Aftermarket control arms needed with coils?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 AM

Aftermarket control arms needed with coils?

I haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere. But I just installed bc br coils on my 08 sti the other day and the toe in the rear is way out of wack. I brought it to get aligned and I was told the toe can't be adjusted unless I get aftermarket control arms. I have read up and found out that they are only needed if I plan on running a dramatic amount of camber or if I'm going really low. Considering I am doing neither, I didn't think I would need them. I brought my car to my friends shop last night and he couldn't fix the toe. In fact he made it slightly worse and wasn't able to get it back. So now she sits. So my question is do I really need to get aftermarket control arms in order to go lower? Is there any way around it? I've never seen anything about it so I figured I'd see what everyone else has to say. Thanks guys
Old 04-30-2014, 02:36 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
No.

Rear toe is adjustable with stock linkage.

There are aftermarket control arms that allow for camber adjustment as well as aftermarket toe arms that allow for a larger range of toe adjustment.

Unless you are extremely critical of your alignment, the stock linkage is fine. You just have to find someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
No.

Rear toe is adjustable with stock linkage.

There are aftermarket control arms that allow for camber adjustment as well as aftermarket toe arms that allow for a larger range of toe adjustment.

Unless you are extremely critical of your alignment, the stock linkage is fine. You just have to find someone who knows what they're doing.
Do you think a toe kit could be what I need? The toe is really the only thing that's way off.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Originally Posted by flat4love
Do you think a toe kit could be what I need? The toe is really the only thing that's way off.
I was told that there is no factory toe adjustability in the rear. My rear toe was way off when my camber was set.
I got rid of my coilovers and am running a nice spring and strut setup now. Even the drop from springs threw my toe off. I'm running the spc control arms now. All better.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by norcalbro
I was told that there is no factory toe adjustability in the rear. My rear toe was way off when my camber was set.
I got rid of my coilovers and am running a nice spring and strut setup now. Even the drop from springs threw my toe off. I'm running the spc control arms now. All better.

Good luck.
This is a struggle I continuously deal with in regards to my suspension control arms for the rear. It will help adjust your car to make it even to the front but, your toe should always be at 0... I dont know whats making it so that you cant get 0 toe which is strange. Your camber is the only thing you can not adjust in the rear which is why that is on my want list. But for now its really not that big of a deal because I am not that much off on my camber front vs rear.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Originally Posted by oshrizak
This is a struggle I continuously deal with in regards to my suspension control arms for the rear. It will help adjust your car to make it even to the front but, your toe should always be at 0... I dont know whats making it so that you cant get 0 toe which is strange. Your camber is the only thing you can not adjust in the rear which is why that is on my want list. But for now its really not that big of a deal because I am not that much off on my camber front vs rear.
Be careful with that. Add camber, bye bye toe. They are related due to the design of our suspension. If you go negative camber, it adds toe in. That's why I got adjustable arms. Now I'm at a comfortable -2deg camber and 0 toe.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 AM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by norcalbro
Be careful with that. Add camber, bye bye toe. They are related due to the design of our suspension. If you go negative camber, it adds toe in. That's why I got adjustable arms. Now I'm at a comfortable -2deg camber and 0 toe.
Yep exactly what I am wanting to get adjustable control arms so that I can get -2 in the rear and 0 toe.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRX
Yeah, if you're really **** about your alignement specs, you'll want to get both the lower control arms and the toe arms for the ideal setup. I had coils with only cusco lower control arms, and the rear was too low to get the toe within acceptable range. I had to raise the rear a little bit to get the toe to be within +/-0.05. Camber was set around 1 degree. May add whiteline toe arms in the future if i choose to track the car, but as my daily -1 degree camber is fine with me.