Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Car insurance for a weekend racecar?? what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
Car insurance for a weekend racecar?? what to do?

So I just picked up a 2005 built WRX that I want to use as a trackcar. It will hardly see any street time but will be raced quite regularly at track days, rallies, rallycrosses, and autocrosses.

my question is car insurance and what should I get/ do?

I know most street cars insurance companies like Geco, AAA etc. are for road cars ONLY and will not cover anything if the car sees track time.

so is there special coverage for race cars? what about if it gets stolen from my house? Do I just hope for the best and not insure the car? what about if I take it to get milk down the street?

Anyone have any experience with this?
Any/all advise with be helpful.
thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Do you have a truck and trailer? How do you plan to get to the events if you don't have insurance and registration?
If you drive down the street in an unregistered car with no insurance the police can impound, and then sell your car. You probably shouldn't risk losing your race car to get some ****ing milk. Not to mention that race cars usually have less safety equipment to protect passengers or pedestrians.

Home owner's insurance could include coverage for theft from your house if you have receipts and your policy includes this. If you're storing it in the trailer of your tow rig then your car insurance could cover it as if it were life anything else stolen out of your truck.

I'm know people have lied and claimed their accident was just on their way to or from the racetrack to fraudulently have the damage covered. Regular insurance policies usually cut out when you start "competing" against either the clock or other drivers, not just because you were driving on a track.

Read this: Car Insurance at the Racetrack – Everything you ever wanted to know about Car Insurance and Track Days « Wurth Motorsports

And get your race-day specific insurance coverage from these guys: Lockton Motorsports | HPDE, Racers, Collector Car and Event Insurance
Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
i have a trailer. and it's registered as a non-op.
thanks for the info!