Possibly LA bound.. where to live..

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Possibly LA bound.. where to live..

First thing that comes to mind is, move to south central, watts or compton.

Heh, I maybe getting a job in Gardena with a rather large company and if that happens I am moving. So far the response from the interviewer was "the interview went very well". So we'll see.

Anyway in the mean time I am trying to plan out best case scenario so I'm ready for the movie. I have looked at tons of areas, but being that I haven't lived in LA in 18yrs and when I visit I go to Dodgers games and Huntington Beach... I don't know the areas too well as far as living goes. I can drive LA with my eyes closed but it doesn't help me find a good area.

I am looking to live some what near Gardena I'd say 20 minutes ISH. Was looking at Manhattan beach but it might be too rich for my blood.. looking for a house or an apartment, hoping to keep rent below $1600. Where I am now in Santa Rosa north of SF, I am renting a 2bedroom house that's about 900sqft for $1350. If I could find something like this even if it cost a bit more that would be perfect.

Anyway, what are your recommendations for areas to live? I am looking for "safer" areas that are still affordable.. or somewhere inbetween... WeHo seems to be my best bet for the balance of safe and price. But what do you guys think?

Also I guess closer to the beach is a preference...

Last edited by evsoul; 07-01-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Anyone?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Sorry was a holiday weekend.

I work in Torrance. "The heck with you" lawson is the city manager for G town.

hermosa is nice so is el sugundo I know Tim lived there. Let me get them in this thread.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 AM
VIP Member

Yeah I figured it was the weekend haha, so thought i'd revive this.

Where do you live?

I would love to live in Hermosa or El Sugundo.. the idea of a beach community that's NOT northern california sounds incredible.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx
did someone say gardena, no i'm not the CM of gardena.

evsoul: what company?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:13 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by evsoul
Yeah I figured it was the weekend haha, so thought i'd revive this.

Where do you live?

I would love to live in Hermosa or El Sugundo.. the idea of a beach community that's NOT northern california sounds incredible.
It is!!!

I live in bellflower 90706. I lived in Long beach for a few years. I loved it.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:29 AM
VIP Member

Sweet either way I expect some sort of travel.

theheckwithyou I wanna wait to mention the name, it's a pretty big company.. being paranoid cause it's the biggest opportunity of my life haha.

I'm lookin more n more at long beach.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:56 PM

Car Info: 08 silver sti
i live in pomona! down the street from jessica albas family
Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Late post. I lived in Torrance and P/V. Both decent places with Torrance having good access to the beach areas like Hermosa and Manhattan. P/V is a penninsula so you are living on the coastline.

If I had a choice to live in El Segundo and Hermosa, I'd rather live in hermosa. Jogging along The Strand in the morning or evening is nice. You could try Playa del Rey, but it depends on whether or not you want to hear airplane traffic going into LAX and it can be pricey. (of course now in SD, I listen to military jets from Miramar and commercial jets from San Diego Int'l) For bang for the buck, i'd live in Torrance.

Evsoul, which company?

Last edited by samurai; 08-18-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

Samurai, parker-hannifin in Gardena.

One thing I don't get is, why is Playa Del Ray on the higher side of costs if they are next to the airport? Seems like it's typically opposite haha.. i know it's nice there, it's just interesting because up here in Oakland you DON'T want to live by the airport haha. Or so it seems at least.

Torrance is a big +1 from me so far, but so is long beach near downtown or a little south in Belmont Shore. I am considering buying a house within the first 6 months and long beach seems to have some nice options.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Originally Posted by evsoul
Samurai, parker-hannifin in Gardena.

One thing I don't get is, why is Playa Del Ray on the higher side of costs if they are next to the airport? Seems like it's typically opposite haha.. i know it's nice there, it's just interesting because up here in Oakland you DON'T want to live by the airport haha. Or so it seems at least.

Torrance is a big +1 from me so far, but so is long beach near downtown or a little south in Belmont Shore. I am considering buying a house within the first 6 months and long beach seems to have some nice options.
Playa Del Rey is in close proximity to the beach (Dockweiler) as well as fairly easy access to LAX and Manhattan and Hermosa Beaches. Perhaps that why its pricey..

As for Oakland, you have to pick and choose your places. The Oakland hills are a pretty nice place to live, but as you start closing in on 880............

I'd just live in an apartment first just to get used to the area and then splurge for the house if you like it.. Thats kind of what I'm doing in San Diego. Hard to gauge how I'd like the area without living there first.

Parker Hannafin should be a solid company. They supply all sorts of aircraft parts to different manufacturers and with all sorts of new, smaller aircraft coming out along with aircraft reengining programs, it should be pretty busy.

Good luck with your search!