Want to rally, but where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 11:31 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
take a class, too bad there isn't one around here. I wouldn't choose a Z car because they are rear wheel drive and are harder to drive in loose surface. How about a Mazda 323 w/ AWD.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:21 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
try starting out with Rally-X, it's like Auto-X, but on dirt. you don't really need any modifications to do it, and can run pretty much whatever car you'd like (within reason). in terms of cars, RWD is going to be harder to control than a FWD or AWD car. older Subarus, Audis and such often make pretty good Rally-X rides, and from there you could decide what sort of direction you wanted to head in.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:27 AM

oh, you could also go with an AWD car like an Eagle Talon, or some other dodge/mitsubishi designed car. i'm guessing you'd have a better chance of finding one of these for sale cheaply and in relatively good condition than you would an Audi or Subaru.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:30 PM

Well it all depends on your budget. Most people start with a simple cheap car and then move up to AWD. The 510's are very popular, but hard to find body parts for them.

We did a KA24(240SX motor) transplant into a 210 as our first rally car...and boy was it fun.

Datsun=Lego....many parts are interchangeable!

www.specialstage.com is a rally forum and they have a California section where you can ask the locals about things.

Plenty of good info on there and buying an already built rally car is much easier than doing it yourself....let me tell you!

If you need any more information...pm..I know a few Cal people I can hook you up with for more information.

Tina
Old 06-06-2003, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
rallycross is an excellent way to start building your dirt driving skills.

As far as your first rally car, buy somebody's used vw golf or something. What you want in your first car is something slow and strong. Your first year out you won't win (since there's so much more to winning rallies than just driving fast), so get a car that's not too expensive and slow enough that it'll keep you from killing yourself.

The SF Region forum on SpecialStage is a good place to contact the local rallyists, and I'm usually at the Union City Krispy Kreme tuesday night meets. You can't miss my car, it's the blue subaru!
Old 06-12-2003, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 2.5RS
where in Nor Cal you from? I am going to use my Impreza RS to do rally crosses and the such.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:19 PM

I have a '95 Impreza, awd This would be a decient rally car, correct??
the cheapest starter race car is the one you already own. i think you'd be just fine starting with a '95 AWD impreza.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
in terms of cars, RWD is going to be harder to control than a FWD or AWD car.
Just wondering what kind of rally experiance you have?

RWD is one of the best ways to learn how to rally.

two of my friends are running RWD for the current rally cars.

One is a 1977 Dodge colt with a 2.6L in it.

secound is a 1984 RX7

great cars, RWD offers you tons of oversteer which is something you want for rally.

nothing like my secound rally, where i was co-driving entered this water splash and understeered right off the road. this was in a Dodge Neon set-up for production class.

My sugestion is get a car you are going to love.

other wise you may not like the sport as much.

My car is a 1995 Subaru Impreza. the reason i got it is becouse i love subaru's and i'm a subaru mechanic so all i work on is Subaru's i can get stock and aftermarket stuff cheaper and i know tons about the cars. Plus Subaru's are Lego's.

My car is going to morph into a 2.5rs Open class car.

I wont win but putting a very torquey motor in, doing anything i want to the car will make it handel great and teach me what driving a fast car is like but slow.

you got to walk before you run. or else you will hit something.

Erik S.
finelinemotorsports.com
Old 06-17-2003, 12:10 AM

Car Info: 2.5RS
I'm in Sac.

Quick Reply: Want to rally, but where to start?