Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

can i reach my 200-250hp goal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 06:13 PM

Question can i reach my 200-250hp goal?

i have a 98 impreza L 2.2
my big question is would i be able to reach my 200-250 hp goal with used random e-bay parts list? i dont have much of a budget so i need to buy cheap......i was wondering first of all if this is even possible.....my second question is what would be a good turbo to pull from a junk car? preferably one with quicker than average spool up time.....and what other parts would i need besides a BOV and wastegate, intercooler,injectors, fuel pump and RRFPR and various piping bits and pieces?
and a third question.....what would be a good cheap bet for engine management?
i have a dream of making my car at least as quick as a stock WRX.....is it possible to do on a budget?
ive heard of people throwing together a budget kit and maxing out what the engines internals can handle, can i pull it off?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:15 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
On a budget....probably not (maybe).

Well, I should clarify. It will be hard to make a reliable car on a budget. You can't skimp on stuff that is going to make the car safe (quality tune).

The more I think of it you really should explain your budget.

I think it would be hard to add a turbo for less than a couple grand to do it right.

You can try bolt on parts keeping it NA (naturally aspirated), however, I think you will have trouble reaching the 200+ mark without adding things like cams and other expensive goodies. Eh, I don't know enough about your car but I think my statements hold water. Someone else chime in.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:18 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
And I suspect you are referring to crank horse power goals.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:08 PM

yes at the crank is fine
my budget is horrible....i can mabey save 100 bucks a month for parts, but i'd like to have it all together and working before winter, cause working on a car sucks in the cold...i dont have a garage
Old 04-25-2005, 08:08 PM

actualy 200 on the butt dyno would be great
Old 04-25-2005, 08:23 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
have you considered doing suspension mods? while they won't add horsepower, they will make the car a blast to drive, a decent spring strut combo shouldn't run you more than $500 (a little bit more if you have to pay to have it installed) plus $50-75 for an alignment and you'll see noticeable differences in the way the car handles. wheel/tire package you can probably get something pretty decent for ~$1000, which will be another noticeable change. exhaust can be done for relatively inexpensive depending on how far you go with it (anywhere from a couple hundred to a grand). basically my suggestion would be to save for a few months until you have enough to do something that you will actually notice.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:28 PM

i have nice yokohamas and semi expensive struts on my car, the handling is just fine for the time being, im focusing on horsepower right now.....does anybody think it would be wrong in any way to pull a turbo from an older turbo legacy? it'd be just dandy since it comes from a 2.2l and should spool up pretty quick no?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:32 PM

oh i was also told there is a slightly thicker than stock anti-roll bar in the rear but i didnt buy or install it, came with the car, so i cant really tell how it handles better than stock, but im sure it must right?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
For n/a mods, there is actually alot more you can do fairly inexpensively, that will give you decent hp gains.....how much hp does your car have right now? You say you want 200-250 hp, but dont state what you are starting with.

that said, you could get:

CAI on ebay for el cheapo brand CAI >$50 or pay up to $200-300 for a nice AEM or Injen CAI.

Exhaust header: Here's a nice Borla on ebay for a n/a2.2L actually...buy it now $400

Then ofcourse the cat back system again on ebay for >$300

I'm guessing you have spark plug wires too, so dont ignore your ignition system....

Spark plugs, S/P wires, Nice MSD ignition coil (dont skimp on this stuff), etc.

and ofcourse your fuel system....rails, injectors and fuel pump

lightened Crank pulley is a good one too, and if its a m/t, a lightened flywheel too.

Those are all the basics, all that stuff with a GOOD tune at around $500-700 or so.....(I dunno, I paid like $525 for mine a year or so ago.) Should put you well into the 200-250+ HP range.

.....next you start getting into some pretty serious projects like porting and polishing the heads(or just flat out getting better heads all together), forged pistons, sleeves, balance the crankshaft, and play with the cams and running a higher compression......etc, etc.....the list goes on and on.....but that is an expensive list right there, and if you can afford to do all that stuff.....then I'd just say do a STI swap and be done........nuff said.

thats just what I would do though

-Ted

Last edited by GotBoost?; 04-26-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:38 PM

200 to 250 on an NA tune? seriously?

well then heres another question....would it be cheaper to go the NA route or the turbo route to reach 200? i'd even consider a supercharger if it were cheaper....the more used parts the better.....

Last edited by Impooter; 04-27-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:44 PM

and right now my engine is pretty much stock cept for pulleys and K&N filter so mabey 145 horse on a good day since shes got some miles on her
Old 04-28-2005, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Impooter
200 to 250 on an NA tune? seriously?

well then heres another question....would it be cheaper to go the NA route or the turbo route to reach 200? i'd even consider a supercharger if it were cheaper....the more used parts the better.....
JUST a tune will most likely NOT get you that much HP...you will need to bolt on quite a few parts before you have a tune in order to yield that much HP.

Here's the problem with putting a turbo on your n/a 2.2.....Subaru made 2 different 2.2L blocks...one is designed specifically to be n/a....the other is designed as a turbo block....there is a difference between the two....and although putting a turbo on a n/a block is possible, I would not recommend it....engines with turbos were designed for a turbo...they have lower compresson than an n/a engine, and the block itself is cast different. I believe on a 2.2 the turbo blocks are semi-closed decks - a much stronger design than the fully open deck block on an n/a.

so, yes, its possible....but then you run the risk of blowing a head gasket, or worse....cracking the block with the added boost pressure, on an engine that was not designed to handle a turbo.

also, the layout of a subaru engine (horizontally opposed) makes it very difficult to put a supercharger on the engine, esp. since superchargers are belt driven...so that option would take some pretty serious custom fabrication in order to successfully put a S/C on.

-Ted
Old 04-28-2005, 04:18 PM

so about how much boost do you think it could handle? i was hoping for about 7 to 10 max but would that be too much? who has turbo'ed an open deck ej22 and what were you able to run for boost??
Old 04-29-2005, 12:04 AM

I am currently pushing 250-280 chp on my 2.2 NA block. Thats 7 psi supercharged AND a 60 shot of nitrous.

To get to 200 plus chp on a 2.2 takes money. At least $1500-2000. There are many ways to get there, but it takes money, money, money.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

/\ there's yer answer

reddevil: You are running a supercharger? How did you mount it? I am curious....can I see pics please?

-Ted

Quick Reply: can i reach my 200-250hp goal?