Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Coilover Suction Sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
to be honest, unless you a certified/specialized suspension guru. id send them in to be rebuilt. When it comes to dampening theres really not much you can do but send them in for rebuild. Ive hear BCs like the rebuilt....a lot. but the price is not too bad. I forget what price is. GL!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:32 PM

Car Info: a llama
Suction you say? I like where this is going.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 06 AW STi
Bump. Am I stuck getting it rebuilt?
Old 05-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Originally Posted by FL4T
Bump. Am I stuck getting it rebuilt?
Unless you know what your doing, yes. IMO get both L/R rebuilt. Even if you dont feel there is a problem with the drivers side. like tires your better off starting new on both sides than starting new with one and leaving the other worn. I would never replace just one blown strut. i would do both driver and pass side.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Unless you know what your doing, yes. IMO get both L/R rebuilt. Even if you dont feel there is a problem with the drivers side. like tires your better off starting new on both sides than starting new with one and leaving the other worn. I would never replace just one blown strut. i would do both driver and pass side.
+100. ESPECIALLY with suspension, you want to even it out (either both fronts, both rears, or all 4 corners). imagine this: you are going down the road and you hit an even bump (both rears go through the same stroke on each side). depending you mileage and driving habits, the rebuilt side is going to soften the bump while the other side (non rebuilt) will prob bounce like hell. not good.

I DO think youre looking at a rebuild. but do both R and L for safety precautions. BUT do take it to a specilized suspension shop before you do.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 PM

Thanks for your feedback guys. I appreciate it. Do you know or recommend any reputable shops?

Originally Posted by 02RS25
+100. ESPECIALLY with suspension, you want to even it out (either both fronts, both rears, or all 4 corners). imagine this: you are going down the road and you hit an even bump (both rears go through the same stroke on each side). depending you mileage and driving habits, the rebuilt side is going to soften the bump while the other side (non rebuilt) will prob bounce like hell. not good.

I DO think youre looking at a rebuild. but do both R and L for safety precautions. BUT do take it to a specilized suspension shop before you do.
Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
usually motorcycle shops can rebuild them.. but you should speak with a vendor. check this site out.

rallyracingsuspension.com - Coilover Rebuilding
Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mistaanime
usually motorcycle shops can rebuild them.. but you should speak with a vendor. check this site out.

rallyracingsuspension.com - Coilover Rebuilding
Awesome, thanks!

I know you guys said get both rears done, but should I just get all 4 done, or should I just save the money because it isn't necessary?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 AM

Awesome, thanks!

I know you guys said get both rears done, but should I just get all 4 done, or should I just save the money because it isn't necessary?
IMO, read countless reviews about your current coilovers and see how often they are prone to rebuild. factor in time between rebuild and the cost. then look at other coils out there and read their review. Is it worth rebuilding your current coils? Your car, your choice obviously. but thats what i would do if i was just about to rebuld all 4 corners. I.e. I spent $900 for my BCs brand new. If rebuild for a strut was say $100, thats $400 for all 4. and what if they just "sucktion" again a few months later? not worth it. i might as well have going koni yellow route. GL bro!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 02RS25
IMO, read countless reviews about your current coilovers and see how often they are prone to rebuild. factor in time between rebuild and the cost. then look at other coils out there and read their review. Is it worth rebuilding your current coils? Your car, your choice obviously. but thats what i would do if i was just about to rebuld all 4 corners. I.e. I spent $900 for my BCs brand new. If rebuild for a strut was say $100, thats $400 for all 4. and what if they just "sucktion" again a few months later? not worth it. i might as well have going koni yellow route. GL bro!
I was thinking the same thing. I'll have to look at my options, maybe just get some KWs haha. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM

***Update***

PM'd the vendor and they said I may have some moisture in the valving and requires reassembly or to replace the whole damper (said it is cheaper).

Also emailed the BC directly, and they said they have never heard of such a thing and asked if I checked the piston shaft seal under the dust boot to make sure its not dirty.

I will be taking the coil off of the car this weekend to see whats going on.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:26 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
if its working fine now, why not just drive it till its blown? I hear squishy squishy noises from my coilovers all day. Just deal with it.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 AM

Car Info: 2007 WRX Tr
***Update***

PM'd the vendor and they said I may have some moisture in the valving and requires reassembly or to replace the whole damper (said it is cheaper).

Also emailed the BC directly, and they said they have never heard of such a thing and asked if I checked the piston shaft seal under the dust boot to make sure its not dirty.

I will be taking the coil off of the car this weekend to see whats going on.
I have a set of Stance Super Sports on my car, and I have experienced the same sound for my rear right side struts. From what I have read on other forums, and what I have heard from friends who own imprezas, that sound is very common for us. One reason being is that we use McPherson suspension set up, which is a cheap set up to have. So because of the more stiffer springs and harder bounces, its gonna add some pressure on the other parts, such as toe, camber arms, lateral links. So most likely if you get a complete aftermarket suspension set up, it will probably stop.

Now, why only one specific side makes a suction noise...I really wish I knew. But I honestly dont think you need a rebuild, its just gonna be the same. I know from personal expereince. But if you bought a really expensive coilover such as Bilstein, I guarantee it will not make the noise. The coilovers we have are a cheaper build, so youre bound to see some flaws
Hope this helps.