Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Major Engine Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sportwagon 292WHP
I think it's the headlinght mod that did it...
Seriously though, you are running free flow intake, exhaust and stock injectors and you're running 18 psi of boost. And you raced on the highway in 4th gear, which means you were at full boost for more then a few seconds and cold weather made you even leaner then you already were. Did you really think the engne can take that kind of punishment? I would guess you've toasted a piston or 2. Time for a new block. Just make sure you get some gauges to monitor what your engine is doing and make sure you have fuel to support your mods.

Alex...
Old 02-24-2003, 04:05 PM

Car Info: Forester XT
All I can say is uhhmm... DUH! Oh, and they're not going to warranty it. Just because you can turn it up to 18psi doesn't mean it's helping. At 18psi that turbo is putting out such hot air that you probably weren't running any faster than stock. With no engine management the stock computer is going to try to give you insane amounts of timing advance in the upper RPMs where it usually tapers boost. Lots of timing advance, lean fueling, high boost, and high intake temps = BOOM!

Wow, now I really don't feel so bad about my motor. Thanks.

JD
webmaster@wrxhackers.com
www.wrxhackers.com
Old 02-24-2003, 08:39 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
hey

i bet it was the turbo outlet that blew off, and the oil was from the turbo.

without sounding too harsh, everyone here is right. the cai causes a lean condition (dyno proven) and running 18 psi is simpy too much for the stock turbo. it was at night in Seattle, which means it was probably cold. pushing that cold dense air will also cause a lean condition, and that alone is scary with the crappy gas we have here in the US. All that probably combined to make one hell of a lean condition in cylinder 3 (imfamous for running lean) and blew the gasket, or the piston, or both. Or even more than that. maybe even cooked the turbo bearing seals.

either way you look at it, good luck with your new motor. as others have said, there is no way they will warranty it, even if you can get it back looking stock. Before you put all those parts on your new motor, do some research in this forum and the engine mgnt section. there is VOLUMES of knowledge here, and just a few hours could have saved you some $$.

good luck, and let us know how it goes.

josh
Old 02-25-2003, 07:05 AM

Car Info: 4 wheels
Isn't there a fuel cutoff on the stocker turbo ~ 17-18psi?

I would imagine that as the car runs ~15psi most of the time an extra 3psi wouldn't be so bad. Are you sure it was only 18psi?

I know the boost builds fast in 4th gear... maybe you overshot further.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:15 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by WRXs2Fast4U
I put the car back to stock(pain in the ***) and I took it to another Subaru dealership. They took a look at it and they are covering it under waranty!
You lucked out.

Well I just bought a fuel pump, and a fuel regulator hopefully this will cause me from leaning out again! I also am leaving boost at 16psi, cause this is where the turbo is most efficient!
A fuel pump and regulator is not engine management! You should heed Josh's advice and read posts in this forum and the Engine Management forum.

--
^ww^
"…axles of evil…" - George W. Bush

Quick Reply: Major Engine Problem!!!