Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

help with radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:02 PM

Car Info: 2007 wrx
help with radiator

Hey guys so I have an 07 wrx...it has been running just fine, no problems. All of a sudden when heading back to work, I noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. I parked the car and turned it off. When I looked at the front, there was coolant sprayed all over the front of the car, and coolant just draining from underneath the car. Any idea what this could be? Maybe a busted radiator, hose, or thermostat?
Old 06-15-2014, 04:21 PM

Car Info: 2004 Wrx wagoon
Originally Posted by subie07
Hey guys so I have an 07 wrx...it has been running just fine, no problems. All of a sudden when heading back to work, I noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. I parked the car and turned it off. When I looked at the front, there was coolant sprayed all over the front of the car, and coolant just draining from underneath the car. Any idea what this could be? Maybe a busted radiator, hose, or thermostat?
Could be all three of your guesses. If it was my car i'd top it off, start it up and see where its coming from. You didnt overheat did you?
Old 06-15-2014, 04:23 PM

Well my temp gauge spiked up pretty high, but luckily I was able to park the car and shut it off pretty quickly.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Car Info: 06 AW STi
I just had this problem a few weeks ago. Turns out that subaru used radiators with plastic end tanks top and bottom. the plastic just had enough and couldn't seal to the metal any longer and the coolant just exploded from the weak spot. I had to replace the whole thing, but this time I did it with a Koyo all aluminum radiator as I didn't want this problem to arise again. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by FL4T
I just had this problem a few weeks ago. Turns out that subaru used radiators with plastic end tanks top and bottom. the plastic just had enough and couldn't seal to the metal any longer and the coolant just exploded from the weak spot. I had to replace the whole thing, but this time I did it with a Koyo all aluminum radiator as I didn't want this problem to arise again. Good luck.
This, if it is your rad i would recommend replacing with an all aluminum aftermarket one. If it's a hose, silicone hoses are a hell of alot better to work with then oem rubber.

I had a radiator and the lower rad hose blow on me on two separate occasions, it overheated once. 500 miles later my head gasket went so watch for signs of that afterwards.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by FL4T
I found the problem. Turns out it was exactly that. The plastic couldn't handle it anymore and It cracked. There's a long crack across it. It cracked right under the intake. The only way to see it is to take it off. I'll shop around for a new one. Thanks a lot to the both of you! I appreciate the help.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hipmvmt
This, if it is your rad i would recommend replacing with an all aluminum aftermarket one. If it's a hose, silicone hoses are a hell of alot better to work with then oem rubber. I had a radiator and the lower rad hose blow on me on two separate occasions, it overheated once. 500 miles later my head gasket went so watch for signs of that afterwards.
What signs should I watch for?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by subie07

What signs should I watch for?
My headgasket started with tiny exhaust bubbles in the coolant, and progressed into pushing coolant into the reservoir tank and overflowing it.

Other things that can happen when a headgasket goes would be oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil, exaust in oil or cooland ststems, or oil leaks around the head gasket.

Dont worry too much about it though, just check your fluids regularly, dont be afraid to ask here if you see something that strikes you as odd.