Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

T/B coolant bypass??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 06:52 AM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
i have heard of this but in winter the TB with freeze and stop moving but in summer this is a good idea and yes there are some plp on this board that have tried this but dont knot if they had the same problem
Old 02-28-2004, 07:55 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Rather than bypassing I was considering just installing a small ball valve to shut off the flow. I have this diagram and it seems that will work fine. This way you can turn it on and off at will:

Old 02-28-2004, 10:19 AM

I think in cold weather it will help warm up the car quicker but you are right chances are it won't hurt to keep it bypassed. I'm sure they make small ball valves though out of metal. I'm going to look into it this week. I'm a little concerned about the bypass being less restrictive and causing less flow to the other areas since it won't have the TB to slow it down anymore.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:44 AM

Car Info: '02 OBS '03 Baja
Oh yeah, plenty of small, brass ball valves out there. Female threads in/out. Nibco, Apollo, many brand names. Go to the local hardware store and get one (3/8th Inch ?) and the associated threaded pipe, then just hose clamp the collant hose onto the pipe. You can even get barbed/ribbed pipe with threads on one end I believe. Brian
Old 02-28-2004, 10:59 AM

My dad having been a master plumber I'm very familar with Apollo brand. I want to look in the McMaster catalog though for an all SS version. I may be able to "find" one at work too in the shop
Old 02-28-2004, 04:14 PM

The coolant will take the path of least resistance. If TB affords some resistance to flow relative to a straight pipe, which I'm guessing it does, you may not have as much going to say #5 (heater core) or the radiator by looks of the diagram, as more than normal coolant goes through the bypass and back to the pump. But blocking it off would send more to those.

Last edited by Peaty; 02-28-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:04 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Rallysportz
Just curious- why/how would less restriction is the overall coolant system cause less flow or cooling abilities to other areas? I would think it would be better for the rest of the system in the long run since it would circulate faster (more full fluid cycles)...
Unlike the Walbro fuel pump for upgraded horsepower situations, there isn't much of a market for replacement water pumps. The reason is that while a high-volume water pump could be designed, the factory unit appears to be satisfactory for any street application.

Coolant must remain in the radiator long enough to dissipate the heat to the air drawn through the radiator core by the fans or vehicle motion. If some sort of high-flow, high-volume water pump were used, the engine would actually run at a higher operating temperature if the coolant could not shed engine heat to the ambient air.

Small changes to flow such as a throttle body bypass probably wouldn't have any detrimental effects.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-29-2004, 07:18 AM

I've got stuff apart today because I'm cleaning my Green Filter, I like to take the whole airbox out and clean it. I need to take a closer look at where exactly the coolant enters the TB, I took a quick peek yesterday and didn't see it. I hope it's not too hidden.

Quick Reply: T/B coolant bypass??