Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Timing belt skipped.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:40 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by Sufabru
There's a great product by Company 23 or something like that. They sell tools to remove the pulley, camshaft and things like that. I would never do another timing belt job without those tools. Got them at rallysportdirect. I'm sure they can be bought somewhere else though.
i love company 23. by far best subaru specialty tools out there for a fraction of the cost. cam holder work wonders. quick tap on cam bolt along with cam holder and bolt comes right out.

Originally Posted by Sufabru
You've offered to help quite a lot and I appreciate that. We need more people like you. I live up North though. Right around San Francisco but thank you so much for offering to help.

I took the heads off while the engine is still in the car. I'm at the process of looking for a machine shop right now. It's my first time dealing with this head gasket replacement, bent valve stuff so hopefully all goes well.

Just a question. I bought a new timing belt and a new timing belt tensioner when I tried figuring out why my car was misfiring hoping that were going to fixing it.

Now I know it's a bent valve for sure but I'm afraid to use the timing belt and the timing belt tensioner that I recently bought because it kept skipping and skipping when I was trying to fix the misfire.

Is it possible that the belt was skipping all the time because the exhaust valve was bent? Once I fix the exhaust valve do you think if I use the same timing belt and tensioner that it would no longer skip?

I feel like just buying a new timing belt and a tensioner to be sure. Will that be a waste of money?
a bent valve would not be the cause of the skipping. things that could cause a bad belt slip:
-improper belt guide clearance on MT subaru
-worn tensioner hydraulics
-worn bearings (tensioner, idler, water pump)
-worn belt (teeth starting to peel)
-front end collision that threw timing cover bits into moving belt

after a skipped motor, i wouldnt put anything back on but a new timing belt and kit. all new bearings, tensioner, and belt. be sure to use gates timing kit, OEM water pump, OEM WP gasket, OEM thermostat and coolant and youll be good
GL