Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Cobb Tuning's initial test data and driving impressions for the 2006 Subaru WRX MT…

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:25 PM

Cobb Tuning's initial test data and driving impressions for the 2006 Subaru WRX MT…

This post it intended to keep the concerned parties informed of some of our initial test results and to give you my driving impressions of the 2006 WRX MT. Take into account that I am not a professional car reviewer. I have not had sufficient time to review any other aspects of the vehicle other than the motor and how it has been tuned. So I will not be able to review or show pictures of the interior, exterior, suspension, etc. PLEASE TAKE INTO ACCOUNT that our dyno is different than other dynos, so comparing our test results to other companies’ 2006 WRX MT test results will not do much good.

I wanted to show you some data that we have recorded on the 2006 Subaru WRX MT. This motor in this vehicle has been compared to the Forester XT so I wanted to first show you the power difference we recorded between the two:

You can see the WRX is making more power across the RPM range which could suggest a different combination of motor hardware, i.e. turbo, heads, cams, static motor compression, etc. or a more aggressive tune. My guess is that the turbo is slightly larger than the one on the Forester XT. Although, this is just a guess…we have not had sufficient time to remove, measure, and compare those parts to verify our guesses. Please don’t get on my case if I am wrong, just giving you my perspective. I believe this to be so because the boost targets are similar for both vehicles, although the WRX makes more power across the entire RPM range and appears to have the ability to hold boost easier at higher RPM.

The fuel curve has more of a taper to it than the stock FXT fuel curve. The FXT fuel curve is close to linear, flat, once it comes out of closed-loop. This vehicle is leaner at lower RPM then richens up as RPM increases. You can also clearly see the closed-loop to open-loop delay. This vehicle had generated approximately 8 lbs. of boost by 3000 RPM where it was still running in CL at a 14.5-14.7 A/F ratio. I could feel this while driving on the street. Below 3000 RPM the vehicle feels like it has turbo lag and it also feels inconsistent. Torque tended to move more below 3000 RPM on the dyno as well. I could feel the car stumble trying to burn that lean on the dyno and on the street. At 3000 RPM the vehicle picks up then takes off at 3500 RPM. This car is deceptively fast. From 3500 RPM on the car drove smooth and accelerated quickly. I drive a 2005 LGT MT most of the time and the WRX felt as if it was going through the gears just as quick but w/o the 3.9 final drive. From the research we were able to complete, it appears that the ’06 WRX has a 3.70 final drive, yet it felt like it accelerated at similar rates as the mildly tuned LGT.

Below is a list of maps we are currently developing and testing…
Stage1 91 MTv100, intended for stock vehicles running 49-state 91 or 92 octane.
Stage1 93 MTv100, intended for stock vehicles running 93 or 94 octane.
Stage1 CA91 MTv100, intended for stock vehicles running CA-state 91 octane.
Stage2 91 MTv100, intended for vehicles that have a turbo-back exhaust system installed running 49-state 91 or 92 octane.
Stage2 93 MTv100, intended for vehicles that have a turbo-back exhaust system installed running 93 or 94 octane.
Stage2 CA91 MTv100, intended for vehicles that have a turbo-back exhaust system installed running CA-state 91 octane.
Stock Mode MTv100, intended for stock vehicles running 49-state 91 or 92 octane.
Economy Mode MTv100
Anti-Theft MTv100, will not allow vehicle to start.
Valet Mode MTv100, will have a soft rev limiter of 3200 RPM.
STU MTv100, developed within the SCCA rules, intended for vehicles competing in SCCA running 49-state 91 octane.
STU GT100 MTv100, developed within the SCCA rules, intended for vehicles competing in SCCA running Sunoco GT100, street legal 100 octane.

Constructive comments on the planned map development is appreciated. I do not have an exact ETA for the ’06 WRX MT or AT AccessPORTs, but I believe we are getting ready to release them at the end of November. The StreetTUNER software should be available shortly after that. No promises, just giving you a heads up.

Take care,
Christian.
Attached Thumbnails -fxt.mt.base.vs.06wrxmt.base.png   -2006wrx.mtwithaf.png  

Last edited by Wingless Wonder; 05-08-2007 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Image size exceeds maximum limit. Convert .bmp to lossless .png and re-attach
Old 10-12-2005, 12:46 AM

Car Info: '07 G35s/'95 Supra "Da Beast"
How about for the 06 STI? Is everything the same as the previous years STI? Would like to pick up an AP but want to make sure it will work.

Dave
Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
Originally Posted by Christian.
Constructive comments on the planned map development is appreciated. I do not have an exact ETA for the ’06 WRX MT or AT AccessPORTs, but I believe we are getting ready to release them at the end of November. The StreetTUNER software should be available shortly after that. No promises, just giving you a heads up.
saving my pennies for whenever that day comes
Old 10-12-2005, 04:23 PM

Here comes my thrashing...

My guess is that the turbo is slightly larger than the one on the Forester XT. Take care, Christian.
Well, my guess was wrong. I will be the first to admit it. Now that we have had some more time with this vehicle on the dyno and the street, I am confident saying that the stock 2006 WRX turbo is very similar in size to that of the Forester XT, if not the same size. I say this for several reasons:
1) I could not get torque to hold flat like we normally can on vehicles with sufficient turbos for the VE of the motor, i.e. 2002 WRX, STis.
2) I added 30% of Wastegate Duty Cycle from 4,000 to 6,000 RPM and was only able to muster .2 more psi of relative pressure. This turbo just cannot breath…it is out of air.
3) IAT, measured after the turbo, would significantly jump whenever I tried to raise boost in the higher RPM ranges. Whenever you run turbos out of their efficiency range they turn into flame throwers.
4) Never guess, always complete sufficient R&D before you draw conclusions or even “guess” like I did.

I would also like to let the STi owners relax. The WRX turbo is a smaller turbo. This vehicle is tuned very close to the max from the factory, boost wise at higher RPM. I am confident saying this vehicle will not be able to keep up with the STi. This STi is a technically superior vehicle in many rights.

Here are some initial dyno results from the ECU modifications on an otherwise 100% stock 2006 Subaru WRX MT vs. the stock WRX:

I know this is going to unleash a whole bunch of criticism on me, “no more peak power?!?!”, bla, bla, bla, I have never been a fan of peak quantity of tunes, I more appreciate the quality of a tune. This is what the dyno recorded and they tend to tell the truth. My hopes are that people are able to handle these results. These are initial results…we are not done yet. Please remember that this is through the stock exhaust system as well. I spent extensive time modifying CL/OL, Fuel, Ignition, Dynamic Advance, Boost, & AVCS tables to get these results and to produce a consistent torque curve. Trying to get this vehicle to make any more power in the higher RPM ranges is going to be more than difficult when using the stock turbo. I have mechanical sympathy…I did not want to push the Stage1 set-up much further than stock. I do not want to try and run the turbo beyond its efficiency range just so I can prove I am the dyno champion. We want to make these maps better as well as safe. Please give me some more time so I can follow up on the various Stage2 tests some time next week.

Here is a look at the new fuel curve:

Notice how the CL/OL delay has been eliminated and the peaky torque is no more. The vehicle drives much smoother. We spent extensive time smoothing out the ignition curve to get rid of the initial on throttle and lower RPM jerkiness. We were also able to gain a great area (under the curve) of torque from 2,400 to 5,200 RPM. This also allows for a smoother acceleration and driving experience. The stock 2006 WRX MT drivers should be happy.

We spent time developing and testing maps that would allow higher octane fuels the ability to make more power as well as protecting vehicles from lesser quality fuels. We should be publishing these maps on our web site and supplying them with the 2006 WRX MT AccessPORTs when the ports and maps are finished.

I hope this helps shed some light on the 2006 WRX MTs.

Take care,
Christian.
Attached Thumbnails -06wrxmt-stage1-initial-vs-stock.bmp   -06wrxmt-stage1-initial-af.bmp  
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 2006 Lotus Elise
Do you plan on testing/releasing a map for a bigger turbo? Say VF34?
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:25 PM

Absolutely, although my experiences with the VF34 on a 2.5L have been unproductive. They tend to fall on their face as well. We just need to see what the 2006 WRX drivers are going to want. I am open to ideas...I will pay attention to this thread to see what comes up.

Take care,
Christian.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:11 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX, 5MT, WR Blue
Talking

Absolutely, although my experiences with the VF34 on a 2.5L have been unproductive. They tend to fall on their face as well. We just need to see what the 2006 WRX drivers are going to want. I am open to ideas...I will pay attention to this thread to see what comes up.

Take care,
Christian.
I'm sure we'd all love to see a real turbo in a cobbs kit. Obviously a stock position turbo will be the easiest bolt-on, so superzilla sz55, or a 20g, or an fpgreen. Hopefully the cobbs TMIC will be done soon. Combined with a turboback, AP, injectors, fuel pump it would a huge upgrade. Probably make depending on the turbo close to 350-400whp.

BTW, I'd love to see the staged brake upgrades available for the 06 wrx. Though I suspect the stage 1 would probably fit now without any modifications.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:26 PM

I wanted to update you with our progress…

Here are some initial results from the Stage2 testing as well as a comparison of our Stage1 vs. our Stage2 mapping.

As you can see the lower RPM torque improvements are substantial. The low RPM drivability is much better as well. Torque still drops with RPM because the stock turbo cannot keep up with the breathing ability of this motor. This brings me to my next point and allows me to give you some good news. We are developing and will be testing different turbo combinations for this vehicle over the next few months. I will keep you updated with our progress.
Something to note, IMO we will not be able to make peak torque at as low of an RPM as we have with the stock turbo configuration. This does not mean that we cannot make more torque for that RPM with an upgraded turbo, just that the laws of physics will not allow peak torque at that low of an RPM and still allow the turbo to flow like a large ball-bearing turbo in the upper RPM range. I am thinking along the lines of power between 3500 RPM to redline with similar spool characteristics as the STi’s VF39 turbo. Please post your responses and requests for turbo upgrades for the 2006 WRX.

Take care,
Christian.
Attached Thumbnails -06wrxmt-stage2-initial-vs-stock.bmp   -06wrxmt-stage1-initial-vs-stage2-initial.bmp  
Old 10-22-2005, 08:02 AM

This looks pretty good. When do you plan on having the stage2 released?
Thanks.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 AM

Car Info: black 02 SRX wagon
Definition of Stage 2?

Christian:

For the impressive results your just posted on 06 Stage 2, what mods are included (turbo back?).

I have a 06 WRX MT wagon I wasn't going to mod but ...
Old 10-25-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by c0neHead
This looks pretty good. When do you plan on having the stage2 released?
Thanks.
We are planning to realease the '06 AccessPORTs before SEMA, first of this November.

To use the Stage2 mapping you will need to install a turbo-back exhaust system. We already have a system that works with the 2006 WRX.

Take care,
Christian.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:16 PM

We are planning to realease the '06 AccessPORTs before SEMA, first of this November.

To use the Stage2 mapping you will need to install a turbo-back exhaust system. We already have a system that works with the 2006 WRX.

Take care,
Christian.
According to your website the TBE is the same between 05 and 06. Is that correct?
Old 10-25-2005, 02:02 PM

The stock exhaust systems are different for those vehicles, but our turbo-back exhaust systems will fit both vehicles. So yes, the Cobb Tuning TBE exhaust for the '05 WRX will be the same as and will fit the '06 WRX.

Christian.

Last edited by Christian.; 10-25-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:54 PM

Christian do you have any idea on what the cost of a stage 2 system will be for this car? and will this be ready in november?
and thanks for updating us on this topic i can't stop checking the thread out.

Last edited by Dodiox; 10-25-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:25 PM

Car Info: 2002 silver WRX
honestly....coming from a former COBB AP user, and eventually going back to the AP...

How do you guys create maps for CA 91 octane when you live in Utah? Do you ship in fuel and empty the gas tank....then pour in the CA 91 and start tuning? Maybe you guys should come out to CA and tune some cars and make some basemaps on OUR 91 ocatne gas. AND/OR set up a protuner dyno day....

just a thought

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning's initial test data and driving impressions for the 2006 Subaru WRX MT…