Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Socialized medicine -or- Survival

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 10:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Question Socialized medicine -or- Survival

Interesting subject at hand here.

Cliffnotes: Financially stable man needs liver within 3 years or he'll die. He decides to take matters into his own hands in utilizing his wealth with two large billboards (billboards cost a LOT btw) that says, "I need a liver -- Please help save my life", along with contact information etc.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...s-liver15.html

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...organ_ads_dc_2

Question:

Was the man wrong in bypassing the donor waiting list which possibly killed one person, thus exemplifying the need for socialized medicine in the USA?

-OR-

Is this a great example of 'survival of the fittest' in a capitalism country?

Discuss...
Old 08-18-2004, 12:33 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
After reading both links, Todd did what any normal person(with the means) would do; whatever it takes to survive.
I don't think a Socialized medical system would have saved him.
Now, do poor people die because they can't "buy" their own organs?
Yes.
But, how many people that need organs have destroyed their bodies a la David Crosby, and get a new one?
I don't know.

I just hope no one here, even you Constellation, have to go through what Todd went through.

Paul
Old 08-18-2004, 12:42 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5 RS
I just hope no one here, even you Constellation, have to go through what Todd went through.
Oh, well thank you paul, now please wrap yourself in packing tape and throw yourself into a quarry.

But I have a news flash for you hotshot - I've already gone through this, in fact, over the 23 long years of my existence i have lost nearly every part of my body and instead of whining and crying or trying to buy my way into a new life, like you sissyboy republican loudmouths - i used my noodle - thats right, i used guts and smarts and i BUILT myself a new body out of air conditioning vents, a speak and spell, and my little sisters swingset.

If you dont believe me, here is a picture of me and my dad at thanksgiving.
Attached Thumbnails Socialized medicine -or- Survival-robus.jpg  
Old 08-18-2004, 01:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
dude is stupid, for far less then he is going to spend on those bill boards he could have flown to africa, hired some mercs, and kidnapped a bunch of people and tested them to make sure it they were good canidates. Then once one was found.. boom take his liver and leave him to die in a tub full of ice.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:01 PM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
I think he is a wise man for utilizing his money to something worthwhile. Would anyone of us have taken the other way out which would have probably meant death? No. I must admit, I think it is a creative way to scrape past death. As for the guy on the top of the waiting list, it pretty much just sucks to be him. Survival of the fittest hoss.