Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Anyone get a road hazard warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 07:22 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
Anyone get a road hazard warranty???

when i bought my 05, i was talked into buying a tire road hazard warranty. i usually don't go for things like this but i have bad luck with tires usually via road hazards. sure enough, a few months into owning the car i ran over a screw. it is located on the "shoulder" of the tire and have been told that i need a new tire.

a perfect chance to put the warranty money in action i thought. wrong!

my first instinct is to go to the dealer. his reply: we sell cars, not tires. you need to go to a authorized bridgestone dealer, and they can replace it.

so i have been to 3 bridgestone dealers so far and they say the same thing. we didn't sell you the warranty, we can't honor it.

my next instict is to go and yell at the dealer for selling me a worthless warranty but i thought i would run it by ya'll first to see if you had any advice.

t.i.a.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:39 PM

Car Info: 05 SLK 350
I would call the dealer, and explain the situation to them. Calmly and cool. Ask them if there is a dealer that they know will honor the warranty. Most warranties are administered through an insurance company. Give them a call if need be.

Oh, and I had a sidewall puncture on my car as well. You don't need a new tire. You'll need 4 of them.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:15 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by cdawg
Oh, and I had a sidewall puncture on my car as well. You don't need a new tire. You'll need 4 of them.
4 new tires is debatable if he's only had the car a few months...depending on the miles and how rough the miles were.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
why would i need four of them? i am not debating this, just never heard of it. btw, the screw is still intact. it has a relativeley slow leak, i add about 5-7 psi a month. but now the tire cater-corner to it also has a slow leak with no apparant damage. see what i mean about bad luck with tires?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
It's doubtful that you would need all four at this time, given your mileage.

In your owners manual it should mention that you need to keep the overall diameter of the tires within, I believe, 1/4" of each other. This means that if you drive on a set of tires for a year or so, they'll probably wear down a good amount, and if you throw on a brand new tire, you could wreak havoc on your center and/or rear diff due to one tire rotating slower than the rest.

If I were you, I would get my paperwork in order that prove I purchased a tire road hazard from the dealership. I would contact them and ask how to get them to honor it. If they won't honor it still, contact SOA. If you have a legitimate claim, they are very helpful.