wheel offset - i-Club



Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
mrt10wrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ohio
Drives : 2010 subaru wrx premium
Posts: 7
wheel offset

new guy here, 1st subaru. probably a dumb question, but I see that the stock offset of my 2010 wrx is 55mm. I'm ready to put wheels on my car, but whenever I look at tire rack, discount tire etc. it shows me wheels that have 45-48mm offsets and I don't understand why? I don't want to modify anything, so shouldn't the wheels only be within a few mm of stock?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Registered User
iTrader: (7)
 
flat489's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Saratoga
Drives : '11 STI
Posts: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10wrx View Post
new guy here, 1st subaru. probably a dumb question, but I see that the stock offset of my 2010 wrx is 55mm. I'm ready to put wheels on my car, but whenever I look at tire rack, discount tire etc. it shows me wheels that have 45-48mm offsets and I don't understand why? I don't want to modify anything, so shouldn't the wheels only be within a few mm of stock?
Huh? are you saying you want wheels that are same size and offset as stock?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
mrt10wrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ohio
Drives : 2010 subaru wrx premium
Posts: 7
yes. staying with the 17"
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
It's QQ thankyouverymuch
iTrader: (36)
 
JourdanWithaU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose
Drives : 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Posts: 18,564
You don't want to modify anything. But you want different wheels?

55mm is a pretty high offset. Not a lot of cars have high offset wheels nor do a lot of consumers want high offset wheels. So the manufacturers make lower offset wheels.

48mm is within a few mm of 55mm. A lot of people run +48 without problems. A lot of people run +35 without problems. It's all up to you and what you want.

It looks like you have a '10 which is a narrow body so you don't have endless amounts of space like the widebody WRXs have. You just have to do a little bit of research to see what fits and what you like.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Registered User
iTrader: (7)
 
flat489's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Saratoga
Drives : '11 STI
Posts: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
You don't want to modify anything. But you want different wheels?

55mm is a pretty high offset. Not a lot of cars have high offset wheels nor do a lot of consumers want high offset wheels. So the manufacturers make lower offset wheels.

48mm is within a few mm of 55mm. A lot of people run +48 without problems. A lot of people run +35 without problems. It's all up to you and what you want.

It looks like you have a '10 which is a narrow body so you don't have endless amounts of space like the widebody WRXs have. You just have to do a little bit of research to see what fits and what you like.
+1 The official '08-10 wrx thread - NASIOC cheers
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
mrt10wrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ohio
Drives : 2010 subaru wrx premium
Posts: 7
I guess I'm just confused with the whole offset thing, even though I've researched it. I'm just not looking to lower the car, or have to mess with the fenders etc.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Registered User
iTrader: (7)
 
flat489's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Saratoga
Drives : '11 STI
Posts: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10wrx View Post
I guess I'm just confused with the whole offset thing, even though I've researched it. I'm just not looking to lower the car, or have to mess with the fenders etc.
did you not read jourdans post?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
mrt10wrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ohio
Drives : 2010 subaru wrx premium
Posts: 7
yep
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Technical Know-It-All
 
Brfatal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sterling, VA
Drives : '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Posts: 2,127
Subaru's used high offset wheels, and as such their suspension geometry is designed for use with higher offsets. You want to run as high of an offset that you can while still having enough clearance for your struts. Generally speaking, you never want to go below a +42-45 offset. +48 is the most common offset for aftermarket Subarus wheels and work fine.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
Registered User
iTrader: (7)
 
wrbdanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monterey
Drives : WRX 2005
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Subaru's used high offset wheels, and as such their suspension geometry is designed for use with higher offsets. You want to run as high of an offset that you can while still having enough clearance for your struts. Generally speaking, you never want to go below a +42-45 offset. +48 is the most common offset for aftermarket Subarus wheels and work fine.
Brfatal, nobody gives a damn...
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #11
It's QQ thankyouverymuch
iTrader: (36)
 
JourdanWithaU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose
Drives : 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Posts: 18,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbdanny View Post
Brfatal, nobody gives a damn...
Actually, his **** is pretty insightful.




Sometimes.




This is one of those times though.
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
Registered User
iTrader: (8)
 
WRX~Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Modesto, California
Drives : 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Posts: 2,047
I have a 2008 WRX and can be a bit of a wheel *****. I have had as low as a 30 offset and as high as the stock 53 offset. Never had a problem where I had to modify my suspension. The 30 offset did require me to do a small rear fender roll because they were 17x9.5. You'll be fine with a 45-48mm offset
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
Technical Know-It-All
 
Brfatal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sterling, VA
Drives : '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Posts: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbdanny View Post
Brfatal, nobody gives a damn...
....about? I'm sorry for answering his question? Perhaps you'd tell him to just get 18x11.5 -10s because it would make his car so JDM?
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #14
Registered User
iTrader: (7)
 
wrbdanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monterey
Drives : WRX 2005
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brfatal View Post
....about? I'm sorry for answering his question? Perhaps you'd tell him to just get 18x11.5 -10s because it would make his car so JDM?
with negative camber and stretched tires
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
mrt10wrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ohio
Drives : 2010 subaru wrx premium
Posts: 7
The wheels are 40mm, so if wrx mike went as low as 30 without issues then it should be fine, thanks
Offline
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTT / Trade: Enkei NT03+ Wheels, +27 Offset for +40 Offset b00staholic NorCal Classifieds 11 11-28-2012 10:43 PM
FS: Advan RG2 18x8.5 45 offset & Rays RS-Zero 17x7.5 48 offset beat Used Aftermarket Car Parts For Sale 1 06-02-2010 05:31 AM
New 18" rims for my Legacy GT has a different offset (was: Off offset. What do I do?) J-DUBB Wheel & Tire 3 09-22-2006 05:06 PM
35mm offset vs 48mm offset same width wheel? I'VE SEARCHED LukeSTi Wheel & Tire 5 08-07-2005 06:55 PM
Nissan Maxima wheel offset fatcatturbo Wheel & Tire 2 02-19-2003 08:38 AM


Tags
common, offset, wheels

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.