Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Coilovers or sway bars first??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by ladeyboy
Hey man your right about Tasmania the shipping into this place is rediculous! And thanks for your advice! And everyone else for that matter has been incredibly helpful! And I am looking Forward to increasing the handling of my Rex shortly. I know $1,000 coilovers are not worth it just for street use but for me a cheaper option where I don't have to worry about my standard struts giving way in 40k or so! I'm keen on the eibach sway bar kit mentioned earlier and from there I will search around for a base rate coilover kit I do like having the option of height adjustability and stiffness so looking at advanced street kits

Any suggestions of preferred brand? :-) thanks guys!
This is your misconception. Coilovers have service (rebuild) intervals. Obviously it depends on usage but 40-50k of street use without any real abuse sounds about right for most coilovers.

Not to mention that when you go on a budget with coilovers it does come at a cost, usually reduced handling capabilities, reduced ride comfort (this is something that can't be tuned out by with the adjustments), and reduced lifespan. Buy what you need, not what you can afford. If you need coilovers then you should save up and get good ones. If you don't, there are better options on the table that will out last, out ride, and out handle many coilovers. Hell, some of them have height adjustment, though that doesn't mean you can slam the car.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal

This is your misconception. Coilovers have service (rebuild) intervals. Obviously it depends on usage but 40-50k of street use without any real abuse sounds about right for most coilovers.

Not to mention that when you go on a budget with coilovers it does come at a cost, usually reduced handling capabilities, reduced ride comfort (this is something that can't be tuned out by with the adjustments), and reduced lifespan. Buy what you need, not what you can afford. If you need coilovers then you should save up and get good ones. If you don't, there are better options on the table that will out last, out ride, and out handle many coilovers. Hell, some of them have height adjustment, though that doesn't mean you can slam the car.
Oh ok thanks I didn't really think about servicing for coilovers Lol
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal

Although cheap coilovers may not handle as we'll as quality parts I'm aware of that, but all I'm after is something that will handle a little better than my stock springs so I have less body roll in the bends and also can have my ride sitting a little lower and also even thanks for your advice though I appreciate hearing more options.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by LxJLthr

KW v3 usually run around $2,400-2,500.

Typical question...do you frequently track your car? If not, I would advise on adjustable shocks with performace springs instead. It will perform better and last longer than any cheap coilover in daily driving conditions.

RallySport gives free shipping on orders over $200. I bough stuff there over last 4+ years; great vendor.

Good luck.
No I don't track my car at all man! Lol which is why I'm thinking new struts and springs sound a lot better for what I want! Also probably cheaper eh? The only thing about getting coilovers was that they would be a lot easier to install myself rather than struts and springs right??

And thanks for the review on rally sport they look like they have a great range of products for subies and that's awesome about shipping :-)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
No I don't track my car at all man! Lol which is why I'm thinking new struts and springs sound a lot better for what I want! Also probably cheaper eh? The only thing about getting coilovers was that they would be a lot easier to install myself rather than struts and springs right??

And thanks for the review on rally sport they look like they have a great range of products for subies and that's awesome about shipping :-)
that shipping will not apply to you
Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by CHESTON
+1/bandwagon on the suggestion for getting sways before coilovers (if that).

swaybars (and accompanying endlinks) change the "attitude" and cornering behavior/tendencies noticeably! so do some research on what the different combo's do and match it to your driving style.

re: coilovers, i agree that mild springs (e.g. 1" drop) on fresh/stock struts is a comfortable and sporty combo. great for daily driving and lasts long too! coilovers cost quite a bit more, but generally give you better options at matching damping behavior to your preference.

however, are you really gonna use that features/adjustability of coilovers? are you going to be tracking the car? or are you using it mostly for street and/or a "set it and forget it" kind of guy. if a set it/forget it, really consider the springs/struts (i had great experience with Swift Spec R springs on stock STI struts for my DD use).

also, good experience with my first purchase rallysportdirect...will be using them again soon for more parts.
Hey thanks for jumpin on the band wagon man! No I don't plan on tracking my car often if at all at this stage as I do drive it daily and new springs and shocks sound good! But as I mentioned in my previous comment coilovers are easy to install myself.. Although with some hand tools how hard is it to install new struts and springs? Don't you have to compress the springs by machine to fit them on the struts first? Thanks!!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by flat489
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar 24mm Adjustable Subaru Models (inc. 2004-2007 WRX) at RallySportDirect.com

thats less than $245 also check with boston motorsports they usually have items for cheap
Hey man I checkout out Boston motorsports and they have some good stuff on there! What do you think about these cheaper coilovers below?

https://shop.bostonmotorsports.com/S...Ti_p_1526.html
Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 AM
Technical Know-It-All

ST are actually the only good $1,000 coilover on the market. They are KW V1s without the stainless steel bodies (which means corrosion for some people). They are ok entry level coilovers that only offer height adjustment. The dampers are not adjustable. You will want front and rear top hats or camber plates too as they are not included.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
He's probably assuming drop springs on stock struts. Which is kinda bad. There are performance springs, but those won't necessarily lower the car and be considered "drop" springs.

Either way, which ever kind of spring you get, you'd want to team it with a good strut. A good set of springs and struts can cost just as much as an entry level coilover set up.

But, you know all of this.
+1. drop springs on stock struts.

BR: cuz i only own one car, right? seems like u know everything bro...LMAO
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Knowing this much is indeed a big burden and I willingly carry this weight on my shoulders on behalf of everyone else.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Hey man I checkout out Boston motorsports and they have some good stuff on there! What do you think about these cheaper coilovers below?

https://shop.bostonmotorsports.com/S...Ti_p_1526.html
DAMN! I wish I saw those a couple days ago.... oh well... Get those!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by esousa22
DAMN! I wish I saw those a couple days ago.... oh well... Get those!
You still would have spent ~$1,500 total once you get the parts those don't come with that you need.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by flat489
whiteline sway bar, kartboy endlinks. done. 24mm all around. also start looking at better sites for parts(rallysportdirect, rce, TIC) as i have never heard of yellowspeed racing before
Hey man here is yellowspeed racing s website with info about they're coilovers. Check it out here;

http://www.yellowspeed.com.au/dps.htm
Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
Sway bars and end links
Old 01-24-2013, 10:33 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Hey thanks for jumpin on the band wagon man! No I don't plan on tracking my car often if at all at this stage as I do drive it daily and new springs and shocks sound good! But as I mentioned in my previous comment coilovers are easy to install myself.. Although with some hand tools how hard is it to install new struts and springs? Don't you have to compress the springs by machine to fit them on the struts first? Thanks!!
http://www.harborfreight.com/macpherson-strut-spring-compressor-set-3980.html

Here u go baby!!! [insert AustinPowers accent]

I'm thinking for 95%+ DD, the swift spec-r springs on fresh stock struts/equivalent will be perfect for your needs. Lower cost and performance.

Quick Reply: Coilovers or sway bars first??