Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Chinese County Massacres 50,000 Dogs

Old 08-02-2006, 07:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Chinese County Massacres 50,000 Dogs

Where the **** is PETA now?
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...i032650D09.DTL
Old 08-02-2006, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I read this story yesterday. China is still a barbaric country and its leaders have no idea about anything concerning human rights or animal cruelty. Offer the pet owners 63 cents to kill their own dogs?

Be forewarned that the news story link has a couple of pics that show the county officers actually beating a pet dog to death with clubs.

Originally Posted by Associated Press
A county in southwestern China has killed as many as 50,000 dogs in a government campaign ordered after three people died from rabies, official media reported Tuesday.

The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding county spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, the Shanghai Daily reported, citing local media.

Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and beaten on the spot, the newspaper said. Other killing teams entered villages at night, creating noise to get dogs barking, then honing in and beating them to death.

Owners were offered 63 cents per animal to kill their dogs before the teams were sent in, the report said.

The massacre was widely discussed on the Internet, with both legal scholars and animal rights activists criticizing it as crude and cold-blooded. The World Health Organization said more emphasis needed to be placed on prevention.

"Wiping out the dogs shows these government officials didn't do their jobs right in protecting people from rabies in the first place," Legal Daily, a newspaper run by the central government's Politics and Law Committee, said in an editorial in its online edition.

Dr. Francette Dusan, a WHO expert on diseases passed from animals to people, said effective rabies control required coordinated efforts between human and animal health agencies and authorities.

"This has not been pursued adequately to date in China with most control efforts consisting of purely reactive dog culls," Dusan said.

The Shanghai Daily said 360 of Mouding county's 200,000 residents suffered dog bites this year. The three rabies victims included a 4-year-old girl, the report said.

"With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we decided to kill the dogs," Li Haibo, a spokesman for the county government was quoted as saying by the official Xinhua News Agency.

Calls to county government offices rang unanswered on Tuesday.

China has seen a major rise in the number of rabies cases in recent years, with 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last year for which data was available, according to the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Experts have tied the rise in part to an increase in dog ownership, particularly in rural areas where about 70 percent of households keep dogs. Only about 3 percent of Chinese dogs are vaccinated against rabies, according to the center. Access to appropriate treatment is highly limited, especially in the countryside.
--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-03-2006, 09:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I wonder how many dogs are killed for food and hide in China every year? There's footage out there of the industry and it's barbaric in itself. Clubs are ridiculous... a .22 short or some type of punch to the skull would be quick and painless.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Takes 2 seconds to register if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OVu4MhmGcw
Old 08-03-2006, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2005 impreza 2.5rs (sliver,5 speed manual, sports
Originally Posted by Salty
Takes 2 seconds to register if you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OVu4MhmGcw

wow not to many thing make me sick to my stomach, but that was so wrong and mean... how can you even fu**ing live with yourself??? those people should rot in hell!

i know they are animals and not as high as human life but seriously thats just sick! and i HATE cats!

got love for dogs though either way disgusting!
Old 08-04-2006, 12:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Peta and pam anderson are too busy throwing fundraisers in the playboy mansion and protesting the wool made from george bush's suits, to care about anything that happens thousands of miles away in a soveirgn communist nation.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:22 AM

do you guys know of a petition or something i could sign???
Old 08-04-2006, 07:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
You could get a petition with a trillion signatures on it. It wouldn't make a difference. Do you think those people weren't protesting when they snatched up thier dogs and clubbed them to death?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:31 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I read in today's new article at SFGate.com where PETA recommends boycotting of Chinese-made goods. I've been trying to do this for over a year for reasons other than this dog slaughter issue but it's hard to find a pair of inexpensive shoes since almost all U.S. companies have their shoes made in China or a few other overseas countries. The Levi jeans and shorts I wear were made in Mexico and Vietnam, respectively, not China, so I didn't feel quite as guilty about it.

The boycott strategy might be the only one that would work since it puts pressure on U.S. companies doing business with China to improve their image. If it doesn't hurt their bottom line, I don't think they give a ****.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-04-2006, 07:49 PM

wow that sucks! i know what your sayin, it seems everything is made in china, all my jeans are either levi's or american eagle (which are made in the philipines) i dont know if the philipines are any better but at least they're not from china!

i wish there was more i could do...
Old 08-07-2006, 05:18 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
PETA doesnt have a bucket of paint big enough to dump on china....