Yay for car profiling, first experience with hood popping and pissy cops.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
Angry Yay for car profiling, first experience with hood popping and pissy cops.

Last night, the Davis crew had a meet behind the theater at UC Davis, in an empty parking lot away from any cars or people or traffic. There were about 10-15 of us, maybe more, I don't remember, with like 10 or so cars. We were just chilling in the cold night talking about cars and shooting the breeze when a patrol car came around and parked near us. Two cops came out with a smile and cracked a joke as some of us were crowded around a member's car to check out his engine bay. The police officer, which I thought would have been nice, started using his flashlight to look at all the parts and went behind to look at his exhaust. The police officer radios in for backup and before we know it 2 more patrol cars was here. The main cop apparently went to some training so he knew SOME of the parts but of course did not get everything right. There were two cars with their hoods popped up and they looked for the usual. intake and exhaust. They asked for the driver's license and registration. When the police officer asked for a member's license, he asked the police why? and what for? The cop thought he was giving him attitude so he detained him, put him in cuffs and sent him to the back of his squad car, treating him like a criminal. The cop was so quick to cuff him it was like he was looking for an excuse to do it. The cop then went to EVERYONE's car, and went "whose car is this? Let’s have a talk" and pointed out all the illegal mods. The other cops were cool and just chilled and we talked to some of them. There was one cop who was a little too eager to get us. The cops kept saying "so you guys are going to race?" "Are you guys street racers? Here to race? Where's the NOS? blah blah...." After that, he told us that all our mods are illegal and to take them off. We were all pretty cooperative and popped our hoods when asked because he mentioned that he wasn't going to give anyone a ticket if we comply. I think it would have gotten ugly if we did not pop our hoods, even though it's our right that we can refuse, but of course they have probable cause. The main guy, even though he was pretty touchy and sensitive, and came off with an attitude, he was generally nice by not issuing one single ticket or towing any of our cars. Even though the police did let us go, he treated us like we were street racers from the start, what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? They already had a mind set that we street raced even though NONE of us did. modified cars =/ street racing. Is that concept so hard to understand?

Now my thoughts...
I really want to whine and ***** and rant about this whole event but looking at it from the other side...we got off easy. We did have illegal mods. He could have towed all our cars and sent us to the state referree, which he kept mentioning but he didn't. And that was very nice of him. I think police officers feel that they don't like wasting time having to do this, going to training class, but it is their job. They are serving and protecting the innocent bystanders who die because of street racing. It's the law and no matter how stupid it is, we have to follow it. I was pretty naive of how bad this car modifying crack down is but now I know. What pisses me off is the profiling. Yes we have modded cars but that doesn't mean we street race. The population of car enthusiast consists of many people who are against street racing, but we are grouped together with them. I-Club does a great job of advocating racing at the track/autox and to frown upon street racing. I-Club use to be a lot stricter about street racing posts, but it has relaxed. But members here are not streetracers, I met a guy on here at the Bubbles meet, I forget his name, he has a red wagon, that even gave us a little talk about not street racing to another member which I think is great. JUST because a car is modified DOES NOT mean we street race. I know some people have used the analogy of profile blacks. A cop will get owned if he stops a black man thinking he was a thief or criminal, but that sort of thing happened. Profiling is such a big problem and very unfair and unjust. It's understandable to an extent because there are more stupid street racing punks than none street racers. It's them, the guys who race to look cool or have a big ego that is ruining the love of racing for the true enthusiasts. I personally knew a few guys there and NONE of them street race. It sucks that our cars are illegal on the road. We love cars, but we can't afford a daily driver AND a race car. We can't trailer our car to every event. That means we would have to get a truck, a trailer, and a daily driver. That would cost too much money.

To the cops and the law makers...there is no way to stop car enthusiasts from modifying their cars. They can give out as many tickets as they like but the love of cars will always be there. In my opinion, to stop street racing, the state should put money into programs that promote safe racing environments by advertising against street racing and opening more autox/tracks instead of putting money into faster patrol cars to catch street racers or training programs. In Japan, where racing is a huge hobby, the cops still hassle street racers (so I heard), but the safe environment racing opportunity is so much bigger. There is no way to change the minds of law makers or the state or the police without having events that bring cops and car enthusiasts together. (Something I learned in Psych 1 about racism) Many of us do not have the power to change the law because we are mostly younger guys and some older guys. Of course the aftermarket companies know about the problem and they are trying to help us by making parts CARB legal and what not, but that’s about all they can do. If someone can change the sound decibel limit that would be one giant step for us. Online petitions and letters to the state official seem useless.

The experience was interesting for me, and I appreciate the police letting all of us go with just a warning. What would have been even better was if he just let us chill and talked to us and learn a thing to two about the car modifying world. I really am not complaining about what happened, we were loitering and we were breaking laws. Still it leaves a sour taste.

I hate thinking that laws are so set in stone that anyone who tries to fight it will get put down or harassed. There should be people who should question questionable laws because if we do not question or voice out against authority, then pretty soon we will live under a dictatorship.

*notes - I have a feeling someone is going to disagree and argue since this IS I-club, so I just want to address that I am taking both sides even though true unbiased posts can't really be done just like true news reporting isn't that possible. Hopefully I don't offend anyone or make anyone angry. BTW arguing on this forum isn't going to help the cause...so put energy into writing a letter to someone who cares. I have a feeling some older guys are going to chime in about not modifying our cars.

Sorry for the long post, just had to get it out. - Did not notice I wrote like an essay, I apologize, just read the first paragraph. Feel free to add any comments or questions.

For the guys who were there, please fix any details that are wrong and add your own experience.

Pics to come from Jack (jvick)

Last edited by BoxerRumble; 01-11-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 AM

The reason I posted this in the Bay Area forum was just to let you guys know what went down. Most of the Sac guys read the meetings forum over there. As Naresh stated also..Kartlon asked the cop what the actual law was, but the cop again was a dick and said "What do I look like a ****ing engineer" when Karlton asked about the decible limit. It's great that the cop doesn't know the actual law, even though there is a decible limit we can follow at a certain distance and certain RPM.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by SkylineR35GTRx
They asked for the driver's license and registration. When the police officer asked for a member's license, he asked the police why? and what for? The cop thought he was giving him attitude so he detained him, put him in cuffs and sent him to the back of his squad car, treating him like a criminal. The cop was so quick to cuff him it was like he was looking for an excuse to do it.

The cop did EXACTLY the right thing here. The supreme court has found (the ruling was recent, only like 2 years ago or so) that you do NOT have to right to withhold your ID from a LEO.

Your friend should have just handed over the ID. Your friend chose to question a lawful order, and as such was detained. Many of the LEOs I know would have arrested him for that stupidty. Your friend deserved what he got, and got off lucky with just being cuffed.

As far as 'profiling' based on the car. Yeah, that sucks. Its another form of pay-to-play....dont want to get hassled? Show up to the meet in your buddies Camry. Dont want to ever get profiled as a street racing? Drive your own Camry.

Last edited by mcowger; 01-11-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
cliff's Yolo County COPS SUCK! Davis is the worst for bs like this. I lived there for a few years and h8 that town because of the DPD.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
I was there. I had my hood popped, and they saw it. Took a look at my ID and registration, then lectured me about how my car is prepped to street race.... all 137 crank hp and a 4EAT.

Guilty of street racing until proven innocent.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mcowger
The cop did EXACTLY the right thing here. The supreme court has found (the ruling was recent, only like 2 years ago or so) that you do NOT have to right to withhold your ID from a LEO.

Your friend should have just handed over the ID. Your friend chose to question a lawful order, and as such was detained. Many of the LEOs I know would have arrested him for that stupidty. Your friend deserved what he got, and got off lucky with just being cuffed.

As far as 'profiling' based on the car. Yeah, that sucks. Its another form of pay-to-play....dont want to get hassled? Show up to the meet in your buddies Camry. Dont want to ever get profiled as a street racing? Drive your own Camry.

Yes I know, just like what happened to the UCLA stupdent, the cop had every right to taze him too I bet becaues he was withholding ID because he was a criminal . But really, I know you are right but it was pretty freaking obvious that he wasn't a damn criminal, why treat your fellow human being like something less. Because they are above us?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:38 AM

Car Info: .