Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Hood Scoop Delete Grille w/TMIC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 06:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Hood Scoop Delete Grille w/TMIC?

So, I've been flirting with heresy, and am interested in a hood scoop delete, namely the KS Tech ones, unless anyone knows a cheaper option.

KS gives a disclaimer about not recommending use with TMICs, which I plan to run with for the indefinite future, citing the potential for knock. Sounds like a CYA measure.

I otherwise hear the stock scoop doesn't even take in air after about 35MPH. And if anything, wouldn't an open vent let out (through) more air at speed, and def at a stop? Just a shear larger opening.

So far as possibly applicable mods, I've a Subtle Solutions turbo chimney, big Perrin TMIC, and cold air intake (which is mostly for smog purposes if you say you don't believe in that sort of thing - it has an EO number, my particular short ram does not).

KS Tech also offers a louver plate to stick under the grille, but it seems to serve more a privacy than performance function.

I daily my car, kick around weekends, might track it someday.

Thoughts, concerns, criticisms, conjecture?

I've read a whole lot of "i can has the fizyx!!!!1111!!11" "arguments" out there about this (or at least retaining the scoop vs say running an NA hood for sleeper purposes), but not much actual data.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:58 PM
White Lightning

Car Info: Built, 6-Speed, E85, #pluskey 06 Wagon
wait, you want to remove the scoop and keep the tmic?
WHHYYYY?!?!?!
Old 05-17-2014, 08:21 PM

Car Info: Aspen White '04 STi Daily: '13 PMM Civic Si
Originally Posted by kamnewton
WHHYYYY?!?!?!
This.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kamnewton
WHHYYYY?!?!?!
Easily reversible mod. After I get my VF37 in there, I'll be happy if I break 350, no need for a front mount. More interested in response and low end power than top speed dominance.

Believe you me, I like the scoop, just wanted some change and hopefully the form doesn't dick with the function.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 PM
White Lightning

Car Info: Built, 6-Speed, E85, #pluskey 06 Wagon
Originally Posted by de_engineered
Easily reversible mod. After I get my VF37 in there, I'll be happy if I break 350, no need for a front mount. More interested in response and low end power than top speed dominance.

Believe you me, I like the scoop, just wanted some change and hopefully the form doesn't dick with the function.
whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by kamnewton; 05-17-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
I guess if you like heat soak -> inconsistent power and increased chance of detonation this could be your thing.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:10 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM WRX Wagon
This should just be deleted. Never seen such idiocracy.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 06 AW STi
What about a GR style hood? I've seen BRZ's with them. Obviously its not functional, but that would be interesting to see on a GD.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Please do, i was always curious of how many ways people could **** their cars
Old 05-17-2014, 10:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Brfatal
I guess if you like heat soak -> inconsistent power and increased chance of detonation this could be your thing.
Yes, heat soak happens and hot intake temps cause knock etc. Now show me, and not just some guy you heard once, that a grille specifically would cause that though. Not an NA hood, not a block off plate, but an open wire mesh.

Originally Posted by awdorgtfo
This should just be deleted. Never seen such idiocracy.
It's a question, not a set intention, even if I am biased to try it. I wouldn't have asked otherwise. I am perfectly willing to drop it just the same, again why I asked and didn't just pull the trigger, but I'd like to hear better reasons that what seems to amount to #BecauseStock. Why ever mod a car if that's the case.

I suppose it should give me warm fuzzies that people care enough to say something here, or did I just tip over the wrong sacred cow?
Old 05-17-2014, 11:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
electric fans on the IC??
Old 05-17-2014, 11:09 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by newyorkreload
electric fans on the IC??
Wire mesh =/= block off plate

I make the imo not unreasonable presumption that air still is flowing, albeit out of the vent as opposed to in.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Yes, heat soak happens and hot intake temps cause knock etc. Now show me, and not just some guy you heard once, that a grille specifically would cause that though. Not an NA hood, not a block off plate, but an open wire mesh.
And? How about some common sense? Where is your airflow for heat exchange going to come from? You can't fit a fan under the intercooler. Not that you would want to to that route anyways as it's far less effective than using outside air due to high engine bay temps.

Wire mesh =/= block off plate

I make the imo not unreasonable presumption that air still is flowing, albeit out of the vent as opposed to in.
Not nearly as much and the very limited air that is flowing is much more heat saturated and less efficient at cooling the intercooler than the alternative.

Last edited by Brfatal; 05-17-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:46 PM
VIP Member

I've read a whole lot of "i can has the fizyx!!!!1111!!11" "arguments" out there about this (or at least retaining the scoop vs say running an NA hood for sleeper purposes), but not much actual data.
I give up.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Overbear's Power Bottom

Yes, heat soak happens and hot intake temps cause knock etc. Now show me, and not just some guy you heard once, that a grille specifically would cause that though. Not an NA hood, not a block off plate, but an open wire mesh. It's a question, not a set intention, even if I am biased to try it. I wouldn't have asked otherwise. I am perfectly willing to drop it just the same, again why I asked and didn't just pull the trigger, but I'd like to hear better reasons that what seems to amount to #BecauseStock. Why ever mod a car if that's the case. I suppose it should give me warm fuzzies that people care enough to say something here, or did I just tip over the wrong sacred cow?
sorry there are so many rude people on this forum. I think it looks cool. While I can't offer any professional advice on your mods you want to do, it does look sick, but it looks like it would get much less air flow to the IC. Most of them are nerdy, like really nerdy. But they better be careful because i know a lot more about them than they even know. And it's not because I'm a computer nerd.

Last edited by Tren Hard; 05-18-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Hood Scoop Delete Grille w/TMIC?