Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Newb to tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 04
Newb to tuning

Sorry people I am new to the tuning scene so if these questions are retarded you have full permission to flame ;P
So I am getting a full invidia TBE that comes with a AP. I am curious if I need to take my car to a tuner right away or can I just flash to stage 2 with the AP and cruise for awhile till I save up for tuner. My car has 120000 miles on it but has been maintained very well, it was bone stock when I picked it up. Still no mods on it but exhaust will be the first.
I also see people talking about which gas they use for the tune and how some get more power from 85. Wouldn't they get more from 91? I fill up at chevron and always get 91 for my 04 wrx. Isn't 91 better then 85?
Thanks guys always appreciate your advice
Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon, 14 Forester XT, 96 Miata
If you plan to get mods in the future beyond your turboback, like a turbo upgrade, you should stick to the Cobb Stage 2 tune until you are ready to get those other mods. If you going to stop with the turboback, it might be worth it to get a tune. It depends on you. I got a custom tune after installing my turboback and have been happy with it. But you will save money by going with the Cobb OTS map.

People can make more power running E85 fuel but that requires a custom tune and some supporting mods (injectors?), I believe. So stick to the 91.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 04
Sweet thanks! I am going to put a couple more mods into the car but nothing to crazy since its my DD and already has high mileage. That will be further down the road though. Thanks for the help I rly appreciate it!
Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 1999 2.5rs
You can run the ots map but you will run rich. Nothing deadly, but not exact. I always thought it was a better idea to stack your mods, then install when you have dyno money, but them again I did run the stage 3 ots map with my vf39 for a while so it's really based on you. Reputable dyno will always be better because they're car specific since Cobb maps are a one-size fits all and not all subarus are the same.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:03 PM

Car Info: 1999 2.5rs
Originally Posted by debbid
If you plan to get mods in the future beyond your turboback, like a turbo upgrade, you should stick to the Cobb Stage 2 tune until you are ready to get those other mods. If you going to stop with the turboback, it might be worth it to get a tune. It depends on you. I got a custom tune after installing my turboback and have been happy with it. But you will save money by going with the Cobb OTS map. People can make more power running E85 fuel but that requires a custom tune and some supporting mods (injectors?), I believe. So stick to the 91.
To run ethanol on a wrx all you would really need are low impedance injectors (my favorites are ID 1000+ cc's), and a capable fuel pump. Of course you need a protune also.