Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Hit curb wheel bent help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 10:50 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS USDM STI block, SOHC heads GT25 Ball bearing turbo, TMIC, TXS BOV, Tial wastgate, etc...
Hit curb wheel bent help

Here is the scoop... I let my room mate borrow my car and help ran over a fricking curb going about 50mph.. Bent my front and rear wheels on the passenger side. I replaced the wheels and my front wheel is bent in... what the hell did I bend? help me out..
Old 01-16-2003, 04:15 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX sedan
That bites! I also curbed my passenger wheels, though at least I had the satisfaction of knowing I did it!

Check your transverse link and strut for obvious deformations. This exploded view assembly drawing might help you.

I'm getting some weird rotational vibrations. I think I might have broken some belts in my tires, but I'm not sure. I wonder if my front axle assembly could be out of balance? Let me know if you've got a similar problem and maybe you'll find something that could help me!

Best of luck.

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails Hit curb wheel bent help-front-suspension-medium-.gif  
Old 01-23-2003, 03:32 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
did he run into the curb or did he slide into the curb?
how were the wheels bent?
did you say the front wheel is bent the stock control arms bent before the crossmember. you should be able to find one in a junkyard local being that they are the same for all sedans
Old 01-23-2003, 03:37 PM

Car Info: fastar
alright i've never done suspension work on a subaru before so i don't know exatly how its set up down there but i do hav experience with suspension work since i'm at a technical school for auto technologies. check your ball joints, there should b two right near the wheel. one up near where the bottom of your strut tower connects with two large bolts. there whould b another down on the lower control arm. basically they look like a rubber sandwich, two pieces of metal with a kinda bulging rubber thing inbetween. if those r loose and hav a lot of free play or r just bent it would cause it. if your friend had a good handle on the wheel when he hit the pinion gear inside yur rack (power steering housing) woulda locked up and the tie rod couda bent or the tie rod ends coulda been damaged. your strut tower itself could b bent or rotated. there's a good chance that its something bent or broken in rack and pinion assembly. if u were closer i'd say i'd come take a look at it. you should find a friend with a jack and some safety stands. get the wheel(s) off and check to see if there r any obvious bands, kinks or breaks and if there r hav a technician check it out. if only the right wheel is bent in and the left one is straight then theres a definate problem beyond alignment or rack gear position. one other thing, do u feel anything while yur driving straight? is there an up and down bump? a right to left wobble or nibble, or maybe a bump steer situation. a bump steer is when yur rack and pinion is not level and when u hit a bump the wheel is basically pulled outa yur hands and the car turns (not good) up and down could b wheel or tire runout (bad/bent spot) and the back and fourth could b a bad ball joint or hub. if you can get the car on a jack and then try and put yur hands at 9 and 3 o clock and wobble the wheel and again at 12 and 6 and then directly up and down. there shouldn't b any feeling of loose components. if you feel a movement other than the steering linkage moving when u do the 12 and 6 then it could b the ball joint or the hub, if u push on the brake while doing 12 and 6 and it still moves then its the ball joint, if not then its the hub. well i hope i helped, if u need me to explain anything better since i did this fast feel free to lemme know. good luck.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:03 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS USDM STI block, SOHC heads GT25 Ball bearing turbo, TMIC, TXS BOV, Tial wastgate, etc...
Hey thanks for the replies... I actually took my car in to see if there was something seriously wrong.. It turns out that I bent my strut pretty bad. I asked if there was anything else wrong and they said no.. They put it on an alignment machine and naturally it was fubard, but they said the only thing that They could see worng with it is the bent strut... 80 bucks for a new one and now itsfixed!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:05 PM

Car Info: fastar
good to hear man, get that sweet car back out on the road!
Old 01-24-2003, 03:19 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX sedan
Originally posted by Pi7467mp
Hey thanks for the replies... I actually took my car in to see if there was something seriously wrong.. It turns out that I bent my strut pretty bad. I asked if there was anything else wrong and they said no.. They put it on an alignment machine and naturally it was fubard, but they said the only thing that They could see worng with it is the bent strut... 80 bucks for a new one and now itsfixed!
What?! $80 for a strut? Damn - we're getting totally screwed in Canada! I just paid $300 CAD for a strut. That's like $180 USD!!!

Just to be certain we're talking about the same thing, was this an OEM WRX rear strut?

Hey man, I'm glad to hear you don't have my personal hell. The strut replacement didn't do anything for my camber. I'm looking at replacing my spindle housing and if that don't work then it's on to the rear cross-member!

Dave
Old 01-25-2003, 01:39 PM

No I got a KYB GS2 strut for 80 shipped,
Old 01-27-2003, 04:41 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by iceNine
After this I have resolved to drive slower in slippery condiditons and to replace the stock RE92 tires within one day of getting the car back.
Sounds like you need a set of real winter tires on an extra set of wheels. Sorry about your mishap...

--
^ww^
"...axles of evil..." - George W. Bush