Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Advan rims and tires ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 11:01 PM

Car Info: white/gold sti
Exclamation Advan rims and tires ??

Hey all I'm pretty positive that I will now be running the advan model t7 in 18x8 my question about these rims is does any know the weight? Right now I'm having a toss-up between those rims and the prodrive gc06's b/c of the weight and durability. As far as that is concerned my last question is are Falken Azenis Sports R compound? I couldn't find anything on their website that suggested that except the azenis sport is referred to as the RT215 and I'm assuming the r suggests r compound.. correct me if I am wrong please! My other tire toss up is the Advan Sport Tire which I suppose is not R compound (they too did not mention compound) but did mention that they used a "special" type of rubber and silicone to make a very good street, track, "super car" tire. I am definitely open to other Advan tires there site just is limited.. lemme know your opinions but personally I like the falkens and Advans so I would like to run those...
Thanks and Peace!

Last edited by dubRexer; 03-10-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:31 AM

Car Info: 04 WRB STi
IMHO, there is no need to be so concerned about the weight of your wheels unless you are time trialing your car or competatively racing your car. In other words, I don't know the weights . But seriously, 1 pound on the wheel is equivalent to 5 pounds on the car so if you have 2 pounds in wheel weight difference at all 4 corners, you have a difference of 20 pounds which is like 2.5 gallons of fluid: not a whole lot of weight. There are easier ways to lose the weight.... Since they are both gorgeous wheels that are very strong and excellent quality, I would go with the ones that look better to me.

The Falken Azenis RT215 are not R compound rubber but they are damn close. The Advan Neova AD07s are also not R compound but once again, they are damn close. Between the the two tires, the Azenis will have better dry grip and will wear faster while the AD07s will have better wet grip and will wear more slowly. The Falkens are cheap so I would go with those. Both are awesome tires!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Talking i know, i know...

i know this has been debated a bunch here on i-club but for my sake i rather debate different brands
what would you guys recommend for the all around 'best' track/ daily driver/ dry and wet tire? I know it's impossible to really get a tire that covers that broad of an 'area' but what does the best wet and dry for track and daily driving? r compound? i've already contemplated azenis sports and advan neovas etc... help!
peace.
ps - looking to not go with bridgestone, nitto, pirelli, kuhmo..
Old 03-16-2005, 12:08 AM

toyo's

what do you guys think about running the toyo ra1's as a daily street and drag tire?
how do they last for just daily street use? i hear they should be the 'most durable' r compound tire righ tnow..
thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 WRX, '97 Forester S/Tb, '95 WRX-RA
I asked the same question to a guy at a tuning shop over here and he said to go with the Azenis ST-115's, so I did. I have heard nothing but good about these tires for wet (it rains a lot here, so this was very important to me) and dry traction from many different sources. If you would like, I can post some first-hand feedback on them after they get rolled on for a week or two.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:43 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Toiletbrush
I asked the same question to a guy at a tuning shop over here and he said to go with the Azenis ST-115's, so I did. I have heard nothing but good about these tires for wet (it rains a lot here, so this was very important to me) and dry traction from many different sources. If you would like, I can post some first-hand feedback on them after they get rolled on for a week or two.
yes! please do let me know how you like them. to tell you i was looking at the rt 215's azenis sports are your st 115's anything like that tread pattern kinda like the potenza II or are these completely different? thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 04 WRB STi
Originally Posted by dubRexer
i know this has been debated a bunch here on i-club but for my sake i rather debate different brands
what would you guys recommend for the all around 'best' track/ daily driver/ dry and wet tire? I know it's impossible to really get a tire that covers that broad of an 'area' but what does the best wet and dry for track and daily driving? r compound? i've already contemplated azenis sports and advan neovas etc... help!
peace.
ps - looking to not go with bridgestone, nitto, pirelli, kuhmo..
Sorry, I don't post here much, wasn't aware that it's been debated already. To put my opinion in perspective, I used to work for a race car shop/ team so I have a good amount of experience dealing with wheels and tires.

1) Falken ST-115 Azenis- best dry, ok wet, ok wear.
2) Michelin PS2- excellent all around.
3) Advan Neova AD07- excellent all around but not as good as the PS2.

Toyos are dangerous in the rain and will wear really fast. Though they're durable for an R, their tread rating is still under 100. In other words, they are not good street tires. If you're looking for decent R street tires that are cheap and work in teh wet, try the Dunlop Super Sport Race tires.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:32 PM

Talking

thanks for the input. the dunlops seem alright. actually i would rather not have a cheap tire at all. i want the all around best drag, street race tire that will fair o.k. in wet conditions.. i have a set of winter (snow tires) - blizzaks on my stock rims (studless of course).
any ideas people? peace.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 WRX, '97 Forester S/Tb, '95 WRX-RA
After having the ST-115's on for a couple weeks, I can say they are an overall amazing tire. Very very quiet, and lateral grip like you wouldn't expect from a tire that is supposed to be superior in both wet and dry conditions. The 40 profile is a bit rough when combined with coilovers and crappy roads, but on the track, they should feel right at home. When these things go bald (maybe never... 360 wear rating on an AWD vehicle), I will go for the same unless Falken drops an even better tire from the sky.