Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Study Finds Abortion Rising Under Bush

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
Study Finds Abortion Rising Under Bush

In the spirit of some of the things I see posted in this forum, I thought this would be a great read:

Study Finds Abortion Rising Under Bush, Linked to Economic Policies

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2275999&EDATE=

Original Study here:
http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action...issue=041013#5

qoute:
"Under President Bush, the decade-long trend of declining abortion rates appears to have reversed. Given the trends of the 1990s, 52,000 more abortions occurred in the United States in 2002 than would have been expected before this change of direction.

First, two thirds of women who abort say they cannot afford a child (Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life Web site). In the past three years, unemployment rates increased half again. Not since Hoover had there been a net loss of jobs during a presidency until the current administration.

Second, half of all women who abort say they do not have a reliable mate . As male unemployment increases, marriages fall and abortion rises.

Third, women worry about health care for themselves and their children. Since 5.2 million more people have no health insurance now than before this presidency - with women of childbearing age overrepresented in those 5.2 million - abortion increases. "

Ouch. I wonder what all those pro-life republicans think of this? Child rearing is just a little easier (sarcasm) when you have money in the bank, a husband, and a job.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:01 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
That Sojourners article is awesome. I have passed it on to countless people, people of faith and atheists alike.

One thing not really brought up is the dilapidated state of the foster care system. I have seen with my own eyes how fubarred the system is. If people were truly pro-life, they should invest more money into the children that are born into this world
Old 10-15-2004, 11:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I understand the economic approach to this but you can't blame Bush.

I'd like you to convince me that a ***** falls into a vagina on accident and accidentally blow it's load to equal a baby.

It's an interesting comparison but these people are making a series of choices to lead to the pregnancy and another series of choices to abort said fetus.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:19 AM

I agree with you wholeheartedly dub2w, as I have also been witness to foster care. I am disturbed by GW's idea of maternity ghetto's and foster care as an alternative to abortion. It conjurs thoughts of "Let them eat cake..." because there is a lack of understanding of the needs of individuals going through such a hard decision. Its easy to adjudicate from way up high.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
Are you saying that you cannot blame Bush for unemployment and health care? Didn't we just have a debate where Bush declared his economic and health care plans superior to Kerry's?
Old 10-15-2004, 11:28 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Salty: agreed. There needs to be personal accountability, but that doesnt completely discount the points brought up in the aforementioned article.

Synco: werd. Well put
Old 10-15-2004, 11:33 AM

Car Info: '02 WRagon

I'd like you to convince me that a ***** falls into a vagina on accident and accidentally blow it's load to equal a baby.

It's an interesting comparison but these people are making a series of choices to lead to the pregnancy and another series of choices to abort said fetus.
exactly.
i'm pro-choice: by making the choice to lay on your back and spread your legs, you've now made the choice to step up and take the responisbility of said action.

all boils down to people being anti-acountability.
________
K5 blazer

Last edited by pozzi; 04-09-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:35 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by syncopation
Are you saying that you cannot blame Bush for unemployment and health care? Didn't we just have a debate where Bush declared his economic and health care plans superior to Kerry's?
No.

But regardless of correlation between unemployment, healthcare and abortion there's still "personal accountability" as mentioned by dub2w. I understand the point of the article but you can't blame bush for the pregnancy in the first place.

All bets are off and responsibility is solely on the parents shoulders when that drop of semen enters the vagina. No refunds, no returns, nothing!

EDIT: For the record i'm Pro-Choice also.

Last edited by Salty; 10-15-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by N600
exactly.
i'm pro-choice: by making the choice to lay on your back and spread your legs, you've now made the choice to step up and take the responisbility of said action.

all boils down to people being anti-acountability.
Not entirely so as there is always exceptions to every rule. (ie. The woman who gets raped, does she not have a right to not have said rapists' child?)

Unfortunately there will always be someone who uses abortion as birth control. How anyone thinks they can regulate what someone does with their own body is beyond me. Although I do agree that partial birth abortion should be illegal. This is a very tough topic to tackle.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Here's my personal stance even though i'm 100% pro-choice:

1)***** + Vagina = Burden of Responsibly above anyone -or- anything else. You can get 10 abortions in a row but you have nobody to blame but yourself & your action(s).

2)Forced Pregnancy (i.e. Rape, Twisted Uncle)= Abortion without question unless the mother wants to keep the baby for a personal reason.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Here's my personal stance even though i'm 100% pro-choice:

1)***** + Vagina = Burden of Responsibly above anyone -or- anything else. You can get 10 abortions in a row but you have nobody to blame but yourself & your action(s).

2)Forced Pregnancy (i.e. Rape, Twisted Uncle)= Abortion without question unless the mother wants to keep the baby for a personal reason.
Agreed 100%
Old 10-15-2004, 12:02 PM

No.

But regardless of correlation between unemployment, healthcare and abortion there's still "personal accountability" as mentioned by dub2w. I understand the point of the article but you can't blame bush for the pregnancy in the first place.

All bets are off and responsibility is solely on the parents shoulders when that drop of semen enters the vagina. No refunds, no returns, nothing!

EDIT: For the record i'm Pro-Choice also.
I agree. I thought you were debunking the link between the presidents policies and economic conditions.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:05 PM

Personally I would be hard pressed to ask a girl to have a abortion. To be honest I would let her make the choice. Besides that I as a individual don't have the right to enforce my beliefs on others.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline

You cant blame Bush, I agree. But honestly, don't you think if these rolls were reversed the anti-choice people WOULD be blaming Kerry?

-Chris
Old 10-15-2004, 12:40 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
You cant blame Bush, I agree. But honestly, don't you think if these rolls were reversed the anti-choice people WOULD be blaming Kerry?

-Chris
I'm not doubting it...

Quick Reply: Study Finds Abortion Rising Under Bush