Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Anti-Abortion Logic

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 05:56 PM

Bigot is one who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Actually a lot of people voted against civil rights for blacks does that make it right? No. You are mixing your faith with the law. And that is UNACCEPTABLE, simply because not everyone believes what you believe. You have stated in past threads how it effects your children and how its immoral. And I showed you how you are WRONG in each of those. And how this goes against the teachings of the Christian faith. You are misguided at best. But I guess I'll explain it to you once again.

Homosexuality is not immoral. And for the billionith time its not a choice, guess what its been scientifically proven. Again the Christian faith teaches acceptance of others. That is one of the greatest things about the bible, to me. Also morals CHANGE through time. Morals are not rigid. Morals confirm to societies needs. Just like 50 years ago it was frowned upon woman wearing pants now its acceptable.

I'll ask once more since you didn't respond to my comments on the last thread. How does gay couples getting married harm you in ANY way? It doesn't. You are imposing your views on them and that is immoral. Also just because the majority of the US are homophobic does not make it RIGHT. Might does not make right.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:01 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
ericdared81:

While I must thank you for the deal on my STi (Shameless plug), I must tell you that no on is forced to say "under God" line or the Pledge, for that matter.
As for gay marriage, as it's not specifically prohibited by the Constitution, it's legal...in those places that don't a local law banning it.

I may not accept gay lifestyles, but I'll tolerate a person's "choice" to living a gay lifestyle. In all honesty, does any person's sexual preference have any bearing/impact on my life?
No.
As long as one doesn't force me to accept their lifestyle, I could really give two poops.
In any case, it's truly a shame that in the 21st Century America, people can't live free.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Originally Posted by Oaf
ericdared81:

While I must thank you for the deal on my STi (Shameless plug), I must tell you that no on is forced to say "under God" line or the Pledge, for that matter.
Thanks for the plug. It's true I'm not forced to say "under god" in the pledge and I don't. But I really don't see why it's there when there is a seperation of church and state and we are suppose to abide by.

It just kind of bugs me. Kind of like if we put "hail allah" in place how many people would lose their minds.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Dirty Redhead

Do you think that people had a hard time accepting the marriage of interracial couples before it was common?

Don't you think that people would have said almost the same thing you just did about gays to them?
Old 11-11-2004, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
Ponder this:
If you were walking down the street with your buddies and came upon two male dogs going at it would you ridicule and/or poke fun at them and have a good laugh?

I am going to be honest and say-- yes; I would at the very least point and laugh and accuse one of my friends of being turned on by it.
LOL That is the funniest thing I have read/heard all day!

Realistically, though, you would laugh if it was a male dog and a female dog anyways so the "example" you use is not really a good one.

Originally Posted by ericdared81
Do you think that people had a hard time accepting the marriage of interracial couples before it was common?

Don't you think that people would have said almost the same thing you just did about gays to them?
The point Eric makes is a good one. When will the discrimination end? The bottom line is gay people are still that, people. They are still Americans and they deserve to have every right and privilege straight americans have. End of story.

Also I don't know why everyone is fighting to "ensure" the sanctity of marriage when the divorce rate in this country is almost at 50 percent now.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
I love when religious and right wing nuts proclaim we must put a stop to gay marriage to ensure it's sanctity. (I said tity) check out this nice little list I found.

Religion % have been divorced
Jews 30%
Born-again Christians 27%
Other Christians 24%
Atheists, Agnostics 21%

Here's another based on location. And to think that the south believes it knows more about values than the "coasts."

Area % are or have been divorced
South 27%
Midwest 27%
West 26%
Northeast 19%

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm

-Chris
Old 11-11-2004, 02:04 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Bigot is one who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
I'm not intolerant, my problem is that we are not putting the right issue to vote. I'm not trying to stop people from being gay, I couldn't care less whom you sleep with. My problem is with the government saying whom can be married, "married" is a loaded word and to many people it means many different things. To most its means being married in a church. In many churches you can't be married if you are of the same sex as your intended spouse. That is up to the church, as far as legality and rights come into question we should all have the same rights as far as a union between the person you are sharing your life with. Like I've said the government should leave marriage to the churches and either endorse and legalize all civil unions between people of legal age, or endorse or recognize none.

You are mixing your faith with the law. And that is UNACCEPTABLE, simply because not everyone believes what you believe. You have stated in past threads how it effects your children and how its immoral. And I showed you how you are WRONG in each of those. And how this goes against the teachings of the Christian faith. You are misguided at best. But I guess I'll explain it to you once again.
Not everyone believes as I believe, no kidding? So its unacceptable to vote as I see fit? I thought that was my right? Its not? I've told you why I vote the way I do, and you don't like it period. Whats right and wrong is up to the person right?
You've showed me I was wrong?! That will be the day!

Homosexuality is not immoral. And for the billionith time its not a choice, guess what its been scientifically proven.
LOL! Wether its immoral or not is up to the individual to decide, not the government and its certainly not up to you to decide for me! I've decided its immoral, so have a lot of other people. Science can't prove or disprove someones sexual preference, that is up for the person to decide. Do you like girls or do you like boys? It seems to me you are the intolerant one, you don't like people having the choice to decide what is moral for them or not.

Again the Christian faith teaches acceptance of others. That is one of the greatest things about the bible, to me. Also morals CHANGE through time. Morals are not rigid. Morals confirm to societies needs. Just like 50 years ago it was frowned upon woman wearing pants now its acceptable.
Yes it teaches acceptance, tolerance and to allow others to do as they see fit. I see fit to not accept gay marriage can you tolerate that? Morals change!? Again that is up to the person, to my knowledge the teachings of the bible have not changed through time. They are the same today as the day they were written. Wether or not someones morals change is up to them not you, why can't you understand that? The question of morals and wether or not they are going to change is each individuals choice. Wether or not they remain "rigid" likewise.

Morals confirm to societies needs. Just like 50 years ago it was frowned upon woman wearing pants now its acceptable.
Morals conform to societies needs? Morals are decided by people, they decide what they need. What does womens fashion have to do with anything?

I'll ask once more since you didn't respond to my comments on the last thread. How does gay couples getting married harm you in ANY way? It doesn't. You are imposing your views on them and that is immoral. Also just because the majority of the US are homophobic does not make it RIGHT. Might does not make right.
I told you in the last thread. Gays being married is up to the church they attend, wether or not they have the same rights as heterosexuals is up to us to decide. If we decide to call it civil unions and give them the same rights as what the government calls married then whats the problem? The problem is that "married" is not up to the government, rights are up to the government, and the people.

Last edited by deyes; 11-11-2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:09 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
There is one thing that's ok to be intolerant of...and that's others intolerance.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Dirty Redhead

There is one problem with leaving marriage up to the churches. Not all marriages are done by churches. What about all the justices of the peace? They need to be able to marry people no matter what churches say.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ericdared81
There is one problem with leaving marriage up to the churches. Not all marriages are done by churches. What about all the justices of the peace? They need to be able to marry people no matter what churches say.
I keep saying, we should not have to go to the government to be married! If you go to a justice of the peace and you are joined in a civil union that is legally binding and affords you the same rights as a marriage then wether or not you are joined in a church in a religious ceremony is of no consequence to your rights.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
There is one thing that's ok to be intolerant of...and that's others intolerance.
Like I said, what you view as ok is up to you. If your being intolerant of my intolerance then your a hypocrite. And if your ok with that then what does it matter what anyone else thinks right?
Old 11-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Dirty Redhead

Originally Posted by deyes
I keep saying, we should not have to go to the government to be married! If you go to a justice of the peace and you are joined in a civil union that is legally binding and affords you the same rights as a marriage then wether or not you are joined in a church in a religious ceremony is of no consequence to your rights.
So even if your not gay, and you get married at a justice of the peace your still not "married" by your standards?
Old 11-11-2004, 02:58 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Talking

Originally Posted by deyes
Like I said, what you view as ok is up to you. If your being intolerant of my intolerance then your a hypocrite. And if your ok with that then what does it matter what anyone else thinks right?

Hahaha, to be honest, I don't really care either way about the argument at hand. My point was that to be intollerant of other peoples intollerance actually isn't hypocritical. If you tollerate other peoples intollerance, then you are in a small way condoning intollerance, which is an intollerant thing to do...on the other hand, your point that being intollerant of intollerance is, in fact, intollerant is also true. So basically, no matter what, everybody is intollerant, no matter how hard they try to be tollerant. But by not tollerating other people's intollerance, at least you are taking the moral high ground by saying that all intollerance is bad, so therefore I do not tollerate anybody's intollerance.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:58 PM

just an interesting question

For the record, I'm for civil unions. I think it's silly that we're arguing over a word. Most people, even anti-gay-marriage types, will support legal rights for homosexuals that are identical as long as they're called "civil unions." Let the traditionalists have marriage, and give homosexuals civil unions at least for now. Fight over the words after you have the right secured, that's what I say.

Here's my question: For everyone who doesn't agree with people voting on moral questions, what about incest?

If a father waits for his daughter to turn 18, should he be allowed to marry her? Why or why not?

There's no scientific or physical health justificaiton for not allowing it. The "inbreeding" idea is mostly junk science. It would take generations upon generations of inbreeding to potentially create a problem.

So, why shouldn't dads be allowed to marry their daughters at 18?

Quick Reply: Anti-Abortion Logic