Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

Looking to turbo my 2005 2.5RS.... HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:55 PM

Looking to turbo my 2005 2.5RS.... HELP PLEASE!

ok... just purchased a 2005 2.5RS..... thinking of down the road tossing a turbo in the mix. I just have a couple questions....

1. What would be a good turbo to get?
2. What would be involved in doing this?
3. What kind of price range would I be dealing with?
4. What are some of the things to look for when buying and getting this put in?
5. Anything else I should know??

Any help would be appreciated.... Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:44 PM

Car Info: Impreza
Arrow

I second this question, but you guys could answer it a bit more open: say.... instead a 2.5, a J-Spec 2.0 NON Turbo engine (I think it's the same as the WRX but without the turbo, so it shouldn't be that difficult)

We really appreciate your help! hehe

Thanks!

Rafael.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
I don't know the specific specs of the 2.5 RS but I know that the components are not a beefy as the turbo models.

In all honesty, if you have the money, build up a 2.5 L turbo engine and do a complete swap. I don't have a ton of info on this but I have seen some threads where guys have some serious reliability issues with turboing a non turbo engine. Reguardless, you will need to do a build up of the 2.5 L RS engine to handle the boost. With out build up, I wouldn't go above 4 to 6 psi.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:05 AM

Car Info: 2001 RS-T, BRP
Well....there is NO reason why a turbo EJ25 cannot be reliable. I ran then AVO kit at 7psi for 35k before I decided to upgrade to an EJ257 Hybrid.

Now, AVO Kit ABout $4200. Good gauges from $200-1K.

Check out www.RalliTek.com and go to the forums..they will be coming out with their own kit soon. Price will be cheaper than AVO also.

Don't forget the other must have items for a turbo RS like 2.5-3" exhaust and definately a much stronger clutch.

My Hybid is out of my car now getting WRX heads to go in my wagon. The STOCK EJ25 is back in with a GT28R turbo, 740cc injectors, FMIC, and a Greddy E-Manage Blue.

I will be running 10psi on that setup and forsee no problems. (As long as you have a good tune)

Although...if you can swing it.....go with an EJ20 swap. Less work in the long run.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Tats
Well....there is NO reason why a turbo EJ25 cannot be reliable. I ran then AVO kit at 7psi for 35k before I decided to upgrade to an EJ257 Hybrid.

Now, AVO Kit ABout $4200. Good gauges from $200-1K.

Check out www.RalliTek.com and go to the forums..they will be coming out with their own kit soon. Price will be cheaper than AVO also.

Don't forget the other must have items for a turbo RS like 2.5-3" exhaust and definately a much stronger clutch.

My Hybid is out of my car now getting WRX heads to go in my wagon. The STOCK EJ25 is back in with a GT28R turbo, 740cc injectors, FMIC, and a Greddy E-Manage Blue.

I will be running 10psi on that setup and forsee no problems. (As long as you have a good tune)

Although...if you can swing it.....go with an EJ20 swap. Less work in the long run.
If you are already dropping 5k for this kit, do an engine swap instead. If you're smart you could get a built engine for that much, that would pull harder, last longer, ect than if you simply bolt on a turbo to your rs motor. Some of the vendors like gruppe s have built motors that should meet your needs. Do a search for a guy named supermoose. He is all over Nabisco, and now on i-club too, and knows his stuff about motor swaps. I worked with him recently on suspension, and was amazed at his subie knowledge. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:29 PM
sdh

Car Info: 2005 2.5 RS Impreza Wagon
turbo a non-turbo engine

the engine blocks for turbo motors, both 2.0 and 2.5, are much more internally reinforced.

also, on a regular motor the heads are interchangeable left/right, and not so on the turbo motors.

how about an intake, better exhaust, etc. instead 165 hp 166 pound feet is a good bit.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:50 AM

Car Info: 2001 2.5 RS coupe Silverthorn
why the desire to interchange the heads left and right? multiple lotsa right heads or somthing?

intake exhaust whatevrs is really a waste of your time. i can hook up a JDM twin turbo kit for $450 if you want the real deal setup for fun with stock ej25 and easy boost from 6-15 psi if you have the motor for it. full manifolds (intake and exhaust), up pipes, turbines, etc.

I'd budget $750 or so for a full twin turbo setup on your NA. decently cheap, and decent power ~ 200 crank with tons of torque is easy to come by safely.

that having been said, i can hook u up with a full EJ20K JDM WRX motorset of clip; ive got a VF22 280hp clip showing up in my warehouse on tuesday- quite the delightful combination......

will sell as COMPLETE motorset with COMPLETE 45 lbs of wiring, ecu, and all attached stuff (turbine/ic/wiring etc).

PM if serious. you'll spend less than a AVO turbo kit and get WAY better results.....

unless a aftermarket turbo'ed NA motor has more than $10,000 in it, my JDM WRX will walk it. ANYDAY.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by supermoose
why the desire to interchange the heads left and right? multiple lotsa right heads or somthing?

intake exhaust whatevrs is really a waste of your time. i can hook up a JDM twin turbo kit for $450 if you want the real deal setup for fun with stock ej25 and easy boost from 6-15 psi if you have the motor for it. full manifolds (intake and exhaust), up pipes, turbines, etc.

I'd budget $750 or so for a full twin turbo setup on your NA. decently cheap, and decent power ~ 200 crank with tons of torque is easy to come by safely.

that having been said, i can hook u up with a full EJ20K JDM WRX motorset of clip; ive got a VF22 280hp clip showing up in my warehouse on tuesday- quite the delightful combination......

will sell as COMPLETE motorset with COMPLETE 45 lbs of wiring, ecu, and all attached stuff (turbine/ic/wiring etc).

PM if serious. you'll spend less than a AVO turbo kit and get WAY better results.....

unless a aftermarket turbo'ed NA motor has more than $10,000 in it, my JDM WRX will walk it. ANYDAY.

werd, I've seen this car walk a twin turbo porsche. ;-) Simply amazing, and an excellent budget way to build the crap out of a Subaru for twisty and trackalicious fun.

Last edited by subabu05; 11-06-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:52 PM

dont over look turboing the 2.5 or even 2.2/1.8s. granted in the long run you will see way more performance from a swap. but if all you desire is slightly more power say 200whp and 200+ft/lbs. the turboed NA is teh way to go.

for under 2k you can put together you own turbo kit (if you know your stuff/subies) and run 5-6 PSI and have 200whp. thats plenty to walk on stock wrxs. it all depends on how far you want to go with the car. eventually to get more power you will need to change short blocks to a ej257 or ej20. but this could be done later, and still utilize the same kit.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by subabu05
werd, I've seen this car walk a twin turbo porsche. ;-) Simply amazing, and an excellent budget way to build the crap out of a Subaru for twisty and trackalicious fun.
Are you serious? A 200 hp car walked a twin turbo porsche? No offence to any Suby owners (I am one myself) but no 200 whp RS is going to walk a porsche... My 360 whp Stage 4 STI ~ 450 crank hp, is only now able to compete with a turbo porsche and it I would have to out drive it, not out power it.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:20 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by supermoose

Dude, I don't mean to be a d*ck but there is no F-ing way that you can twin turbo any car for $750! And then include a the piping to go along with it!!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by depdivr
Are you serious? A 200 hp car walked a twin turbo porsche? No offence to any Suby owners (I am one myself) but no 200 whp RS is going to walk a porsche... My 360 whp Stage 4 STI ~ 450 crank hp, is only now able to compete with a turbo porsche and it I would have to out drive it, not out power it.
That's cause it wasn't 200 hp. ;-) It was a full sti ra swap into a gc8... we are talking 300 plus hp, in a much lighter car, with an sti ra tranny that makes full use of the power band.