$50k WRX gets owned!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 07:28 AM

Car Info: formerly known as
Dude, you are an idiot. You think the only reason to install a twin plate is to impress people? I really think that was the last thing on their mind when putting it in. It's a burden in traffic, it's loud, and it makes your leg sore. Maybe it was the strength and longevity of a twin plate they were looking for?

Perhaps to some people, quarter mile time is not the end-all, be all of performance. Try 50-100 accel or something and the SPI car would blow the doors off the cheater Vishnu car.

BTW, did anyone notice the Vishnu car was running R compounds and race gas?
Old 06-23-2003, 11:01 AM

Location: "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Car Info: Midnight Black WRX - Lots O Mods
You got to love magazines

Well I figured I would post a reply in that I own the SPI car. I love threads like this because they always start with opinions based on filtered facts from a particular magazine article. It is very difficult to write a comparison test with cars that were built for very different reasons. And I agree, if SCC's goal was to kick the STI in the nuts through the quarter, then they should have brought out a different group of cars. (Easy Street, Turbo XS or even a differnet SPI car) The numbers speak for themselves and I am not at all questioning SCC's results. I was at the tests (very fun two days) and saw how the cars performed first hand. That said, each car was built and setup for radically different reasons. All were very nice cars and would be fun as hell to own. As for my car, SPI and I built it to see just how much whp could be pulled out of a 2003 WRX's motor without altering ANY of the stock internals. To that goal, I think we have done a great job. The most we have put down is 379.2 whp and 334.5 lb-ft. In addition, the car is now on the show circuit. As guys like Rob Shaw will tell you, it ain't easy to win at major car shows. (SEMA, IAS, etc) It takes big dollars to build a car that wins consistently. Especially without a ton of sponsors kicking down free parts, labor, dyno time, etc. Everyone involved with this project has been great and the car has been a ton of fun to drive. As for the price, hell yes it was expensive. Custom interiors, stereos, seats, carbon fiber everything, it all adds up. When SCC asked me how much it cost to build, I told them. I never broke out just the performance parts. Hell, that was the cheap stuff. Obviously, if all I wanted to do was build a quarter mile car I would have asked SPI to set the car very differently or I would have bought a Viper. But, that wasn't the goal. We achieved what we set out to and then some. Frankly, its great to see so many Subaru's on the road now. While the article probably could have been written differently or provided more detail about the individual car's purposes at least there are mags writing about the brand. There are still only a hand full of Subarus on the show circuit fighting 1000's on Hondas, Toyotas and Mitsus. The Subaru community is a pretty tight knit goup and I for one am happy to see any coverage of the cars that we all spend so much time debating, building and driving.

As an update, the car is much, much quicker in the low range now without the top end pull as we have replaced the monster AVO 450 turbo with a quicker spooling unit. We have installed a new body kit, interior pieces, etc. And it is still fun to drive. Hopefully, I will meet some of you at a show soon.

Cheers,

Ben

Last edited by moreHP; 06-23-2003 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:25 AM

Location: "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Originally posted by arthur
Well said Ben! You car is a monster in its own right. Don't let these "other" members get to you. "Opinions are just mere words!"

See you at the car shows ... just don't kick my *** too bad!

->arthur
Thanks. Next stop is HIN in Seattle. Just won the Extreme Autofest show in San Diego and the Import Invasion show at Laguna Seca. Its been a really fun month. As for everyone's feedback, how can you worry about someone else's opinion. They have a right to it. And if you are going to stand around a show and accept everone's praise you better be willing to accept a few less than positive comments. That's what forums are for, to debate particular topics.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:38 AM

Re: ben & his spi...

Originally posted by adrenalin112
whether or not i liek what u did what your car isnt important. Im glad u accomplished YOUR goal.

Quick question though... if u were to take your car out & run it, where would it be most at home? Since drag is out of the question, how would it fare at drifting, road racing, or rally? (being that the best tire was used in each application).
--michael
The way it is setup today probably a track like Sears Point (Infineon Raceway) in a road race setting. Drifting and rally would definitely be out of the question. The suspension setup would be crap for drifting and rally is just completely out of the question. Oh, and I would definitely want to pull out the stereo as it added a ton of weight. My plan is to show the car through February and then work with SPI to set it up for a particular race class. Perhaps the Speed Channel series. Not sure yet. Its a ton of work to set-up a car for that caliber of racing, but should be a blast. Suggestions?

Ben
Old 06-26-2003, 07:33 AM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
can someone please scan the story and post here, for us lazy slob who don't subscribe to this mag, and probably have no intention of going out to look for it
Old 06-26-2003, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by crowbar
yes, Huy is an idot. anyways, Ben's car is one of the best put together WRX's i have seen in a long time. the SCC comparison was BS from what Ryan was telling me, but whatever... kinda like when HIN put Ben's car right next to the SRT4 exposition.
hahhahahahah

At least I got to watch the WRX vs. SRT-4 video 2000 times. Hopefully, HIN in Seattle will be better. It couldn't be worse. Knock on wood.

Later
Old 06-26-2003, 10:53 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Re: Re: ben & his spi...

Originally posted by moreHP
The way it is setup today probably a track like Sears Point (Infineon Raceway) in a road race setting. Drifting and rally would definitely be out of the question. The suspension setup would be crap for drifting and rally is just completely out of the question. Oh, and I would definitely want to pull out the stereo as it added a ton of weight. My plan is to show the car through February and then work with SPI to set it up for a particular race class. Perhaps the Speed Channel series. Not sure yet. Its a ton of work to set-up a car for that caliber of racing, but should be a blast. Suggestions?

Ben
good luck with everything
Old 06-26-2003, 11:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: ben & his spi...

Originally posted by sigma pi
good luck with everything
I appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
anyone know where there any pics of this car? Until I get off my lazy @$$ to buy the mag, I want to see what it looks like... supposidely it was at the HIN in Long Beach, but I missed it
Old 06-26-2003, 01:01 PM

http://www.pbase.com/totoherbs/bens_car

Here you go
Old 06-26-2003, 01:58 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
thanks!, I might have seen your car before... Aliso Viejo area.... Pacific Park and Alicia. I guess your car is one of a kind but this was a couple months ago so not so clear.

Quick Reply: $50k WRX gets owned!!