Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

2006 sti reliability question.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:47 AM

2006 sti reliability question.

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting a 06 sti, planning to keep everything stock. However, When i took a look at the maintanence and warrenty forum, i saw quite a lot of people complaning that the 06 sti are having all sorts of issues like bad transmission and weried noise etc. I wonder if it's true or it's just like a 1 out of a 100 's case. I want to know if the 06 sti is a good year to buy as most of the first year new model have more issues.

Pls advice !!

Thanks and your input will be appriciated
Old 02-19-2006, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
It's not really a new year model. There are some minor changes from the 05 that make it different but it is still basically the same platform.

Any 06 owners have more to add? I have heard of some engineering issues that subaru added to the 06 to tattle tale abuse by owners....
Old 02-19-2006, 12:04 PM

great.. btw what do you mean by "some engineering issues that subaru added to the 06 to tattle tale abuse by owners...."
Old 02-19-2006, 10:09 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Originally Posted by cloudpicker
great.. btw what do you mean by "some engineering issues that subaru added to the 06 to tattle tale abuse by owners...."
I am a salesman at a Subie dealer with a best buddy that's on the service side. The '05 and '06 are the same monster (except for once again a change to the F/R distribution on the center diff. Now 41/59). BUT, they changed the motor mounts to liquid filled this year. These have issues and some are failing under "heavy use". Spare yourself the pain and just buy the SPT hard rubber mounts and move on. Better all the way around. WR makes a great little shock that goes from the engine to strut mount area that will help isolate vibration and engine movement as well... a good combo.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:45 AM

Car Info: '06 STi Black/Gold
Angry Mine is squeaking already!!!

I just pickup my '06 STI yesterday, and on the test drive, never heard any weird noises. Today, I was driving up a bumpier road with the radio off and heard a chirping/squeaking sound coming from the backseat area. For the life of me, I can't figure what it is.

Just my problems on a 2 day old car.

Laters....
Old 02-20-2006, 11:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2006 Aspen Sti
sAME sQUEAK ON MINE.... Ive had the car for abot 6 months and that is the only problem so far.... i think it has to do with the speakers but i havent looked into it yet. Ill update if any other problems occur.
Mike Nozz
Old 02-20-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by NW OBS
I am a salesman at a Subie dealer with a best buddy that's on the service side. The '05 and '06 are the same monster (except for once again a change to the F/R distribution on the center diff. Now 41/59). BUT, they changed the motor mounts to liquid filled this year. These have issues and some are failing under "heavy use". Spare yourself the pain and just buy the SPT hard rubber mounts and move on. Better all the way around. WR makes a great little shock that goes from the engine to strut mount area that will help isolate vibration and engine movement as well... a good combo.

What about if i want to keep it stock? because i don't want to void any warranty..
Old 02-21-2006, 11:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MOPAR Baby!! yeeaaaahhh
Yup i hear that weird squeak on my car too usually over multiple smaller bumps... 06 wrx tr
Old 02-21-2006, 10:46 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Red face

Originally Posted by cloudpicker
What about if i want to keep it stock? because i don't want to void any warranty..
I thought I posted this last night. Hmmm? One too many glasses of wine. Upgraded engine mounts will NOT void your warranty. This is the only weakness I have heard about on the '06 vs. the '05!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:11 AM

Car Info: 06 Subaru WRX STI
I just bought an 06 STI 2 weeks ago and i haven't had anything yet. I will be checking for this squeaking that everyone is talking about.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:12 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX STi
Originally Posted by NW OBS
I thought I posted this last night. Hmmm? One too many glasses of wine. Upgraded engine mounts will NOT void your warranty. This is the only weakness I have heard about on the '06 vs. the '05!
True. You're not really changing anything mechanically. I guess Subaru "upgraded" to liquid-filled mounts to try to weed out some vibration, when in fact they also weeded out some sturdiness of the parts.

Like this guy and says......just get new mounts.

As for transmission issues, I personally haven't heard of anything out of the ordinary. As for the squeak, I have a 2005 and no squeaks. 12,700 miles on it.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:48 AM

Car Info: '06 STi Black/Gold
Additional problems with NEW STI

Now that I've driven the car for a couple of days, I now noticed a new problem with the windshield wipers!

Since its been pouring the last couple of days, the wipers have been put to good use, and I've noticed that the drivers side wiper would strike the molding on the, is it the 'A' pillar. Both in low speed but more in hi speed.

I took it in and Waipahu Subaru told me that I'll have to come back in to adjust. This sucks. I think they should just do it on the spot. Especially since I've had the car for only 4 days now. Geez!

Other problems, but not due to Fuji Heavy but more Waipahu Suby, both drivers and passenger mirror, have stains on the glass that won't buff out. And I have a few scratches on the drivers side hood, something that I missed on the first day since I took delivery at night. My mistake!

In Waipahu Subies defense, they are ordering me two mirrors, and will take care of the scratches. Don't know how though. Buffing, repaint?

Something else I've noticed, now that I've been driving the last couple of day in the rain....the tires are really slick on wet manhole covers and painted arrows on the ground. Road Manapua, I think is what the Bike riders call them.

The SQUEAK, seems to have disappeared for now.....
Old 02-22-2006, 10:20 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
I have had some weird issues with my 06 also...my Rear Glass seems to "rattle" anyone else have this problem...when I am going over bumpy roads a slight vibration is coming from the rear....It sounds like the rear glass....
Old 02-22-2006, 05:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2006 Aspen Sti
The class might be the same squeak in the rear everyone else is talking about, but i found mine to be the speaker.... as far as vthe warranty. The only way it will be vouid is that if a problem occurs that is caused by an aftermarket part.... until then it is not void...
Old 02-26-2006, 08:34 PM

Car Info: 06 wrc Blue STI
problems

I have an 06 no problems yet i have had it for 1 month. and 2200 miles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 sti reliability question.