Last couple days in Iraq, deadliest days for US Forces in 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Unhappy Last couple days in Iraq, deadliest days for US Forces in 2 years

So about 2 days ago, we lost 31 Marines in the helicoptor crash and 4 soldiers in small arms firefights and car bombings, and another in another firefight. Then, the next day, another Marine. Now, sitting here watching MSNBC....another helicoptor went down, this time a crew of 2. No word on the crew's condition, the rescue team is on its way as we speak. This **** is starting to sound like Samalia over again....chopper after chopper...but they aren't even being shot down. The 1st crash was out in the Western desert and the cause was credited to the weather....bad dust storm. The second, the one today, was believed to have flown into some powerlines. I hate hearing about this stuff....it makes me so sad. War is war, and lives will be lost, but losing lives because of incidents like this is extremely tragic. These next few days are gonna be so tough over there...my heart and prayers go out to all our brothers and sisters in the service.

*EDIT* We just lost 5 more soldiers...right after I wrote this thread.

Last edited by EndlessWaltz RS; 01-28-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
This **** is starting to sound like Samalia over again....chopper after chopper...but they aren't even being shot down.
So explain to me how this is Mogadishu again?

You do realize that there's such a thing as training accidents too, right? Where's the media coverage and your thread on that?

I’m not trying to attack you... I just want to make sure you know what you’re saying and I understand you 110%.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

No, I realize this...accedents happen, and it sucks cuz not much can be done.

My reasoning for throwing the "Mog" comment was just because of the loss of 2 choppers....thats all. Hopefully we have seen the last of these types of incidents, but I don't think that is true, as much as I want it to be.

The second chopper was on a recon mission I believe, not during training. I don't know about the 1st tho. There were others in the air when the first went down...troops on the other choppers said they heard a boom and then saw the other aircraft go down.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:29 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Unhappy

Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
So about 2 days ago, we lost 31 Marines in the helicoptor crash...
One of those 31 was Joseph Spence, who married a friend of mine Elisabeth Bertsch.
They had a daughter together, she is 4 months old and never had the chance to be held in her fathers arms.
I wasn't close with Joe, but friends with his wife, and youngest brother Roger.

I can only imagine what sort of loss this is for Roger, he had one of the nicest, kindest brothers I have ever met. And Liz now has a child to raise, and that child will never have any memories of her father.

..Matt
Old 01-28-2005, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SubyDuz
I was in Iraq during this past year, and let me tell you shizzle happens there. THe people there are not rational as far as normal perception of life and death go.

As for the soldiers that die over there it is a tragedy when ever it happens and it saddens me everytime I read about it. But the people over there the "bad guys" don't care who they hurt or why they do it, if they die, then they go to heaven. If the die for their cause in there heads they get 10 virgins in heaven. If we shoot one, then we are the infidel (even though it was him or me), but if they shoot into the air and the bullet hits his brother and kills him then "UM Shala" (God Willing) and oh well it was gods hand. Not the fact that I pulled the trigger on the gun and sent the bullet up in the air and back down.

Another thing most people over there appreciate the fact that we are rebuilding there country and trying to help. The country has been killing each other for 3000 yrs and will continue doing so after we leave. It is all this generation knows, so in order to understand what it is like over there one must experiance it first hand. WHich i highly reccomend not doing simply because of what you will witness within hours of being there on the ground. Much Much worse than CNN allows us AMericans to see. CNN is full of $hit on most subjects so be proud of our soldiers for what they do for us.

WHich allows us to be able to trick our subies, roll around town with out getting blown up, don't have to worry about someone trying to chop off your head and most importantly there would be no motorsport venues if it weren't for them and there sacrifices.
I can just imagine...and I am so not suprised to hear about CNN and all the other networks sugarcoating everything. Very glad to hear you made it home safely.

Originally Posted by mcdrama
One of those 31 was Joseph Spence, who married a friend of mine Elisabeth Bertsch.
They had a daughter together, she is 4 months old and never had the chance to be held in her fathers arms.
I wasn't close with Joe, but friends with his wife, and youngest brother Roger.

I can only imagine what sort of loss this is for Roger, he had one of the nicest, kindest brothers I have ever met. And Liz now has a child to raise, and that child will never have any memories of her father.

..Matt
Matt,

Im sorry to hear that. My thoughts go out to your friend Elisabeth and her family. I think more and more people are telling stories of friends who have lost their lives over there, and I hate that...that being the fact that we are losing so many good people over there that a lot of people you run into these days have a story to tell.

One of my ex girlfriends is married to a serviceman. One of his best friends was on patrol when a suicide bomber attacked. He tried to drive a truck full of explosives at a group of soldiers, but my ex's husband's friend drove his hummer straight into the suicide bomber, saving the rest...people like that make me proud. Her husband is being deployed in March as an assistant team leader, manning the .50 on top of one of the hummers.