Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Anti-Abortion Logic

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Originally Posted by deyes
Do you want people to be forced to call other people "married" when they don't believe in gay marriage? If the government recognizes gay couples and heterosexual couples the same that is fine by me, if a gay goes to a church that says they can be married and they are married in that church, again fine by me. But my government forcing me to recognize a gay "marriage" is not fine by me.
You don't have to call them anything. They don't have to be recognized by any church, nor married by a church. This is a government issue regarding the rights that they are allowed by the constitution. The gay community would be married by the state not your church.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:07 PM

But its ok if your government discriminates against them. There is a difference between what you are being "forced" to do and what gays are taken away. The government ask you to recognize them as equals. While you want to take that away from them. Which one is worse? Also you are basing this on your faith, which should have NOTHING to do with the government. While they are basing theres on being EQUALS by the laws of this nation, not the religion.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:16 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by ericdared81
You don't have to call them anything. They don't have to be recognized by any church, nor married by a church. This is a government issue regarding the rights that they are allowed by the constitution. The gay community would be married by the state not your church.
Marriage is a religious, cultural thing. The state should have nothing to do with it.
The state is not a religious entity that should have the authority to "marry" people. Take away that authority and the problem of gay marriage goes away.
As far as rights allowed by the constitution, if a civil union grants those rights then is it settling?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered
But its ok if your government discriminates against them. There is a difference between what you are being "forced" to do and what gays are taken away. The government ask you to recognize them as equals. While you want to take that away from them. Which one is worse? Also you are basing this on your faith, which should have NOTHING to do with the government. While they are basing theres on being EQUALS by the laws of this nation, not the religion.
If they want rights then why the aversion to civil unions? They want to change American culture to view homosexuality as not immoral. That is their agenda. America is saying with its vote that the majority of us still feel that it is immoral, that said for the most part we think that they should have the same rights. We just don't want to call what they have marriage because it offends our faith.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:44 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Do you want people that don't believe in "God" to be forced to say that when they pledge for the great country they live in?
No, I'd prefer they move to Canada.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Dirty Redhead

Marriage is a religious, cultural thing. The state should have nothing to do with it.
The state is not a religious entity that should have the authority to "marry" people. Take away that authority and the problem of gay marriage goes away.
As far as rights allowed by the constitution, if a civil union grants those rights then is it settling?
Marriage isn't a religious thing, I'm agnostic and I'm still getting "Married." It goes beyond the legal issues. It's a way of saying that your bonded more then legal papers ever could. My marriage won't be religious but that doesn't mean it's any less valuable to me to have it called a marriage.

As for HellaDumb's lovely comment that I should move to Canada, F off
Old 11-10-2004, 04:34 PM

Marriage isn't a religious thing, I'm agnostic and I'm still getting "Married." It goes beyond the legal issues. It's a way of saying that your bonded more then legal papers ever could. My marriage won't be religious but that doesn't mean it's any less valuable to me to have it called a marriage.

As for HellaDumb's lovely comment that I should move to Canada, F off
It may not be a religious issue to you but it is to most others. I'm pretty sure that the origins of marriage are religious though. I've been married four years now so I know my reasons for it, I assume that most others married or want to be married for the same reasons. If it goes beyond legal issues then why have the government involved?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Dirty Redhead

It may not be a religious issue to you but it is to most others. I'm pretty sure that the origins of marriage are religious though. I've been married four years now so I know my reasons for it, I assume that most others married or want to be married for the same reasons. If it goes beyond legal issues then why have the government involved?
The whole point is for the government not to be involved. If people would just let same-sex couples marry then the government wouldn't have anything to do with it. But when people start stepping up to block others rights then the government has to step in the enforce the rights of same-sex couples.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:42 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Logic is just what makes sense to someone so its a relative issue.
I disagree here... isn't logic based in mathemetics? Logic is definite, unquestionable, and there isn't more than one version. The concept of 'logic' follows with that of 'true science,' in that it can be proven and modeled with equations. All else is a matter of faith, and is subject to interpretation.

I guess some people may try to say thier faith is based in logic, but I only see this as an effort to solidify the footing of what they'd like to believe, while making it easier to take the 'leap of faith' necessary when holding to such beliefs.

Or maybe I am just naive to and uninformed about various religions and the logic behind them.... you tell me.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:45 PM

Where in the Constitution does it say that same sex couples are allowed to be married? I thought it did not specifically guarantee that right, but Bush will be seeking an ammendment that specifically bans gay marriage. Which is not to say that civil unions between a same sex couple can't yeild the same results, just without calling it marriage.

Last edited by deyes; 11-10-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by scoobsport98
I disagree here... isn't logic based in mathemetics? Logic is definite, unquestionable, and there isn't more than one version. The concept of 'logic' follows with that of 'true science,' in that it can be proven and modeled with equations. All else is a matter of faith, and is subject to interpretation.

I guess some people may try to say thier faith is based in logic, but I only see this as an effort to solidify the footing of what they'd like to believe, while making it easier to take the 'leap of faith' necessary when holding to such beliefs.

Or maybe I am just naive to and uninformed about various religions and the logic behind them.... you tell me.
You just don't know what logic means apparently. Logic
I think this one says it best.

"The formal, guiding principles of a discipline, school, or science."

Logic is not definate at least not when it comes to philosophy, its about reasoning, how you as an individual think and there are as many different ways of thinking as there are people.

Last edited by deyes; 11-10-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:08 PM
Dirty Redhead

Where in the Constitution does it say that same sex couples are allowed to be married? I thought it did not specifically guarantee that right, but Bush will be seeking an ammendment that specifically bans gay marriage. Which is not to say that civil unions between a same sex couple can't yeild the same results, just without calling it marriage.
So it doesn't say they can means that they can't?

And Mr. Bush is going to ammend our countries constitiution with an ammendment that's only reason for existing is to crush the rights of same sex couples.

Good job..... Land of the Free
Old 11-10-2004, 05:12 PM

When there is a question about it we put it to vote. The people will decide if they can or can't. Its the peoples country after all right? As I have said before. If they want rights then why the aversion to civil unions? Its because it is a moral issue and gays know it. They have an agenda to change American culture to believe that homosexuality is not immoral. That is their aim.

Last edited by deyes; 11-10-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Dirty Redhead

When there is a question about it we put it to vote. The people will decide if they can or can't. Its the peoples country after all right? As I have said before. If they want rights then why the aversion to civil unions? Its because it is a moral issue and gays know it. They have an agenda to change American culture to believe that homosexuality is not immoral. That is their aim.
They have an agenda to be able to get married. It's not an issue that should be decided like an election. It's an issue that should have never been brought up. Same sex couples should be able to get married even if other people's religion thinks it is wrong. If you think it's wrong then deal with it. Just like I have to deal with the fact that God is on our money, pledge and countless other things it has no place in.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:26 PM

It's not an issue that should be decided like an election. It's an issue that should have never been brought up.
Well ****! If we can't decide what is acceptable in our society who can?

Same sex couples should be able to get married even if other people's religion thinks it is wrong. If you think it's wrong then deal with it. Just like I have to deal with the fact that God is on our money, pledge and countless other things it has no place in.
That is your opinion, vote for what you think is right. Everyone else will do the same. If you don't like that other people voted otherwise then you deal with it.

Quick Reply: Anti-Abortion Logic