Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

Contemplating upgrading turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:47 PM

Car Info: 2006 wrx
Contemplating upgrading turbos

This is a pretty general question but someone do their best; When you upgrade to a bigger turbo, how does that effect the life of the engine? I simply cann't justify a bigger turbo if it decreases the life of the engine 70,000 miles or more. I have heard that upgrading turbos will at best give me around 100,000 miles out of the car if that. Is this true? I would say be happy if I could tell the future and say that if it was stock that the car would last 200,000 miles and because of an upgraded turbo it lowered it to 150,000 miles. That would be acceptable. Again, I know a lot depends on tune and driving habits. But say I drove conservative mostly and got a great dependable tune, how would this effect the life of the engine.
Secondly, why do so many people suggest getting a 20g turbo on a 2.5 liter? What's wrong with going with a 16g? To me it's kind of like saying, why did you get a wrx, you should have just gotten a corvette. 1)I'm guessing that a bigger turbo will decrease the life of the engine moreso then a smaller one. 2) A bigger turbo will cost more. So it depends on financial reasons too. 3) Thirdly, why does the turbo setup have to make 350 whp (20g). Maybe some people are happy with 300whp or 270whp, as well they should be because even at those numbers, that is stupid quick. Again, a wrx producing 280whp will last longer than a 340whp set up correct? (holding driver stupidity and tuning constant) 4) Transmission would also play a huge factor in what turbos to upgrade. Pushing more horsepower out of any tranny will make it more likely to fail then a lower hp number. To me, the only way I could say "20g perfect for the 2.5 liter" is when that person has a built tranny, unlimited sources of funds, wants a lot of horsepower, and doesn't care if car will only last 80,000 miles.

Last edited by bl0wnb0xerbabiE; 09-28-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:12 PM

Car Info: 2004 Wrx
ok i will attempt to answer this....

1. A 20g is a good turbo for a 2.5L motor because it is big and produces load of top end, on a 2Liter motor it'll be too laggy.

2. A 16g is a great turbo, its a very good turbo for a wrx but just doesnt provide the top end that a 2.5L motor is capable of making.

3. Its only natural to want more hp, why make less horsepower when you can make more.

4. A 280whp setup should but might not outlast a 350whp set up. Yes it will bring extra stress on your car, including your transmission. If you want reliable horsepower get a 16g with a conservative tune. Evo's come stock with those and even though Mitsubishi quality stinks, those engines can last quite a while if you take care of them. Just go with whatever floats your boat. Its called tuning for a reason, your in control and its your costume tune.