Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Segregation's Back?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:11 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Segregation's Back?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060414/...maha_schools_5

Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
This happens de facto more often than it should. Wealthy public schools are more or less segregated to begin with, and urban, inner-city schools are but with a different demographic.

Amazing that they can actually codify something like this!!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:09 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by MVWRX
This is all about enforcing district boudaries and bussing, not some racially fueled KKK-hate legislation like some would have you believe.

I want my kids to get into Mission High school but I'm outside the district boundary... maybe I can scream racism and intolerance and call some white board members racists and bigots to get my kid in..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm think I'm onto something.

Is there really anyone still for bussing? Cummon now
Old 04-24-2006, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MOPAR Baby!! yeeaaaahhh
Segregate them and give them all equal money and assets and a year and see which one comes out on top.....
Old 04-24-2006, 10:49 AM

You all do know that the supreme court decided that seperate facilities are neccesarily and by definition NOT equall right? Maybe you all should think about the progress we've made and how much you'd love to revert us back to 100 years ago....
Old 04-24-2006, 12:41 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
You all do know that the supreme court decided that seperate facilities are neccesarily and by definition NOT equall right? Maybe you all should think about the progress we've made and how much you'd love to revert us back to 100 years ago....
Who wants to revert back to 100 yrs ago?

It's funny that when a "minority" wants segregation, it's gooooood.
But when Whitey wanted segregation, it's baaaaaad.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:43 PM

What minorities want segregation? Embracing a cultural identity is different than codified segregation.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by dub2w
What minorities want segregation? Embracing a cultural identity is different than codified segregation.
Riiiiiight, as long as it's not Whitey wanting to embrace his/her culture.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Who wants to revert back to 100 yrs ago?

What the f*** are you talking about man....
Old 04-24-2006, 01:44 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

What the f*** are you talking about man....
Maybe you all should think about the progress we've made and how much you'd love to revert us back to 100 years ago....
Again, who wants to revert back ~ 100yrs/ago?

I don't. You don't.
So....
Old 04-24-2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Furley
Segregate them and give them all equal money and assets and a year and see which one comes out on top.....

He does...

my post was very obviously stating that seperate is not equal, no matter what. That's what the supreme court decided and noone disagrees anymore...
Old 04-24-2006, 01:51 PM

I don't see that as funny, and in this case the white people are segregating and the minorities don't want it...so I don't see how this comment does anything but make you look like a right wing nut with a flame thrower.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:44 PM

I am not by any means comparing this issue to **** Germany, but think about it in that context. You had someone in power who riled up his base by preaching a similar gospel (that there nothing wrong with separating ethnicities).
Old 04-24-2006, 06:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Riiiiiight, as long as it's not Whitey wanting to embrace his/her culture.
Exactly.

When I have a kid I plan on putting them through private school. If you're a minority and can afford it, then I highly encourage you to do the same. If you can afford a house on the right side of the tracks then feel free to send your child to the same school as my child. I don't give a damn what color you are.

Something tells me the media spun into a race issue when it's really a matter of wanting what's best for everyone's children. I'm willing to bet these other two areas are slums and the fact they house a majority of a certain race is purely coincidental. What about the minority races living in these areas that aren't hispanic or black? Do we exclude their presence from the grand conspiracy? What about the minority of hispanics and blacks living in the predominately white area? They'd bus them to outside schools if it was truly segregated. Same thing would apply in this case... people shouldn't have to feel sorry for trying to protect their kids.

Let's face it, ghettos produce very few winners and a whole lot of loser rejects. What would you do? Would you pretend everything is hunky-dory by sending your kid to a school that could expose him to the wrong crowd later in life? Or would you try to set-up a district boundary to better your kid’s chances of meeting positive influences?

Same **** happened to me when I was living in the projects off Freeport. I went to elementary school in south sac and made great friends/memories. My mom started to make more money so we eventually moved to the outskirts of Laguna/South Sac, the very edge of the same school district. I still attended the same school because my mother knew I had close friends. She eventually enrolled me in an elementary school in Elk Grove even-though we weren't in the district (she used my Grandparent's address for my records). It was the worst experience of my young-adult life. I hated my mom for a good year but now I praise her for the decision she made. Of my three closest friends from elementary school 1 is dead from gang related activity in Ohio and one is in jail. The other is a ****ing loser dropout.

Last edited by Salty; 04-24-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally Posted by Mr. Furley
Exactly.
Supporters said the plan would give minorities control over their own school board and ensure that their children are not shortchanged in favor of white youngsters.
There's a huge difference between a situation where a country whose history is largely marked by emasculating whole races and then those races struggling in earnest to get to where we are today, versus starting with the current status quo and initiating policy that will 'fine tune' that status quo (with regards to equality) and emplacing measures that will directly address all of the suble folds of bias.

However, I can't defend the gerrymandering allegation. It could be the usual political manipulation, or it could actually be a revolutionary salve. Only time will tell (that is if the Supreme Court doesn't meddle too much.)

Quick Reply: Segregation's Back?