Origami posted by doobyscooby
1. I have had my 05 WRX since October, and I feel that the steering endpoints are closer than other cars I have driven. Is this true?
2. I am worried that when I steer and very occasionally turn the wheel all the way around either way that I am causing damage to my steering system. Is this true?
3. What the hell can I do about this?
1. The number of turns lock-to-lock isn't much tighter than most other cars. The actual steering ratio is pretty slow for a performance car but I haven't checked to see if the '05 models have been upgraded. The STi has a slightly quicker steering ratio (as does the Saab 9-2 WRX variant) and the Lancer Evolution has a much quicker steering ratio. The Ford GT also has a slow steering ratio but some Chevy pickup trucks have a quicker ratio than the STi. Go figure.
2. & 3. Occasional steering to lock or the steering bump stop causes no harm but holding it there is not good. The power steering pump has to work pretty hard. There shouldn't be a need to hold it to lock for any reason, even while parallel parking your car.
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush