My last "They didn't go moon trip".

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Originally Posted by sigma pi
northrop grumman

he hasnt met jack like we have ichi
Jack? didn't you meet Ron Sugar AND Alexis Livanos? I smell something and its NOT my farts!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM

OK , I agree that functionality has priotity but when I look at that LM, it has components that look so bogus.

It looks like a ricer put it to gether just to make it look like something.

samurai did you read this post a follow the images. The dirt looks as if it dried
and broke apart.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ichinobu
OK , I agree that functionality has priotity but when I look at that LM, it has components that look so bogus.

It looks like a ricer put it to gether just to make it look like something.

samurai did you read this post a follow the images. The dirt looks as if it dried
and broke apart.
Oh I was talking about the "POS" part of the debate. hehe

A ricer. It does look piecemealed together doesn't it? Back then there weren't too many engineering articles or work based on space travel. Heck, only the Mercury missions are the actual manned units to go out in space before Apollo and they were really reeling after the disaster on the launching pad that killed 3 astronauts and shelved the Mercury program. But unlike a ricer part like a "Akagi Red Suns" sticker put on the side windows of your car, these parts do have a purpose.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by samurai
Jack? didn't you meet Ron Sugar AND Alexis Livanos? I smell something and its NOT my farts!
dude you are about to be written up over there hahhahahhah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Knudsen_Northrop
Old 09-04-2007, 06:22 PM
9 to 5 mod

I've approved thermal installations on 12 different satellites when I was at Space Systems/Loral.
and you give teh OK on the apollo stuff?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Wagon
I think Ichinobu and Samurai need to talk face to face at a korean all you can eat... like next thur.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 AM

dude you are about to be written up over there hahhahahhah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Knudsen_Northrop
ummm remember that Northrop took over TRW which is where yo momma and I work. T=thompson, R= ramo, W=woolridge.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 AM

and you give teh OK on the apollo stuff?
i'd ok that given the technology back then. There were no velcros back then. i'd put a loop of tape on the bottom of the foot, but that won't prevent the blanket from ballooning when it gets out of earth's atmosphere. Tie wraps would outgas. I also don't want to cover the hinges. There are no "thermal technicians" like we have now that cut, sew, and tape. I'd have to do that myself. Given the time crunch they were probably under, there is no time to go back and do calcs or cut swaths of kapton and tape the layers together. They probably cut blanket scraps and put them on.

If that were done today, I wouldn't approve given the attachment methods attach points, ground straps, etc that I would be required to put on. But again, that is under today's processes and rules. I have given approval to things that looked like that, but only for thermal vacuum. If I were under the same time crunch, under the same conditions, even with todays technology, i'd probably ok it.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Wagon
i'd ok that given the technology back then. There were no velcros back then. i'd put a loop of tape on the bottom of the foot, but that won't prevent the blanket from ballooning when it gets out of earth's atmosphere. Tie wraps would outgas. I also don't want to cover the hinges. There are no "thermal technicians" like we have now that cut, sew, and tape. I'd have to do that myself. Given the time crunch they were probably under, there is no time to go back and do calcs or cut swaths of kapton and tape the layers together. They probably cut blanket scraps and put them on.

If that were done today, I wouldn't approve given the attachment methods attach points, ground straps, etc that I would be required to put on. But again, that is under today's processes and rules. I have given approval to things that looked like that, but only for thermal vacuum. If I were under the same time crunch, under the same conditions, even with todays technology, i'd probably ok it.
I think this thread has the most techical info in scal i-club history ever.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:00 AM
9 to 5 mod

ummm remember that Northrop took over TRW which is where yo momma and I work. T=thompson, R= ramo, W=woolridge.
yeah but you were hired under the NG name so it doesnt matter about TRW

do you know the drama of the pres. of NG getting fired from TRW then came back to buy them out and the top brass at TRW all retired that day?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 AM
9 to 5 mod

ok ok throw out the fact that they dont have velcro or zip ties
dont hold them to that standard because thats just dumb

so you would give it the OK because they were under the gun?

how long does it take to do it right?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 AM

ok ok throw out the fact that they dont have velcro or zip ties
dont hold them to that standard because thats just dumb

so you would give it the OK because they were under the gun?

how long does it take to do it right?
Well, fastening the blanket is really hard without those items because the thing just wants to slide against metal. If you looped a piece of tape to the foot of the pad, it only holds the outer layer and doesn't prevent the rest of the blanket from ballooning when getting out into space. Velcro is important because it is stitched usually through all the layers of the blanket. You then have vent holes which help the blanket not to balloon. For all I know, maybe the blanket looked good when it was attached and ballooned and reformed into the thing you saw in the pic. If it is hastenly made and attached, it takes 1-2 hours. Even then you are probably looking for any scraps of blanket and any place that is not a hinge to tape the damn thing. You should work on the floor sometime.

If you held those guys to todays standards in that case, making a pattern beforehand and installing it first, cutting all layers of the blanket properly (tough with scissors after the fact maybe they used a razor blade) taping the edges, cutting a small hole for venting, making sure that all the layers are grounded for electrostatic discharge (this is HARD), no velcro, making some notches to make it look good when put on (it won't because you have to go around those sharp corners with thick blanket), make stress relief holes at each corner so the blanket won't tear when folded (MLI for its stubbornness when asked to conform to a surface rips VERY easily) i'd say probably a good couple of hours. This is not including ripping a flight blanket. Then you have extra documentation to write up called a non conformance. Without any problems and even with techs, their turn around was maybe 4 hours AFTER doing the initial mockup blanket. The mockup with a good tech will take maybe 1-2 hours since all the pads are of similar shape. So in essence, 1-2 business day turn around for 4 dinky blankets to be done properly.

Lastly, blankets are last on first off. If they find a problem with the pad or anything around it or if they need to route cables or test equipment, the job that you spent 2-3 hours doing just installing the damn thing (including taping) is all gone to hell. Then when testing is done, they want the blanket back on right away so you are back down in the high bay waiting for the blanket to be installed or doing it yourself and holding up the show until you sign off that blanket. I'm sure NASA had signoff procedures back then, but with much cruder equipment and cruder attachment procedures.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 AM

yeah but you were hired under the NG name so it doesnt matter about TRW

do you know the drama of the pres. of NG getting fired from TRW then came back to buy them out and the top brass at TRW all retired that day?

A lot of the old guys that I talked to who worked when NGST as called TRW didn't like the take over or at least didn't show it in the open. TRW was more research oriented while Northrop is production oriented. The contrast of cultures was evident when I got here. Especially how to do a simple analysis. Some ppl say "use the design manual". Others say "using a book and using what you learned in school is just as easy".
Old 09-05-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by kenshin01
I think this thread has the most techical info in scal i-club history ever.

Can I get a "works on laaassseeerrrss" title now (where VIP member is?) hehe.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Pooparu
Timmay..
Can you finally put freaking laser beams on sharks?

Quick Reply: My last "They didn't go moon trip".