Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Official Subaru Gas Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 06 impreza 2.5i
UPDATE!!

Year/Model: 06 2.5i Sedan
Mods: none..
Octane used: Shell 92oct w/ Vpower
Milage: 23 mpg
Mostly City or highway driving? Half highway, half city
Price paid: $3.51 a gallon
Miles on that tankful: 300mi/13 gallons (all 'granny' driving)
Old 06-09-2006, 02:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
night... youre getting horrible mileage out of your car... its not a WRX right??? check your tire pressures... etc... Somethings up... ANd why are you running premium gas? Isnt 87 sufficient for the 2.5i engine?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:18 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
He's in Hawaii, so that could easily be for regular gas. And heavy traffic will kill gas mileage. My RS would only get 23-24ish when I wasn't able to stretch it out on the freeway, and I had advantages over a stock '06.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:38 AM
VIP Member

hmm.. says hes pumping 92 though.... hey BAN you got a VW?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:39 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Nope, Miata. I just think those commercials with Peter Stormaire are hilarious.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:28 AM

Car Info: 06 impreza 2.5i
Originally Posted by Boost Addict
night... youre getting horrible mileage out of your car... its not a WRX right??? check your tire pressures... etc... Somethings up... ANd why are you running premium gas? Isnt 87 sufficient for the 2.5i engine?

I kinda figured. I'm like reading in this thread that a lot of peeps are getting around 300+ miles w/ aggressive driving. I'm gonna check my tire pressure tomorrow.

BTW,about the premium gas,.. shoot idk.. a few of my friends as well as some peeps in the forum said that using premium gas helps fuel economy.. and also it gives more power.

Certainly, I'ma go check out my tire pressure tomorrow. thanks.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:23 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by nightraven086
BTW,about the premium gas,.. shoot idk.. a few of my friends as well as some peeps in the forum said that using premium gas helps fuel economy.. and also it gives more power.
Use what your Impreza Owner's Manual recommends for your car model. The WRX and STi must use premium fuel to avoid detonation in daily driving, as any lesser fuel will cause pinging under load. You may be wasting money because premium neither helps fuel economy nor gives more power if your car's engine does not need it.
Origami posted by nightraven086
Certainly, I'ma go check out my tire pressure tomorrow. thanks.
Split off your tire pressure question to the Maintenance & Warranty Forum so we can try to stay on-topic.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-10-2006, 04:29 AM
VIP Member

yeah, night... you dont need premium in a standard Impreza (Im pretty sure, but check your manual, or spec sheets)

Premium fuel only helps fuel economy when your car is tuned to that specific high octane... and thats only because running lower will cause detonation/compensation and run rich to avoid detonation, etc making you use up more fuel.. you will get the best economy out of what the engine is tuned for...

Hopefully your tire pressures and proper fuel type will eliminate your issue... get some 27-28 averages hell, go for 30! Let us know
Old 06-18-2006, 01:41 AM

Car Info: Subaru Forester XT 06
Originally Posted by TheRooster
Year/Model: 06 STI
Modified: Stock
Octane used: CA-91, Almost always Chevron
Milage: 285 miles to 13 gallons = 21.9 mpg
Mostly City or highway driving: Mostly highway, though stop-and-go through San Francisco for the Bay Bridge shutdown at night.
How in the world are you getting almost 22 mpg with an STI???? I just bought an 06 Forester XT (turbo) and am HORRIFIED by the gas mileage! I mainly do only city driving, but the mileage is always around 13 mpg!! I researched the heck out of this car before buying it and everyone on the message boards I saw said it usually gets around 18-20 in the city, except for one guy who said his got around 12. I thought he probably wasn't calculating it correctly and wrote him off. Now, I'm in the same boat! I only get around 200 miles on a tank of 91 octane California gas. I've only had the car since the end of March. Weather is not an mileage issue.

Also, even when I'm driving on a cold night, the driver's leg/foot area gets inordinately hot. When I touch that side of the console (where the radio is mounted, etc.), it's burning up. The passenger side of the console is much cooler. Anyone else experiencing this? The dealership is gonna think I'm nuts when I bring it in this week. The car only has 1400 miles on it.

And, no one ever mentions how damn HOT these cars get just from sitting in the sun! OMG! The thing is like a Swedish sauna, even with the reflective shade I always put in the windshield. I've never had such a hot car before. I'm gonna have it tinted as dark as a limo this month because I just can't stand it! You'd think the car was black, but it's not. The car's a dark silver.

Gotta say, however, that the thing is just a BLAST to drive. LOVE the car! Best car I've ever driven (and I've had a Porsche and BMW!). It's just hotter than heck and gets really lousy gas mileage (which sucks because the reason I bought the thing was to get better mileage than my regular, truck-based SUV, which gets 10 mpg).

I'm gonna check the air in my tires this week, but I'm assuming that the dealership inflated them to the proper numbers. Any other suggestions? I even removed the roof racks hoping that would help! Will the window tinting help?

Regards,

Samantha
Old 06-18-2006, 06:18 AM

Origami posted by kumari93
How in the world are you getting almost 22 mpg with an STI???? I just bought an 06 Forester XT (turbo) and am HORRIFIED by the gas mileage! I mainly do only city driving, but the mileage is always around 13 mpg!! I researched the heck out of this car before buying it and everyone on the message boards I saw said it usually gets around 18-20 in the city, except for one guy who said his got around 12. I thought he probably wasn't calculating it correctly and wrote him off. Now, I'm in the same boat! I only get around 200 miles on a tank of 91 octane California gas. I've only had the car since the end of March. Weather is not an mileage issue.
Unless there's something amiss with the engine controls (ECU and fuel management), I can only guess that the poor fuel economy is due to traffic, terrain, and driving style. The latter has much to do with both city and highway mileage, but if you have to drive in a lot of stop and go traffic conditions, there isn't much you can do to improve the situation.

How is your highway fuel economy? If this number is way off from the EPA estimate during constant highway driving then maybe there is something not right with the vehicle.
Origami posted by kumari93
Also, even when I'm driving on a cold night, the driver's leg/foot area gets inordinately hot. When I touch that side of the console (where the radio is mounted, etc.), it's burning up. The passenger side of the console is much cooler. Anyone else experiencing this?
I'm going to link to a new thread on this topic so as not to stray too far off-topic in this fuel mileage thread.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-19-2006, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP STi
Year/Model: 06 STi
Octane used: CA 91
Milage: 21.25 mpg
Price paid: $3.35
Miles on that tankful: 340 miles
Driving Condition : All Hwy
Mods : None

Year/Model: 06 STi
Octane used: CA 91
Milage: 14.06 mpg
Price paid: $3.35
Miles on that tankful: 225
Driving Condition : All Local
Mods : None
Old 07-05-2006, 07:26 AM

Origami posted by Racerkid
2006 Forester XT (Stock)
$3.30 per gal @ about 200 miles
City driving
You haven't supplied enough information. See first post in thread. Please calculate actual fuel economy, which is the number of miles travelled divided by the precise number of gallons used since last fillup. 'Guesstimates' of miles to the tankful aren't precise enough since the gas gauge is far from a precision instrument.

Year/Model:
Mods:
Octane used:
Mostly City or highway driving?:
Calculated fuel economy:
Old 07-30-2006, 01:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Year/Model: 02 WRX
Mods: engine is stock
Octane used: 91
Mostly City or highway driving?: city
Calculated fuel economy: 19.68
Old 09-24-2006, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 02 wagon
2002 WRX Wagon

AUTOMATIC =)

K&N Panel Filter
TiTek catless up-pipe
perrin inlet
samco Y pipe
Helix Turbo back exhaust

91 Octane

20 +1/-1Mpg
61k miles
50% City 50% Highway

250-260 Miles a tank...
Old 10-16-2006, 09:34 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
A few days ago on my 02 wrx, about 50/55 whp/wtq above stock -- TMIC, IC hoses, UP, TBE, ECUTEK dyno tune, stock turbo.

207.7 miles / 14.4 gallons = 14.42 mpg. 95% street 5% freeway driving.

I seem to always be on boost and flooring it constantly.

Quick Reply: Official Subaru Gas Mileage Thread