I came down to visit LA, and got pulled over. Quick question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:20 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
I came down to visit LA, and got pulled over. Quick question..

Hi there!

Ok, maybe not that quick I ventured down to LA this weekend to put 1000 miles down on my new 2.5. Anyhow I had just got on 405N somewhere around LAX and almost got killed because I forgot about my 4k rev limiter and got on the highway as I usually do and OMFG do people move quick lol. I adventured over to the commuter lane and was cruising along when the tomtom wench told me it was time to get off. The instant I got out of the commuter lane I hit the jackpot and see red and blue in my rear view. Thankfully I'm a fat old white guy with wife and kid in the car so the general hassling was absent. Just as he starts to explain what I did wrong an evo flew by and had a NASTY afterfire about 10 feet from the cop making him almost jump on my car lol. He quickly said "umm be careful," chucked my paperwork in my lap and ran to his car and took off.

Aside from the obvious entertainment value of this episode I'm curious about the commuter lanes down there, how the heck are you supposed to use them? I'm obviously missing something, and I was saved by the EVO so I never got a chance to get an explanation of why I got pulled over nor how to keep it from happening again.

As a side note I don't see how you guys do it. Every single time I got on the 405 it was a zoo, and folks down are WAY aggressive. I had fun in general but driving down there was a hair raising experience.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Pooparu
I'm assuming you are talking about Carpool lane (Commuter lane)?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx
that 405 for ya! haha
Old 09-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 2005 Acura RSX
you're only supposed to go in or out of the carpool lane when its not a double yellow line, only a single white dotted line
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by illusion
Hi there!

Ok, maybe not that quick I ventured down to LA this weekend to put 1000 miles down on my new 2.5. Anyhow I had just got on 405N somewhere around LAX and almost got killed because I forgot about my 4k rev limiter and got on the highway as I usually do and OMFG do people move quick lol. I adventured over to the commuter lane and was cruising along when the tomtom wench told me it was time to get off. The instant I got out of the commuter lane I hit the jackpot and see red and blue in my rear view. Thankfully I'm a fat old white guy with wife and kid in the car so the general hassling was absent. Just as he starts to explain what I did wrong an evo flew by and had a NASTY afterfire about 10 feet from the cop making him almost jump on my car lol. He quickly said "umm be careful," chucked my paperwork in my lap and ran to his car and took off.

Aside from the obvious entertainment value of this episode I'm curious about the commuter lanes down there, how the heck are you supposed to use them? I'm obviously missing something, and I was saved by the EVO so I never got a chance to get an explanation of why I got pulled over nor how to keep it from happening again.

As a side note I don't see how you guys do it. Every single time I got on the 405 it was a zoo, and folks down are WAY aggressive. I had fun in general but driving down there was a hair raising experience.
Well the rules in Nor Cal vs So Cal are not different in terms of CA highways

The rules of the carpool lane are the same all over the state. It is a fine for crossing the double yellow, how much it is, its roughly the same as an illegal u-turn based on the traffic circumstances.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by oxym0120n
you're only supposed to go in or out of the carpool lane when its not a double yellow line, only a single white dotted line

^ ya...it can get confusing
Old 09-22-2008, 03:35 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Ahh that would more than likely be what it was. I wasn't really paying attention, I was more worried about the guy 5 feet off my butt when tomtom squealed about my exit. The carpool lanes in in the bay area are all dotted white and only active during peak traffic times.

I should stop by the EVO forums and thank that guy for getting me out of a ticket.

First time I've ever been the driver down there, and even 1 weekend thickened my hide a bit lol. In heavy traffic I tend to leave a few car lengths in front of me just to be safe, but if I left even 1 car space down there it instantly got ganked I had a great weekend, but the freeways are pure chaos
Old 09-22-2008, 03:49 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
w00t ill help an evo guy out next time hahahhaa

jk dumb *** was trying to show off for you

BE CAREFUL NEXT TIME!!! this is why people get shot on our freeways we are hardcore about this kind of crap hahaha
but seriously dont go under 80 in the fast lane or commuter lane or else you will have a train behind you

each free way has its own vibe
105- filled with hispancis that drive 65 in the fast lane
10- everyone using the passing lane correctly most likely to see an exotic car on it
Old 09-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 08 silver sti
hahah its weird cause when ever i drive up there i freaking have a heart attack when ever i drive cause you all drive crazy. its alot easier to drive down here.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:00 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by pablo_her
hahah its weird cause when ever i drive up there i freaking have a heart attack when ever i drive cause you all drive crazy. its alot easier to drive down here.
NO KIDDING!!!!

its like they drive with blindfolds on in san francisco!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 08 silver sti
hell yeah
Old 09-22-2008, 04:05 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by LifePlaza
Well the rules in Nor Cal vs So Cal are not different in terms of CA highways

The rules of the carpool lane are the same all over the state. It is a fine for crossing the double yellow, how much it is, its roughly the same as an illegal u-turn based on the traffic circumstances.
We only have one double-yellow line for carpool lanes, and that's on the approach to the toll plaza for the Dumbarton Bridge. I haven't seen them on other bridges, and the regular carpool lanes are regular lane-separation lines.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:09 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx
i get really scared on the norcal freeways don't know why tho....
Old 09-22-2008, 04:13 PM
9 to 5 mod

Originally Posted by rau
We only have one double-yellow line for carpool lanes, and that's on the approach to the toll plaza for the Dumbarton Bridge. I haven't seen them on other bridges, and the regular carpool lanes are regular lane-separation lines.
yeah once you get out of LA its like nor cal everywhere else no double yellow line

on the way to willow springs it gets like that
Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by theheckwithyou
i get really scared on the norcal freeways don't know why tho....
cuz most drivers are dumb ****s

Quick Reply: I came down to visit LA, and got pulled over. Quick question..