Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Coilovers or sway bars first??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:17 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
I say go with Eibach's Sway Bar Kit. Comes with both front and rear sways and endlinks for a very good price. You can check it out here.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Whiteline Swaybars and Endlinks or Kartboy endlinks.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by flat489
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar 24mm Adjustable Subaru Models (inc. 2004-2007 WRX) at RallySportDirect.com

thats less than $245 also check with boston motorsports they usually have items for cheap
Hey thanks man that's great! I am very keen to get front and rear sway cars when I get some coilovers too! also had 1 question.. What are the endlinks for? Like the endless brand you can buy?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:22 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
$1,000 is not enough for coilovers. Essentially nothing you can get at that price will be worth their weight in dirt. Unless you race a competitve level, coilovers are not for you as you'd be wasting your money on adjustability you're not utilizing.

Originally Posted by 02RS25
I DESPISE drop springs.
Why? No offense but you're hella flush, what would you know about handling? ;P
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Why? No offense but you're hella flush, what would you know about handling? ;P
He's probably assuming drop springs on stock struts. Which is kinda bad. There are performance springs, but those won't necessarily lower the car and be considered "drop" springs.

Either way, which ever kind of spring you get, you'd want to team it with a good strut. A good set of springs and struts can cost just as much as an entry level coilover set up.

But, you know all of this.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
sway bars + endlinks!! just look for used ones if available, a bar is a bar honestly.. you can save a lot of $$ for sure

I'm running front/rear whiteline bars with f/r links and all new bushings, handles great with my swift lowering springs... HOWEVER.... from experience though I would recommend only running lowering springs on stock struts for so long as Jourdan mentioned.. mine have taken the beating over the 30-40k miles with the swifts and i can definitely feel it over potholes now, saving for new struts now myself good luck searching sir

Last edited by RAWeiss; 01-23-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Either way, which ever kind of spring you get, you'd want to team it with a good strut. A good set of springs and struts can cost just as much as an entry level coilover set up.

But, you know all of this.
My spring/strut setup cost me $1,500. However that doesn't, however, mean that a budget coilover would be a better choice due to lower cost. (not saying you claimed this, just making the statement)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I think the reason his prices are so high and different is he is in Tasmania.

When it comes to your sways and endlinks and crap Whiteline is very well respected and turns out a quality product.

If you are not going to track your car I think you will be very happy on springs and good struts.

I did the cobb lowering springs on stock struts and it rode great in comparison to all other lowered vehicles I have driven. My stock struts are approaching 106k and I am now beginning to notice they need to be replaced.

I do not track my car so I will be getting a quality replacement strut once I figure out which is the best.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
I think the reason his prices are so high and different is he is in Tasmania.

When it comes to your sways and endlinks and crap Whiteline is very well respected and turns out a quality product.

If you are not going to track your car I think you will be very happy on springs and good struts.

I did the cobb lowering springs on stock struts and it rode great in comparison to all other lowered vehicles I have driven. My stock struts are approaching 106k and I am now beginning to notice they need to be replaced.

I do not track my car so I will be getting a quality replacement strut once I figure out which is the best.
Hey man your right about Tasmania the shipping into this place is rediculous! And thanks for your advice! And everyone else for that matter has been incredibly helpful! And I am looking Forward to increasing the handling of my Rex shortly. I know $1,000 coilovers are not worth it just for street use but for me a cheaper option where I don't have to worry about my standard struts giving way in 40k or so! I'm keen on the eibach sway bar kit mentioned earlier and from there I will search around for a base rate coilover kit I do like having the option of height adjustability and stiffness so looking at advanced street kits

Any suggestions of preferred brand? :-) thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by ladeyboy
Hey man your right about Tasmania the shipping into this place is rediculous! And thanks for your advice! And everyone else for that matter has been incredibly helpful! And I am looking Forward to increasing the handling of my Rex shortly. I know $1,000 coilovers are not worth it just for street use but for me a cheaper option where I don't have to worry about my standard struts giving way in 40k or so! I'm keen on the eibach sway bar kit mentioned earlier and from there I will search around for a base rate coilover kit I do like having the option of height adjustability and stiffness so looking at advanced street kits

Any suggestions of preferred brand? :-) thanks guys!
Cheapest coilovers you should look at are KW v3s. but i would look into getting a strut/spring set up

Struts: Tokico, Koni, Olihn
Spring:Swift, RCE

Any other suspension part: Whiteline
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Ground Control does some awesome stuff. But they're based in the US so shipping will be ultra ****ty.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by flat489

Cheapest coilovers you should look at are KW v3s. but i would look into getting a strut/spring set up

Struts: Tokico, Koni, Olihn
Spring:Swift, RCE

Any other suspension part: Whiteline
Oh ok cool! How much is a set of KW v3s? Also do you know if rallysportdirect.com have a high shipping cost? And have you purchased anything from there yourself? Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
what you should do is try to find out what the local tuner shop in your area is and see what they can order, if not try contacting places in australia/japan/us to see who is willing to ship over there
Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by ladeyboy
Oh ok cool! How much is a set of KW v3s? Also do you know if rallysportdirect.com have a high shipping cost? And have you purchased anything from there yourself? Thanks
KW v3 usually run around $2,400-2,500.

Typical question...do you frequently track your car? If not, I would advise on adjustable shocks with performace springs instead. It will perform better and last longer than any cheap coilover in daily driving conditions.

RallySport gives free shipping on orders over $200. I bough stuff there over last 4+ years; great vendor.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
+1/bandwagon on the suggestion for getting sways before coilovers (if that).

swaybars (and accompanying endlinks) change the "attitude" and cornering behavior/tendencies noticeably! so do some research on what the different combo's do and match it to your driving style.

re: coilovers, i agree that mild springs (e.g. 1" drop) on fresh/stock struts is a comfortable and sporty combo. great for daily driving and lasts long too! coilovers cost quite a bit more, but generally give you better options at matching damping behavior to your preference.

however, are you really gonna use that features/adjustability of coilovers? are you going to be tracking the car? or are you using it mostly for street and/or a "set it and forget it" kind of guy. if a set it/forget it, really consider the springs/struts (i had great experience with Swift Spec R springs on stock STI struts for my DD use).

also, good experience with my first purchase rallysportdirect...will be using them again soon for more parts.

Quick Reply: Coilovers or sway bars first??