Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

06 2.5i - worth-it for turbo?

Old 01-24-2006, 05:41 PM

Car Info: '06 black 2.5i
06 2.5i - worth-it for turbo?

hi - got an 06 2.5i... wasn't my choice to get the non-turbo but I got it so I have to makedo.

is it worth it to put a turbo on this thing? what is a high quality kit that isn't too expensive & how much?

just getting ideas for the future.. thnx

100th post!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:42 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
I don't know the abilities of the 06 2.5 L natually aspriated engine but, based off of previous years, the natually asprated engine was built with different components limiting the amount of boost that the engine could reliably take. There is though a very good chance that Suby made a ton of 2.5 L engines routed to go into everything from the 2.5 L non turbo legacy to the WRX to the STI.

Regardless, you do have a bit of work ahead of you.
1) replace most of your exhaust components: Up-pipe and down-pipe as a minimum to accomidate the new turbo.
2) intake manifold will need to be replaced
3) Upgrade ECU to accomidate boost (I think)
4) MAF sensor
5) Injectors
6) Fuel pump
7) Either a FMIC or a TMIC

Its not impossible but it is alot of labor and very expensive parts.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:18 AM

Car Info: 00 RS
All GC models had really short gear ratios than any GD. Thats why I never got a WRX. The 2.5 motor can only take about 5-8lbs of boost. Anything more than that will blow the motor to smitherines. However, if you turbo a 2.5 and only run about 8 lbs of boost, it should be super torquey. Although, are the new 2.5 motors dual or single cams? I also bet the gears aren't as short as the GC models. If thats the case, I wouldn't do it. It would only be cool on early gen stuff.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 AM

Car Info: 03 RS- aspen white, 5 speed
with the IAVC (Intake V-TEC y0!) of the new 2.5L it would be even harder to boost the engine reliably(it's hard enough without it). i am going to give a firm "USE CAUTION" recommendation as the type of engine management needed to control this type of setup would be absolutely impossible to tune correctly with today's technology on the stock block. (unless the current aftermarket ECUs can also control timing with a cam-shift on the subaru engine... i don't think they can)

if you were to replace internals with stronger pieces or use an STI block(not even sure if they're compatible with the 06 heads) you would have a better chance of running boost, but i really don't think you will find it worth it.

just focus on suspension, or if you're dead set on turbo- think of an engine swap or trade-in.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by emosubaru
with the IAVC (Intake V-TEC y0!) of the new 2.5L it would be even harder to boost the engine reliably(it's hard enough without it). i am going to give a firm "USE CAUTION" recommendation as the type of engine management needed to control this type of setup would be absolutely impossible to tune correctly with today's technology on the stock block. (unless the current aftermarket ECUs can also control timing with a cam-shift on the subaru engine... i don't think they can)

if you were to replace internals with stronger pieces or use an STI block(not even sure if they're compatible with the 06 heads) you would have a better chance of running boost, but i really don't think you will find it worth it.

just focus on suspension, or if you're dead set on turbo- think of an engine swap or trade-in.
ty for the info... I'll probably just buy an sti in a few years
Old 01-31-2006, 12:32 PM

looks like ill just try and get ECUtek if its made and some engine mods but no turbo --- thanks for everyones help!