Speed Trial USA May 24-25, 2008 Saturday and Sunday Streets of Willow Full Course

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by pablo_her
yeah i want to come for sure. want to get some stuff to my car before the next time i go.
Hey Pablo regarding the track, I wouldn't get too into it that much especially if its your first time. What I mean by this is you don't need to buy expensive R compound tires, upgraded brakes, a performance tune on your car.

As long as the car runs and works then you'll be fine. I remember the first time I brought i-club out to the track, everyone was rushing to buy new suspension, r-compound tires, upgraded brakes and a 4 point harness. The funny thing is they never bought a helmet but were willing to buy all of this other random useless stuff.

I say useless because they have never benchmarked their car on the track. I've taken plenty of stock cars up and they all lasted the same as the other people who spent tons of cash on unnecessary parts.

So if you want to come and your car is in normal running conditions, nothing leaks, tires have about 50% tread then bring it as is. Its a track day not a race.

and I quote Ruben, "don't go cheap on a helmet, its your head" so don't waste your money on buying useless parts for your car for the track. Take it as is and just try.

Ruben's car is completely stock with the exception of his tires. He was perhaps the fastest in our group, even faster than Ferdie in his new 2008 STI which is not stock. Just piece of mind I guess.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
whens the next one? i might go.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by hey1
whens the next one? i might go.
Next one is july 5 and 6
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx
Originally Posted by LifePlaza
Hey Pablo regarding the track, I wouldn't get too into it that much especially if its your first time. What I mean by this is you don't need to buy expensive R compound tires, upgraded brakes, a performance tune on your car.

As long as the car runs and works then you'll be fine. I remember the first time I brought i-club out to the track, everyone was rushing to buy new suspension, r-compound tires, upgraded brakes and a 4 point harness. The funny thing is they never bought a helmet but were willing to buy all of this other random useless stuff.

I say useless because they have never benchmarked their car on the track. I've taken plenty of stock cars up and they all lasted the same as the other people who spent tons of cash on unnecessary parts.

So if you want to come and your car is in normal running conditions, nothing leaks, tires have about 50% tread then bring it as is. Its a track day not a race.

and I quote Ruben, "don't go cheap on a helmet, its your head" so don't waste your money on buying useless parts for your car for the track. Take it as is and just try.

Ruben's car is completely stock with the exception of his tires. He was perhaps the fastest in our group, even faster than Ferdie in his new 2008 STI which is not stock. Just piece of mind I guess.
+1 run it as is, the first time i went i drove my 06 bone stock. even with the suck RE92s and yes i did spin out. But the point is not seeing how fast your car can go but how fast you can go
Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 AM

Car Info: 08 silver sti

AWESOME! thanks. then i will just be looking for a helmet a good helmet and gloves.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pablo_her
AWESOME! thanks. then i will just be looking for a helmet a good helmet and gloves.

congrats on 1000th post

contact Ferdie southcoast subaru about the HJC helmets. Relatively affordable good helmets.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
Originally Posted by theheckwithyou
+1 run it as is, the first time i went i drove my 06 bone stock. even with the suck RE92s and yes i did spin out. But the point is not seeing how fast your car can go but how well you can drive your car
how bout that?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: rx8
check your brake pad life
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx
Originally Posted by hey1
how bout that?
that works too
Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 08 silver sti
haha i didnt even notice that hahaha. i am doin my brakes soon but yeah i will check them again before i go.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM

Car Info: 04 Red Impreza, 84 Levin GT-SR5

yah Franco pretty much hit it on the head. If you've never been out to a track/autoX event you'll have no benchmark of what the car and more importantly what you as a driver is capable of. Unneccessary mods hide poor driving skills, just look at Lawson and his r-comps and coilovers. jk man. Ruben does unbelievably well for a bone stock evo + r-comps but its not about whats on the car. Remember it's 80% driver & 20% car.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ConeHead
nice aggressive runs...was the evo a friend of yours or were you just chasing it down?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 04 Red Impreza, 84 Levin GT-SR5
Chase Chase Chase!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 AM

Don't know the Evo driver. He had a passenger (instructor?) riding with him on that run. Checked out his ride after and noticed he has a pretty nice setup with 265/35-18 R888.

Originally Posted by laoba
nice aggressive runs...was the evo a friend of yours or were you just chasing it down?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

can we rent transponders the next event?

Quick Reply: Speed Trial USA May 24-25, 2008 Saturday and Sunday Streets of Willow Full Course