Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Timing belt problem. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 04:57 AM

Car Info: 1998 Impreza L
Timing belt problem. Please help.

Here's the breakdown.

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i. The car had been leaking oil. I decided to check it out. Found that the leak was coming from a bad crankshaft oil seal.

I fixed the oil leak by putting on a new crankshaft oil seal. But...prior to this, the way I took off the crank pulley was the quick start method where I put a 22 and a breaker bar and started the car just enough to loosen the bolt. I have done two timing belt jobs so far and this has so far been working for me.

I mentioned this because I did the same thing to the camshaft thinking they might be the ones causing the leak without success. It might be worth mentioning because maybe there's a possibility that I might have damaged something in the process. Camshaft oil seals are fine.

My inexperienced led me to take off the belt without paying attention to the timing marks on the belt. I did aligned the whole thing before I took the belt off but the thing is the belt had been on there for about 95k miles already and the marks on the belt to help align the timing had been long gone. I was not able to mark the belt to help me put everything back once I was done fixing the leak.

I did not have a timing belt kit because I did not have enough budget for that at the moment. I simply wanted to fix the oil leak and then do a complete timing belt job along with water pump etc at around 105k-110k.

Anyways I went online to see the number of teeth from the crankshaft to the marks on the camshaft but I guess I didn't get the right information on that. I was already having bad feelings about the whole process. The belt not having marks etc.

So I put everything back and when I started the car the whole engine was shaking bad. Not a great feeling at all. Five or so minutes later the check engine light came on. It said misfire on number 1, 2, and 4.

After going nuts about the whole situation not knowing what to do I decided to buy a timing belt at the Subaru dealership so I have a mark to guide me with.

I started all over using the new belt and when I got done and started the car nothing changed. The car was shaking and it felt like it was dying. No power at all. Definitely something was not right.

No time. No budget. Just full of stress...I decided to buy spark plugs and spark plug wires from the Subaru dealership. I can't remember but I think 1, 2, and 4 had oil leaks. I can tell it was coming from the spark plug tube seals or maybe even from the valve seals I'm not sure. Anyways, that did not solve the problem.

I know you might be thinking...compression test and I am planning on it but today after work I went at it again hoping I can figure something out. I had no luck but I did find something interesting and I'm hoping it could be it.

The part number on the original timing belt was 13028AA21C and the part number on the new timing belt is 13028AA21B. I was so happy to see that thinking that might have been it but when I examined both belts they seemed to be pretty identical in teeth numbers, length etc.

Now I'm hoping the marks might be different for both.

I'm very sad and frustrated at the moment. I don't have a lot of money to be buying parts after parts just to solve the problem. Can anyone help?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Are you sure you aligned the markings correct for the crank and cam? You can do a search online to show you what position each should be in and what markings to look for.Im pretty sure the marking on the belt is used just as a guide for you but do not quote me as im no subaru tech.If all is correct then you have another issue did you turn any of the cam gears by any chance while the belt was off? I do know that in the wrx 2.0 they can only be turned in one direction otherwise it will bend the valves and cause damage.I say check the markings make sure all are aligned then move to the next step.