Any good places to hike/camp in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:17 PM

Car Info: 2007 STi SWP
Question Any good places to hike/camp in SoCal?

Hey guys! Im coming down to SoCal Oct 21-24 to make a mini vacaion out of subiefest. Im hoping to catch a good hike while im down here. Any suggsions from the places you guys hve been to?

Type: hike + overnight camp
People: 2
Length: 7-15+ miles
Difficulty: Any! as long as the scenery is good, its worth the hike!
Style: any, maybe something with some nice scenery, or just a fun adventerous hike for 2 ppl. Just not a plain boring dirt road please :-)
Driving Distance: up to 2 hrs away from LA.

Thanks!!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:32 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Let me get some people in this thread for you BRB
Old 10-17-2011, 06:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
Mautai916, there are tons of places to hike in SoCal. You can hike up San Gabriel mountains (i.e. Mt. Wilson / Mt. Lowe). Henninger flats is a great place to camp out as you're high up but can still see the city lights below. Henninger Flats of Angeles National Forrest can lead you to various areas such as Chantry's Flat, Mt. Wilson Summit, Mt. Lowe Summit, Winters Creek. You can get from Henninger Flats to Mt. Lowe Summit via Idlehour (6 mi stretch of single track) traversing through Pine trees and streams and creeks.

I hike more than I camp so I can only point out so many places to hike (or trail run). Santa Monica has 68+ miles of Backbone Trail you can visit (stretches from Pt. Mugu to Will Rogers State Park).

You can also check out Mt. Baldy, Baden Powell. With up to 2hrs away, it's almost limitless. You can go as far as Wrightwood (east of LA; near I-15 / I-210 junction)
Old 10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
9 to 5 mod

There you are!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by hey1
Mautai916, there are tons of places to hike in SoCal. You can hike up San Gabriel mountains (i.e. Mt. Wilson / Mt. Lowe). Henninger flats is a great place to camp out as you're high up but can still see the city lights below. Henninger Flats of Angeles National Forrest can lead you to various areas such as Chantry's Flat, Mt. Wilson Summit, Mt. Lowe Summit, Winters Creek. You can get from Henninger Flats to Mt. Lowe Summit via Idlehour (6 mi stretch of single track) traversing through Pine trees and streams and creeks.

I hike more than I camp so I can only point out so many places to hike (or trail run). Santa Monica has 68+ miles of Backbone Trail you can visit (stretches from Pt. Mugu to Will Rogers State Park).

You can also check out Mt. Baldy, Baden Powell. With up to 2hrs away, it's almost limitless. You can go as far as Wrightwood (east of LA; near I-15 / I-210 junction)
yeah i know its pretty much limitless since my requirements are pretty broad. I was hoping to see if i can get some personal suggestions of specific trails ppl have been on. Maybe their favs will be my favs as well? ;-)

Any of those you listed above with camp grounds? And fav's amongs those listed?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Giant Bowery '84
Originally Posted by Mautai916
yeah i know its pretty much limitless since my requirements are pretty broad. I was hoping to see if i can get some personal suggestions of specific trails ppl have been on. Maybe their favs will be my favs as well? ;-)

Any of those you listed above with camp grounds? And fav's amongs those listed?
Henninger Flats is a camp ground. There is a campground 3 miles into Chantry flat if you hike toward Wintercreek which leads you up to Mt. Wilson. I think that one is called Sturtevant Camp. There is also a Hoegee's Campground out there few miles within Chantry Flats.

Chantry Flats - Loop to Hoegee's Camp - Hiking trip | EveryTrail

You can also check out Malibu Creek State Park. There is a campground out there also.. MCS has an awesome 15 mile loop you can hike. Though you mentioned that you don't like fire roads much. So I would suggest Chantry Flats / Santa Anita Canyon area.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by hey1
Henninger Flats is a camp ground. There is a campground 3 miles into Chantry flat if you hike toward Wintercreek which leads you up to Mt. Wilson. I think that one is called Sturtevant Camp. There is also a Hoegee's Campground out there few miles within Chantry Flats.

Chantry Flats - Loop to Hoegee's Camp - Hiking trip | EveryTrail

You can also check out Malibu Creek State Park. There is a campground out there also.. MCS has an awesome 15 mile loop you can hike. Though you mentioned that you don't like fire roads much. So I would suggest Chantry Flats / Santa Anita Canyon area.
thanks for the suggestions! Flat roads or not, i enjoy the hike for the scenery overall. :-)
Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 AM
9 to 5 mod

Thanks for your help Kevin