Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

v7 JDM Drivetrain swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 03:18 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
v7 JDM Drivetrain swap

I've been working on my car on and off for the last two weeks (most of the time I've been in Tahoe hitting up the slopes though, I love winter ) Been doing all the work myself and so far it's coming along really well. I thought I would post up some pictures of the progress for those interested.

Car is an 03 WRX that had pretty extensive mods done on the stock motor, tranny, and clutch.

The car

Engine bay before starting the swap.

After the first day of working. Spent about 2 hours getting the basic parts out of the engine. After that I let the car sit for about 5 days while I was up in Tahoe Skiing

Parts that were removed the first day

Lots of space to work in a 4 car garage

After getting back from Tahoe all the parts arrived at my work. Here are some of the parts after getting them back to my house

JDM v7 Motor. Also R180 rear diff, sti axles, and rear brembos are pictured off to the side

JDM v7 suretrac 6 speed. (stock 6 speed clutch/flywheel pictured but will be replaced w/ an Exedy Twin Plate)

After some more work the motor is about to come out

Last edited by dan avoN7; 01-01-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:19 PM

I didnt have an engine hoist yet so I went to work on the rear end. I didn't really get many pictures and I still need to finish up some very minor work back there. I don't have snap rings for the rear axles so I need to wait for them to come in to the Subaru dealer. I bolted most of it all up though, w00t for rear brembos

The other day I picked up an engine hoist from a friend and started to get the motor/transmission out. This swap has been super easy so far, you can do it all by yourself. Motor and transmission came out without any hitches. Putting the jdm motor w/ 6 speed back in I will get a friend to help though as the trans is much larger.

And this is where the car stands now. Empty engine bay.

I am going to continue doing little things today and get ready for the new motor to go back in. Will be picking up an Exedy Twin Plate clutch from Krinkov on tuesday and then will start putting all the new parts back in the car.

The transmission came with the stock 6 speed clutch/flywheel assembly. I was going to go with this setup until Krinkov posted his exedy twin plate for sale, super cheap so I couldn't pass up the deal

I was told by a few shops that I could use the stock 5 speed clutch fork with the 6 speed. after reading a few threads I saw that this was not true and that I need to get a 6 speed clutch fork. Stephen@IA has awesome customer service and shipped me one for free so I could finish up the swap. While waiting for the fork to come I finished up the motor. Mounted the intake manifold, injectors, fuel rails, and all wiring. Also put the exedy twin plate on the motor

Last edited by dan avoN7; 01-24-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:19 PM

The clutch fork arrived on tuesday so i got that and a new throw out bearing put on the transmission. Then it was time to get the transmission mated to the motor. This part was a little tricky to do by myself but with the engine hoist and jack i was able to get them together.

Here is another shot of the motor/tranny about to go in the car

Now it was time to get the motor/tranny in the car. I was going to have a friend come and help guide it all in but he flaked on me big time. I didn't feel like waiting till the next day so I went ahead and put it in by myself. Here is the motor/tranny about to go in

The 6 speed is huge compared to the 5 speed. Having an engine balance piece on the engine hoist did help alot. I was able to change the angle of the motor while getting it in the car. Also it helps if you keep the clutch slave cylinder off the transmission as that will give you some more room when lowering it all in.

It didn't go in as easy as the stock motor/tranny came out but it did go in Transmission is all bolted up to the crossmembers under the car and everything is lined up. Also the radiator looks awesome now that I removed the AC

Another shot of the engine bay. Turbo isnt bolted up but I just put it there to take this picture. It's pretty big

I'm done for the day. After work i'm heading up to Davis to visit some friends and party so I won't be finishing the car up until saturday. Should have it all done by Sunday and then it will have to sit until thursday as the Hydra EMS won't arrive until then.

Last edited by dan avoN7; 01-24-2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:21 PM

After some more work on the engine I was pretty much done.

Hydra EMS Packaging

Hydra EMS and all the little parts that come with it

Finished shot of the car from the back. Finally have brembos in the rear to match the front

And a finished shot of the engine bay. Still need to make a 4 inch intake for street use. Driving the car with no intake sounds awesome though

The car is pretty much done. It fired up on the first try this weekend and runs pretty smooth for having a base map loaded on it. I am going to get the idle a little smoother on thursday with the help of Phil from Element Tuning. Then thursday evening will meet up with a friend who knows the Hydra pretty well and get some road tuning done at just partial throttle so I can drive the car until i get it dyno tuned.

Last edited by dan avoN7; 01-25-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
daym Davon, i cant wait to see your car when its all finished.

-Ave
Old 01-01-2006, 04:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
mad props for doing this on your own... i mean people tell me i have big ***** but i still would sissy out of doing something like that on my own haha

+ i have such bad luck that if i attempted something like that everything in the world would go wrong

good luck and dibs on a ride
Old 01-02-2006, 02:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Lookin good man, hope the install goes smoothly. You and Aaron are gonna be twins! Still planning on keeping the FMIC with the swap? I wish my RS conversion was as easy as what you're doing, otherwise I would have done mine at my house too. GL with everything.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: a few WRX's and a Z ;)
yea still going to use the FMIC as the turbo kit i'm running can't use a TMIC. Hah yea if I had to mess with the wiring (besides the avcs) there is no way I would do the swap myself. This is an easy plug and play swap so I'm happy

-Dan
Old 01-02-2006, 06:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subie
Looks good, good luck with the work to come.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Forgot to ask, are you planning on getting it tuned for different octane levels? Like one for 91 and another for a higher grade.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: a few WRX's and a Z ;)
Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
Forgot to ask, are you planning on getting it tuned for different octane levels? Like one for 91 and another for a higher grade.
yep. old setup was only tuned on 91 since the stock clutch wouldn;t hold anymore power. Will do 91, 104, and c16. I am getting a 55 gallon drum of 104 which i will run straight until it runs out I want to enjoy the setup for the first month before i go back to 91

-Dan
Old 01-04-2006, 01:07 PM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
dude dan, awesome awesome project...joe must be paying you well lol and 4 garages...dang....
Old 01-04-2006, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by DanyoCantDrift
dude dan, awesome awesome project...joe must be paying you well lol and 4 garages...dang....
you should see what those 4 garages are connected to

when i was driving around the hood with zoeb i saw this house and wasy like DAYAM! CHECK THIS HOUSE OUT, zoeb goes... thats where devon lives haha

devon ever take up that offer from mtv cribs?

Last edited by zumnwrx; 01-04-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:07 PM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
Originally Posted by zumnwrx
you should see what those 4 garages are connected to

when i was driving around the hood with zoeb i saw this house and wasy like DAYAM! CHECK THIS HOUSE OUT, zoeb goes... thats where devon lives haha

devon ever take up that offer from mtv cribs?
are we talking like >8k sq.feet house, cuz dude if you have 4 garages you must have a huge house!!! you bastard dan!!! jk...where do you live blackhawk??
Old 01-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Nice davon. Hope you get that car back on the road soon.

So did DPT open up shop again?

Quick Reply: v7 JDM Drivetrain swap