Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Brembos on a WRX install

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 PM

Car Info: 02wrx
Post Brembos on a WRX install

FRONTS
For the fronts, they bolt right up. You will need bigger rims. I have the rota sdr's 17's that came with the car and it clears it by very little. This is a simple install that shouldn't take longer than an hour/ 30min if you have air tools.

parts needed for front:
2004 sti 5x100 front rotors
rims that will clear brembo calipers
and obviously the brembo calipers and sti pads for them

step 1: take off the stock caliper(calipers+brackets+pads)and leave it on the side with the brake line connected.
note: if you dont have an impact gun/air tools break free the brake line and bolt it to the brembo caliper NOW and skip last step.
step 2: take off the rotor
step 3: place the new sti rotor on and then bolt on the brembo caliper.
step 4: install the pads
step 5: zap off the brake line nut(watch for the 2 washers) and tighten it into the brembo caliper with a ratchet or wrench.

COMPLETE

REARS

For rears it is alittle more tricky. A Wrx has smaller rotors than the Sti, also the inside diameter or the rotors are different in size. Which means the Wrx parking brake wont work with Sti rotors. When you apply the parking brake, your parking brake shoes will push out but wont grab on to the inside diameter of the Sti rotor. There are only 2 ways to over come this (that I know of):
Buy a rotor that is specially designed for your wrx.
link: http://www.fastwrx.com/rebradkit.html
OR you can buy a set of parking brake shoes that are made for a wrx, but are thicker to grab on the sti rotors when applied.
link: http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/Suba...ar_classic.htm
Next you will need a adapter that will bring the brembo caliper further out from the center, because the sti rotor is bigger. both linked websites have this adapter

Brake shoe tools are recommended for this install

parts needed
special rotors (DBA 4000 Series Adapter Kit)
caliper adapter kit
OR
2004 sti 5x100 rear rotors
parking brake shoes from godspeed(think they are the only people that make it)
caliper adapter kit
and the rear brembo calipers duh

I did the 2nd option which is installing the parking brake shoes so that I could use stock 2004 sti rotors.

step 1: follow the 1st and 2nd steps from the FRONT install above.
step 2: take off the hub nut and use a sliding hammer to take off the hub.
Now you can work on the parking brake shoes easily with the hub out of the way.
from now on I am working off the top of my head please dont get angry if i left steps out. =]
step 3: take off the 2 springs on TOP. (blue and yellow)? theres only 2
step 4: take off the 2 MIDDLE pieces that are near the top.
step 5: take off the springs on the 2 SIDES that hold the shoes in place.
step 6: take off the parking brake adjuster(gold) and spring(black)? on the bottom
by now you should have one shoe off and the other one held on by the parking brake line.
step 7: take off the horseshoe looking thing locking the last shoe on. You should buy a new one of these since you probably messed it up(you should regardless)

Ok this is where its very tricky. Most people tell me than rotors will fit on later without any problems except the backing plate. Not true for me. Theres smaller backing plate right behind the shoes. For me the rotors grabed on to this backing plate, also the shoes that are thicker are very close to it. So what I did was tap the backing plate towards the center all the way around( making sure it will not touch the shoes or the inside of the rotors later on) Then I pounded the rear backing plate back far so that it will not touch the rotors disc.

But hey if it doesn't grab for you then who knows my wrx was weird.
step 8: then: put the shoes back in correctly. Use the other side of the car for reference if you screw up.
step 9: zap in the hub with the hub nut and it will press in.
step 10: install the caliper adapter kit now, because the rotor will block it later.
step 11: place the rotor on( MAKE SURE! the rotor sits flush and it doesn't scrape the smaller backing plate or the rear backing plate)
step 11: install the brembo caliper onto the adapter kit.
step 12: install the sti pads
step 13: now zap of the brakeline on the stock caliper and install it on the brembo caliper with a ratchet or wrench.

COMPLETE

Now time for bleeding the brakes, because you opened the brakelines there will be air in the system which will cause spongey pedal or pedal to the floor.

you need 2 people, one to apply the brakes and one to bleed them
the order recommended is
RIGHT REAR
LEFT FRONT
LEFT REAR
RIGHT FRONT

step 1: add brake fluid if needed( over flowing it is fine)
step 2: apply the brake. While down on the pedal open the bleeder screw.
step 3: tighten the bleeder screw and let go of the pedal.
repeat on the same caliper untill you see no more air coming out
(you know theres air when the fluid isnt a constant burst of fluid)

Once you're done with all 4 calipers, recheck the brake fluid level again and feel if your pedal is firm.

time to test drive.

I can not be held responsible to any damage or mis-forture that may happen to your cars braking system due to this thread. The steps that you follow on this thread is done at your own risk.

pm me for any help or questions that are not on here, or any errors that I've made. This again was all typed up off the top of my head.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:24 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
this is a good write up for wrx owners who need more info. good job.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:00 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
+1 adam..for finally putting on the rears...
Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX (RIP) // 2007 STi "OMGASTI"
can u purchase and install the front. then later on the rears or is it a better idea to do all 4 all at once?

Last edited by Dans Rex; 05-26-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 PM

that is what i did, but my pedal felt softer. I'm pretty sure the brake power wouldn't be right. 4 pot in front and 1 in rear haha. What i did was, my calipers came with a decent amount of pad life and rotor was kinda below spec, i resurfaced my rotors and sand down my pads and ran like that for about a week without pushing it. Then when my rear parts came(already had the rear caliper) i installed new pads and rotors all around heres a completed picture from iphone:

ps wish i had nicer rims (anyone have some)
Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
great write up.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Hey you got your thread posted
Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 PM

Car Info: 05 obp sti
wHAT ROTORS ARE THESE???
Originally Posted by adamp
that is what i did, but my pedal felt softer. I'm pretty sure the brake power wouldn't be right. 4 pot in front and 1 in rear haha. What i did was, my calipers came with a decent amount of pad life and rotor was kinda below spec, i resurfaced my rotors and sand down my pads and ran like that for about a week without pushing it. Then when my rear parts came(already had the rear caliper) i installed new pads and rotors all around heres a completed picture from iphone:

ps wish i had nicer rims (anyone have some)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM

these are the c-tek rotors by centric. Centric bought out stoptech...i believe. The c-tek are suppose to be oem(no drills or slots), but my friend gave me a website where they drill and slot them for you. I hear its bad and will cause cracks, but im not too afraid only paid 325? for all around. Thats the price of a set of brembos lol. They are painted red so they wont rust.

Originally Posted by thekid925
wHAT ROTORS ARE THESE???
and thanks for the complements people
Old 06-21-2009, 12:38 AM

Car Info: 01 RS
anyone experimented with a different ebrake fix? I put brembos on my 01 rs and haven't had an ebrake for 10 months or so because i couldn't afford the adapter rotors or the godspeed shoes since they both cost about $400 and i blew all my money on brembos....
Old 06-21-2009, 02:20 AM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi
not sure how well this would work by itself. Assume you would still need to leave it in gear for added protection. Have you tried researching a electronic line lock device or an adjustable proportional valve, so you can hold down the brake and enable the line lock or fully close the adjustable valve to keep the brake pressure only on the rear brakes when you let off the pedal.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:03 AM

Umm Godspeed shoes are simply Wrx shoes that are glued together so maybe you can buy some Cheap shoes and make something up. Not sure whut type of glue Godspeed uses but it's a dark brown color and he did a very good job at it. Once the parking brake hits the glue area( which it shouldn't , unless you ride with your parking brake applied) you will need to replace them anyways.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:55 PM

Car Info: 01 RS
i actually have the sti hubs from a sti. Does anyone know how hard/possible it would be to transfer the sti hub assembly to my hubs?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:23 PM

Car Info: Version 8 WRX
Hey man,
Any idea on what the part number is.

step 7: take off the horseshoe looking thing locking the last shoe on. You should buy a new one of these since you probably messed it up(you should regardless)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:38 AM

Car Info: Subaru impreza wrx 06 jdm
Hi all! As i guess i dont need bracket to mount rear brembo caliper on my wrx 06 haekeye. Am i right?thks