Subaru OEM Parts For Sale Subaru OEM new and used car parts can be listed here only!

Hi I'm new. Ready for a sob story about caveat emptor clause?

Old 02-25-2017, 04:22 PM

Car Info: MY00 SRP 2.5rs Coupe
Hi I'm new. Ready for a sob story about caveat emptor clause?

Before we get started: I understand that I agreed to pay and in no way feel entitled to anything. This is just an introduction.

I have always wanted an impreza coupe. Since I could drive, I wanted one. They were brand new when I was in HS and out of my price range. So my car life went elsewhere (rotary btw). I am a licensed driving instructor and my boss gave me the option to use my own car for lesson and for elaborate reasons I really felt this was a good option for me. I was torn between an IS300, 2.5rs or 3 series E36. All similarly priced. Ultimately the AWD was the deal-breaker for me. Better for new drivers.

Some dude was flipping an SRP in the 831 (car originally came from the Midwest) and I thought that buying a cheaper one (still overpriced) and using the extra money to replace/upgrade parts as they broke was reasonable. *RECORD SCRATCH* yeah, red flag number one...**** RUST!!!!!! Sorry for cursing.

Spent a lot of money replacing parts over the next three years and even though it was rough, the little subie took it like a warrior. Last February it developed a head gasket leak...and I stopped driving it.

Took it to Garage One and was told $2800 for the HG job and 1 week. Seemed ridiculously high...so I looked around for options. USDM turbo swap was too much money...ultimately I decided to get a rebuilt engine from a shop in Roseville, CA. Subaru Source. Rebuilt longblock for $2800...seemed like a whole engine vs HG job was a better deal.

I had a mechanic do the install for another $1000.

Broke it in properly, but it rattled loudly!! Had the valves adjusted by the same Subaru shop that diagnosed and quoted me. I told them all the codes it threw and all info they needed to diagnose the problem. $800 later they told me the same thing I told them and to have the crankshaft bearing(s) inspected under warranty. The Subaru tech even spoke with the Subaru Source owner and told him this. This was 2mo into engine break-in...the Rebuilder never answered my calls again. My 6mo warranty expired and the engine grenaded itself. Pixie dust in the oil.

5mo later here I am...too far to give up but too overwhelmed to do it myself. I ended up using the original block, did my own HG job and timing job and I am stuck trying to drop it in, by myself. I wanna give up but at the same time I am so close to seeing if the old block will turn over and run.

Btw, Subaru Source is no longer in business and the BBB said it is out of their hands. So SOL.

Sell the chassis, no engine? i know ppl want these cars but I don't know whether to ask fanboy price or just lose a lot of money and selling it for $1000.

*put on flame retardant suit*
Attached Thumbnails Hi I'm new. Ready for a sob story about caveat emptor clause?-img_0234.jpg   Hi I'm new. Ready for a sob story about caveat emptor clause?-img_1613.jpg  
Old 02-26-2017, 02:16 PM

Car Info: Too many subarus
Lol! Sob story indeed.

So ultimatley what are you saying????

I'll buy it for 1k looks like a sweet ride.
I'll tow it away!

Or install the engine for you.

Or do the headgasket job and t belt job for less than half of garage 1.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:26 PM

Car Info: MY00 SRP 2.5rs Coupe
I already did head gasket and timing belt on the original engine, I just need to drop it in the car. My goal is to get rid of it and buy a legacy or GM8 (need a 4dr) to do my lessons in.

Wife wants me to finish it cuz a running car sells better than a chassis but if you are serious come get the car, engines (1 blown) suspension and everything I have. Come look at it, I don't work Friday.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:13 PM

Car Info: Too many subarus
Originally Posted by TheDrivingCoach
I already did head gasket and timing belt on the original engine, I just need to drop it in the car. My goal is to get rid of it and buy a legacy or GM8 (need a 4dr) to do my lessons in.

Wife wants me to finish it cuz a running car sells better than a chassis but if you are serious come get the car, engines (1 blown) suspension and everything I have. Come look at it, I don't work Friday.

510 241 ate too ate sehven
Sure man, I would love to take over the project. Thanks. Give me a call or text if I don't pickup.