Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...
View Poll Results: What do you think of the publisher replacing the "n-word" with "slave"?
This is censorship! It's the language they used back then, so keep it.
100.00%
It's just modernization. If it helps people understand the subject matter, it's fine..
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

New edition of 'Huckleberry Finn' to lose the 'n' word

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
New edition of 'Huckleberry Finn' to lose the 'n' word

According to Publishers Weekly, NewSouth Books’ upcoming edition of Mark Twain’s seminal novel Adventures of Huckleberry Finn will remove all instances of the “n” word—I’ll give you a hint, it’s not nonesuch—present in the text and replace it with slave. The new book will also remove usage of the word Injun. The effort is spearheaded by Twain expert Alan Gribben, who says his PC-ified version is not an attempt to neuter the classic but rather to update it.
http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/01/03/...r-edit/?hpt=T2

I found the book boring myself, but I is a classic so I can see a debate becoming of it. And for the sake of this debate what do you guys think? Is it censorship, or just modernization of classic literature?

Last edited by newyorkreload; 01-04-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Censorship.

Only a small section of the work is being modified for the over sensitive ***gots that exist in today's world.

If they want "modernization" the entire story must be rewritten.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
I'm not really the literary type, but I think this just totally changes the book. That word is there for a reason and reflects the time. Total censorship.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
censorship, only god damn tree ****ing hippies that have become sensative because its cool, would ever want to change something like Mark Twain's Huck Finn. The word is part of the ****ing book.

i would like to see an elephant do a one leg balance act on the head of the person that originally came up with that idea.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Lame. If they're gonna censor the n-word and "Injun", what about the whole "Blue Arab" thing?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 2015 Murano, 2017 NGM Camaro SS
Film`s should be kept as is, imo.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM

Car Info: should i get brz, bro?
sometimes censorship creates better cash flow. toning down the language allows a broader group of readers to enjoy the book, whereas old terminology might seem derogatory language to certain group or individuals. also, it makes the original editions more valuable and creates greater current/future sales. and people's opinions will sway to and fro...
Old 05-04-2011, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Wow - this forum isn't seeing much traffic!

My feeling on this censorship is that it is trying to brush under the rug a part of our history which we'd rather forget than own up to. When the book was written, not that long ago, it was perfectly acceptable to use these words. They should be kept in the books to remind us of where we came from and what we have done. Ignoring the wrongs of our past does not make them go away.
I said the "n" word in front of my grandfather when I was about 9 years old and living in southwest Missouri. He sat me down and said, "Your great grand children would still be paying for the sins my father and grandfathers committed against the colored man. You need to understand that saying n***** is hurtful. All people are just that - people. Some are good and some are not. If you've been wronged, you'd be better off saying why you're upset to get it off your chest." Grandpa is not a sophisticated or politically correct man and I don't agree with him on a lot of things, but I think he was right on with owning up to our history - good and bad.