Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

02/03 WRX Gas Line Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:57 PM

Car Info: Foz
02/03 WRX Gas Line Recall?

I have been getting this gas smell in my car in the morning when the car warms up, I contacted a subaru dealer and they said they could warranty it but they also might have to replace the intake hose if it "breaks" which would go about $130 and they also mentioned other parts could break, is this a scam or could parts possibly break that wouldnt be covered under the warranty that would break as a result of them fixing it? I want to have this fixed under warranty, but do not want to pay anything.

Let me know

Here is the recall:

Recall Reason FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINEELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Recall Date DEC 04, 2009
Model Affected IMPREZA
Potential Units Affected 5724

Recall Summary
SUBARU IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2002 AND 2003 IMPREZA WRX VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF SOUTH DAKOTA, NEBRASKA, NORTH DAKOTA, MINNESOTA, IDAHO, IOWA, MONTANA, COLORADO, WISCONSIN, NEW YORK, WYOMING, MICHIGAN, ALASKA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, VERMONT, AND MAINE. DURING COLD STARTS, TYPICALLY UNDER EXTREMELY COLD TEMPERATURES, FUEL LEAKS IN THE FUEL DELIVERY LINE COULD OCCUR WHERE THE LINE CONNECTS WITH A RUBBER HOSE.

Consequence
FUEL LEAKS, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL LINE FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 31, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SUBARU AT 1-800-782-2783
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX- MBP
i don;t see California in there...
Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
I have had a letter come in the mail for it. Never did it because I have a different motor now.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
When I worked at Subaru the some of the techs did a few of these warrantee jobs. They recalled it because they noticed imprezas that were in colder climates the fuel lines would get brittle and crack causing fuel to leak. It's only 2 hoses that they replace, maybe 3. All they do is pull off the intake manifold and replace them. Sometimes working on old hoses they tend to be very hard and brittle and can snap, but those prices seem high to replace lines if they "happen" to break.

Try to use a small mirror and light to see if any fuel is leaking..
Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 PM

They said that the fuel lines would be replaced for free I was think that the intake hose was a little expensive. They said it is under warranty. I don't like the gas smell inside my car which is why I want to get it replaced.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:39 PM

got this replaced today at the dealer, no charge and hopefully no more gas smell! if anyone that has a bug-I hasnt done this yet you should do it ASAP!!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Car Info: 2015 FR-S
I had the fix done by Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City before Subaru of America issued the recall. I paid out of pocket.

When I got the recall notice, it said if you had it repaired already, you can submit a claim for reimbursement. I did just that and got my money back three months later.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 PM

thats the way to go
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
When I worked at Subaru the some of the techs did a few of these warrantee jobs. They recalled it because they noticed imprezas that were in colder climates the fuel lines would get brittle and crack causing fuel to leak. It's only 2 hoses that they replace, maybe 3. All they do is pull off the intake manifold and replace them. Sometimes working on old hoses they tend to be very hard and brittle and can snap, but those prices seem high to replace lines if they "happen" to break.

Try to use a small mirror and light to see if any fuel is leaking..
I read another thread about a notice to replace copper fuel line and rubber coupler under the manifold. I bought a 2003 wrx used last week and we had a subzero night in Denver and now I smell gas. does this go away when it warms up or is this basically something that breaks when it gets cold and stays broken. I have a 2 yr breakdown "warranty" so I'm hoping they'll cover this and not give me crap about a factory recall. I don't think used car owners can go back to suby dealer and get this fixed if out of original warranty.

Any ideas. Don't want my kid to blow up on the way to school next week.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:31 AM

if your car has not already had the recall done then you can take it to any subaru dealer because it is a recall issue, does not matter where you bought it or if you are not the original owner. but be careful on where you take it, the guy who did my recall was a more-on and messed up the crank sensor and they didnt know what the problem was, to make a long story short i didnt have my car for about 3 weeks.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 02-wrx
Got my replace last year at Capital Subaru . I had gas leaking everywhere when I was warm up my car one morning and it was like 32 degrees. I recommend replace this right away.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
I called Arapahoe Subaru and the service rep knew exactly what I was talking about . Need to send him VIN and he says he can tell from there if it is covered by Subaru recall. I'll see how it goes.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
The New York times had this recall mentioned in an article back in 2009.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...0-motorcycles/

• Subaru also has a new recall involving a concern about fire. It is recalling about 5,700 of its 2002-03 Impreza WRX models because of a possible fuel leak, according to the safety agency. But Subaru says it is not a big deal.

The agency says under “extremely cold temperatures,” leaks in the fuel delivery line could occur, possibly leading to a fire. It says there are 944 complaints of either fuel leakage or the smell of gasoline including one report from Subaru about a fire.

However, in a letter to the agency Subaru says it has “concluded that the affected vehicles do not contain a safety related defect within the meaning of federal motor vehicle safety law.” It says it will recall the vehicles, nevertheless, to “resolve concerns by our owners and N.H.T.S.A.”

While the safety agency’s investigation covered about 43,000 vehicles nationwide it is allowing Subaru to recall only vehicles from the following cold-weather states: South Dakota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Minnesota, Idaho, Iowa, Montana, Colorado, Wisconsin, New York, Wyoming, Michigan, Alaska, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine.

In other states Subaru says it will extend the warranty on the fuel line to 12 years and unlimited mileage. In addition, owners who smell gasoline can take the car to a dealer for the recall.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM

Car Info: EQ tuned bugeye
i got a letter way back saying they need to do the recall on my car, been meaning to handle it i just dont have time
Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
i had this issue when going up to tahoe...
i called up carlson subaru and they told me I have to pay a $150 inspection fee and if they found out that my 03 wrx needed the fuel line stuff to be replaced then the $150 would be waived. the dude told me no matter what i would be charged $150 first, then if things worked out my way then the $150 would be waived. they also told me that when i get the inspection done, there might be other hoses that are dry, cracked, and/or brittle and those may need to be replaced-which isn't covered under warranty...
anybody in the same shoes as i am?

Quick Reply: 02/03 WRX Gas Line Recall?