Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Dyno Comparison - Dynojet & DynoDynamics (Apples to Apples)

Old 12-09-2002, 09:19 PM

Lightbulb Dyno Comparison - Dynojet & DynoDynamics (Apples to Apples)

Hi Everyone,
I'm a curious person (just like the most of you), but I found it increasingly difficult to understand who's products makes how much power. But from all the posts and dyno plots, it seems that everyone had slightly different scenarios (so no apples-to-apples comparison). So I'd figure I'd try and help out our community by ponying up the $$$ and getting some real-world answers.

So what was the plan for the today? Let's take the exact same car and go to two different dynos to see the differences (keeping as many variables the same).

Who are the gineau pigs? ATP (Fremont, CA) using their in-ground Dynojet and Vishnu Performance Systems (Pleasanton, CA) using their DynoDynamics. They are approximately 20 miles from each other (25 minutes). And finally my car ... 2002 WRX (silver - its the fastest color) with 25,910 miles on it ... the mods are a full Vishnu Stage 2.

What was the test setup? Of course with my luck, the fan ATP used to cool the TMIC broke. Oh well, to be consistent NO fan was used to cool the TMIC at Vishnu's either. I've also seen some posts about the fans used to cool the radiators ... let me tell you that the one at Vishnu's was massively stronger that the one at ATP (so we pulled it a lot farther away that the one used at ATP). I don't think this makes too much of a difference, since the engine coolant temps stayed the same. For those **** people ... ATP was 60deg.F and Vishnu was 61deg.F and I don't think there is more than a 100' of elevation change. I did forget to measure the temperature of the intercoolers (but oh well). The car were driven to their each location, sat around for 20 minutes, driven onto the dyno, sat around for another 10 minutes and then first two runs were pulled and printed. That's all folks ... we don't want to make this more complicated that it needs to be.

The Results:
ATP (Dynojet) - 275.8whp and 232.2 torque
Vishnu (DynoDynamics) - 224.7whp and 192.2 torque

So depending on how you look at it ... Dynojet runs 22.74% higher than a DynoDynamic or DynoDynamic runs 18.53% lower than a Dynojet (with regards to whp). Check out these graphs ... (oops ... I can't figure out how to get multiple attachments with a single post)

Interesting observations ...
Setup on the Dynojet vs. DynoDynamics ... all I got to say is that it was a lot harder getting my car on the Dynojet ... first thing was that we didn't get the tracks pulled apart far enough until we rolled the car on to it (so we had to back off the car, stretch the dyno and put the car back on). The second thing, was that it was tough getting the car balanced on top of both rollers ... so about 20 minutes elapsed from getting into the garage to the first pull. The DynoDynamics was really simple ... drive car onto ramp and fall into the first set of rollers (in case you didn't know they have 8 rollers - two for each wheel) and use a simple control to slide the rear rollers into place, strap it down and you're ready to go (5-6 minutes tops). The other thing I noticed was that you had to bring the car to a complete stop on the Dynojet ... the DynoDynamics could run back-to-back pulls really quickly - you don't have to bring the car back to 1st gear.

The important thing I've learned is that when you want to know the differences between modifications, you need to have testing tools that repeatable (ie. stick to the same dyno and record the environments - so you have the same correction factors in play).

Conclusion
So what have I accomplished with all this ... nothing, my car still make the same power it did going to both dynos. So, I wanted to help put some of those concern people at ease ... I'm sure you're making the power you made (since you have dyno plots), just know there is a significant difference between dynos. All I'd like to see are vendors advertising the % differences they have measured (and world peace).

/getting off soap box/

Have a great and safe Christmas and New Years ...

Steve

In a couple of weeks, I'll hopefully have the reflashed ECUTEC ECU from Vishnu ... I'll run this test again on the Dynojet and DynoDynamics and and not shutdown the motor before dyno'ing (retaining what it has learned since startup) and post up the results.

Lastly, for those Vishnu Stage 2 customers who are concerned with my "low" results ... just a week ago I dyno'd 255.2whp on the DynoDynamics ... I didn't stick any correction factor (since that can vary between dynos), I just took the raw readings as is. (i'll attach the dyno plot on a different post if anyone is interested).
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Comparison - Dynojet & DynoDynamics (Apples to Apples)-small-dc-atp.jpg  
Old 12-09-2002, 09:19 PM

Vishnu Dyno Plot

Here's the Vishnu Dyno Plot ...
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Comparison - Dynojet & DynoDynamics (Apples to Apples)-small-dc-vishnu.jpg  
Old 12-09-2002, 09:20 PM

Here's the ECU Learning Dyno Plot (Vishnu)

Here's the ECU Learning Dyno Plot (Vishnu)

I'll call BS anytime someone says the stock ECU doesn't learn. I've got proof that car learns even between shutdown and startup and even larger differences between ECU resets. So I wished that more dyno places based their prices on rental-time vs. runs ... Check out this graph, NO ECU reset, only the difference between starting the car and the 11th pull ... this includes the first two pulls at Vishnu (graph posted above). Each pull gave me a little more power and of stablized by the last pull.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:23 PM

damn it ... here's the attachment ...
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Comparison - Dynojet & DynoDynamics (Apples to Apples)-small-ecu-learn-vishnu2.jpg  
Old 12-10-2002, 04:58 PM

Car Info: none
Great write up!!! Now go with me to Sears Point and run your car. It would be interesting to see how the auto vs man times are. I sould have some dyno numbers by then as well.

Russell
Old 12-10-2002, 06:55 PM

Hey Russ,
Yeah, I'll go ... as long as you teach me how to run the tree ... I don't mind looking like a fool, just not a TOTAL FOOL. When do my lessons start?

Steve
Old 12-13-2002, 09:01 AM

Car Info: none
Originally posted by CupertinoSteve
Hey Russ,
Yeah, I'll go ... as long as you teach me how to run the tree ... I don't mind looking like a fool, just not a TOTAL FOOL. When do my lessons start?

Steve
I'm planing on going 1-1-03. The date is on the schedule but I'm not sure of the time. I'll find out and post when I know for sure. I'm having Vishnu do the ECUTEC to mine on Weds, so I'll be anxious to go. I'll have the dyno #'s as well. It will be interesting to compare the VS2 manual and auto HP #'s.

Russell