i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines (https://www.i-club.com/forums/aftermarket-forced-induction-turboed-factory-na-engines-62/)
-   -   bov question (https://www.i-club.com/forums/aftermarket-forced-induction-turboed-factory-na-engines-62/bov-question-171654/)

BiGR3D8o8 10-03-2007 12:07 PM

kool! probably picking that one up

808subaru 10-03-2007 09:46 PM

Not to sound harsh, but seriously, sell your car, go back to your honda please. I speak from experience on this. Keep your stock bypass valve. Mines loud, with all the mods. If you want the loud sound, just sell your wrx and get a turboed civic. Make it loud, b/c i know you aren't about performance. Do some research on BOV's and you will see what we are talking about.
You asked for opinions, you got some.
BTW, this is a NA forum, so this question doesn't belong here, if you are talking about a wrx. If an RS turboed, then i could understand.

We return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

medicSTi 10-04-2007 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=808subaru;1995739]Not to sound harsh, but seriously, sell your car, go back to your honda please. I speak from experience on this. Keep your stock bypass valve. Mines loud, with all the mods. If you want the loud sound, just sell your wrx and get a turboed civic. Make it loud, b/c i know you aren't about performance. Do some research on BOV's and you will see what we are talking about.
You asked for opinions, you got some.
BTW, this is a NA forum, so this question doesn't belong here, if you are talking about a wrx. If an RS turboed, then i could understand.

We return you to your regularly scheduled programming.[/QUOTE]

Who are you to say he should go back to a turboed civic just because he wants a bov??

TONS of Subaru owners on this forum as well as others have bovs, hybrid bovs, and even after market bpvs. They CAN be necessary on really built cars and even if they aren't its the owners choice. Who are you to tell him to go back to a Honda because he wants a BOV.

Yes the stock BPV is best until high boost applications, but its not your car or your choice.

With that said, guy who wants the BOV, know youll run rich and have idle problems until you get a tune if you get a 100% atmospheric BOV. You can get a hyrbid BOV that can be 100% atmoshperic, 50/50, or 100% recirculating. The recirculating is BEST for your motor and CAN sound nice if you have TBE and an intake, but for a loud woosh go 50/50 or 100% atmo.

808subaru 10-04-2007 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=wrxtunerd;1996256]Who are you to say he should go back to a turboed civic just because he wants a bov??

TONS of Subaru owners on this forum as well as others have bovs, hybrid bovs, and even after market bpvs. They CAN be necessary on really built cars and even if they aren't its the owners choice. Who are you to tell him to go back to a Honda because he wants a BOV.

Yes the stock BPV is best until high boost applications, but its not your car or your choice.

With that said, guy who wants the BOV, know youll run rich and have idle problems until you get a tune if you get a 100% atmospheric BOV. You can get a hyrbid BOV that can be 100% atmoshperic, 50/50, or 100% recirculating. The recirculating is BEST for your motor and CAN sound nice if you have TBE and an intake, but for a loud woosh go 50/50 or 100% atmo.[/QUOTE]
What I am saying is this. There are many problems experienced by replacing the valve on what i consider an otherwise stock car. I am tuned and although my car is a DD, it is a driver's car. I consider it a great track and auto-x car. You don't live where i live\. This guy does. So many people get these cars here to simply rice it up, and sell it for something else. Subaru's are a trend, a fad if you will. That's why I'm saying if you are in it for the sound, continue with my statement.
Yes, they can be necessary on fully built cars, his is not obviously. Sell your car to a driver, and leave the driving to us.
Don't judge me, you don't know me. Many Subaru wrx/sti's who have been dyno-tuned here go back to the stock bypass valve. Why? There must be a reason. Many i-clubbers here get butthurt when they are attacked. that's the only way newbies learn. I own several subaru's. I would think i know a little.
I would rather drive badass on a stock car, than what he posted about a "BOV sounding badass". He also asked how to install one. C'mon really. Next he's gonna ask how to do an oil change, or 'where's the best place to get oil change".
I'm tired of hearing these Q's from neewbies. Been there, heard that. I took much criticism way back when. That's how you learn.
I was about to post in this forum about turbo vs S.C. my 2008 N/A subaru 6cyl. Then i came across this post. That's when i realized maybe there wasn't any info for me to attain in this area. :(

BiGR3D8o8 10-05-2007 03:30 AM

hey i appreciate the help but i dont appreciate someone who says dont judge me and yet all he does is bark out all this crap saying this and how i should do that...seems like youre doing alot of the judging. im not into a subaru beacause its a so called FAD, i like the car but hey, you would probably know that considering you think i drove a civic. oh and isnt what im doing is getting some research, i never came out and said hey, i would like to JUDGED by a complete jerk off. but hey for all i know, doing what you do could be your hobby, and simply you get off on such crap. i mean to go out of your way to complain on WHAT I DO WITH MY CAR! wow man... good stuff! oh and i want my car to be loud and if i wanted full performance i think i would of gotten a Sti but then again you would have already known that. oh dont worry all im trying to do is give you the credit you so ask for. and youre right you probably owned a few subarus and really i dont give a crap. i can get info from people who actually want to help where on the other you... well you know,

BiGR3D8o8 10-05-2007 03:31 AM

thanks wrxtunerd for the info an all.

turboedracer 10-05-2007 08:21 AM

do what you want with your car! i used to live on oahu so what if he wasnt to put a bov theres alot of people who are just getting in to moding cars its a learning thing. a bov was the first thing a bought for my subie my car isnt by far a ricer car mines all stock on the outside except the brakes its whats inside that counts :eyebrows: but get what you want for your car dont let others tell you tell you some **** like that.... god cant we all just get along, i remember i-club hawaii being tight and helpful :rofl: good luck on your car

808subaru 10-05-2007 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=BiGR3D8o8;1996807]hey i appreciate the help but i dont appreciate someone who says dont judge me and yet all he does is bark out all this crap saying this and how i should do that...seems like youre doing alot of the judging. im not into a subaru beacause its a so called FAD, i like the car but hey, you would probably know that considering you think i drove a civic. oh and isnt what im doing is getting some research, i never came out and said hey, i would like to JUDGED by a complete jerk off. but hey for all i know, doing what you do could be your hobby, and simply you get off on such crap. i mean to go out of your way to complain on WHAT I DO WITH MY CAR! wow man... good stuff! oh and i want my car to be loud and if i wanted full performance i think i would of gotten a Sti but then again you would have already known that. oh dont worry all im trying to do is give you the credit you so ask for. and youre right you probably owned a few subarus and really i dont give a crap. i can get info from people who actually want to help where on the other you... well you know,[/QUOTE]

Wow, someone's upset. If you had done a search (i mean, there are more BOV posts here than i could ever count) you would have got your answer. Have i met you before? I don't think so. I have however been on all the fundraisers cruises and charity work that hawaii has done in the last 3 years but oh well, most everyone in our region of i-club knows me as generous and polite. I do charity work b/c i enjoy it. I have even organized events and cruises before.
Seriously people's first posts are always about modding the Bov, modding the car. A real driver would learn the limits on a stock car first. Now don't get all upset again, I'm just making a statement that many would agree with. Forget it, do what you like. Also look into getting a boost controller. You can crank it up to max and boost mad powwa yO!

[QUOTE=turboedracer;1996861]do what you want with your car! i used to live on oahu so what if he wasnt to put a bov theres alot of people who are just getting in to moding cars its a learning thing. a bov was the first thing a bought for my subie my car isnt by far a ricer car mines all stock on the outside except the brakes its whats inside that counts :eyebrows: but get what you want for your car dont let others tell you tell you some **** like that.... god cant we all just get along, i remember i-club hawaii being tight and helpful :rofl: good luck on your car[/QUOTE]
Who are you? Ask around, most of hawaii i-club knows me. Helpful? I think people would say that about me all over hawaii i-club. Maybe it's me. I think you are funny dood! Your first mod was a BOV, and don't let others tell you some ****like that? He asked for opinions. Probably validations on his mods. Ah forget it. I know what's on the inside that counts. I have spent thousands of dollars modding the driver. And next year i will spend $6k more to mod the driver. But i don't go around posting it. Simply put, it is the best bank for the buck way to enjoy your car.

But i can't get through to you guys. Nevermind, go buy what you like, just don't ask for opinions, then cry like a little ***** about it when criticisms come your way. OH yeah, there will be another charity even Toys for tots this christmas, if you come out to donate to some underprivileged kids you may get to meet some people. I-club has given me a wealth of info, and i do like to give back. Many people here just take, take, take. :noidea:

Come out to a meet and get to know your fellow suby peeps.

turboedracer 10-05-2007 06:56 PM

lol this is sad this back and forth stuff yeah ive did toys for tots thing too and did some of the cruises, i know you where trying to educate him alittle but yyou where a D*** to this guy cuz he wanted a bov idk , i used to go to the meets and the track meets ,i know plenty of suby guy/girls prob met you before, but im not mad not going to let you get to me , i might meet you out in hawaii again when i come back there but good luck with your car

BiGR3D8o8 10-06-2007 02:43 AM

[QUOTE=turboedracer;1996861]do what you want with your car! i used to live on oahu so what if he wasnt to put a bov theres alot of people who are just getting in to moding cars its a learning thing. a bov was the first thing a bought for my subie my car isnt by far a ricer car mines all stock on the outside except the brakes its whats inside that counts :eyebrows: but get what you want for your car dont let others tell you tell you some **** like that.... god cant we all just get along, i remember i-club hawaii being tight and helpful :rofl: good luck on your car[/QUOTE]

hey thanks man!

LunarHonour 10-06-2007 01:36 PM

wow I think someone has something stuck up their A$$? If the guy wants a BOV then help him, don't judge him! There is nothing wrong with having a BOV. A fully atmospheric one doesn't affect performance that much. Sure it makes you run a little rich when it goes off but its fun to have the car fart. It is also better for the turbo especially at higher boost levels because it releases the pressure faster then the stock re-circulating valve. There are also many BOVs that are 1/2 and 1/2 like the APS one ( [url]http://www.airpowersystems.com/wrx/blow.htm[/url] ) that will not even make you run rich yet will help protect your turbo better and will still sound cool.

808subaru 10-06-2007 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=turboedracer;1997452]lol this is sad this back and forth stuff yeah ive did toys for tots thing too and did some of the cruises, i know you where trying to educate him alittle but yyou where a D*** to this guy cuz he wanted a bov idk , i used to go to the meets and the track meets ,i know plenty of suby guy/girls prob met you before, but im not mad not going to let you get to me , i might meet you out in hawaii again when i come back there but good luck with your car[/QUOTE]

I prolly have met you, i got no beefs with anyone. I wanna put this to rest as well. To bigred808, i hope he finds what he is looking for, and turboedracer nuttin but love. Sorry if i rubbed anyone the wrong way, enjoy your alls cars.
increase the peace
erasing the hate :boom:

808subaru 10-06-2007 02:24 PM

Here's some info

Some Blow off valve info for noobies or as i've heard it called "buuvvs". If the BOV is a VTA (vent to atmosphere) - it absolutely should cause the car to back fire. Unless modified, the BOV is positioned after the MAF (mass air flow sensor). As your turbo pressurizes air, it pulls more air through the intake past your MAF, this air travels from your turbo (now pressurized), to your IC, past the BOV and into your intake manifold. More air = more fuel = more power. Fuel calculations are made by your ECU using the input data from your MAF sensor.

Under WOT (wide open throttle) and running with boost, you are pumping a serious amount of air and fuel into the cylinders to give you the power you need. You rev up and shift, at the point that you shift - your BOV vents to atmosphere but you are still drawing a huge amount of air through the MAF, for a split second your ECU gives an proportionate amount of fuel but you just blew off all the air that would have leaned out your mixture to the correct point. End result is a super rich mixture for a split second at shifts. The unburnt fuel travels out of the block into with your exhaust gas, hits the oxygen rich atmosphere (end of the tail pipe) and ignites... tada! Backfire.

Can you avoid this? Yes, recirculate the BOV vent so that the same amount of air goes into the cylinder, you have the right mixture and no backfire.

Why do race cars run with VTA? It give a feeling of better response from your engine and turbo. This is very slight but none-the-less helpful.

I don't want allot of people out there to have bad information. The fact is that the fastest, most well tuned cars out there (JGTC 300 and 500 cars, Amuse cars, WRC etc) run VTA BOVs that cause backfires. Can you buy a bad BOV, of course - generally if you spend the money, you will get what you pay for. bottom line noobs buy what you want!

91sleeper 10-06-2007 10:21 PM

i'd have to agree with 808subaru here. i mean you have a 2000 2.5rs....must have a turbo kit or a swap....doesn't seem like you did any of the work so either you paid a shop to do it or you bought it like that....do you know what your doing? it's completely your car and up to you what you do with it but before going out and asking a question that has been answered 1000000000000000 times (ultimately leading to the sale of a bov a week later), try doing some research on what the diferences between a bpv and a bov. you'll see that there are no advantages to a bov but a lil noise. do you need to announce to the world that your car has a turbo? does it make you feel good to be able to go "psssshhhh"? is it gonna make you any faster? truth is i think everyone has played around with bov's......what 808subaru was trying to say, was learn from everyones mistakes and buy something that will help you. if you want the sound stick your head out the window and make the pssshhh sound when you shift, it's a lot cheaper. GL on your search and remember the classifieds when your ready to sell the bov next week. BTW next time you can check out the reviews section for opinions on parts, and google works good too.