Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

'05 STI and exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru STI
Question '05 STI and exhaust setup

I am new to this forum and I'm sure this question has been asked in some fashion or another elsewhere, so I please excuse me.
Question is:
I have an '05 STI stock except for intake. I love the sound of the boxer motor and would like to hear a little more of it. I am also interested in better flow to match in intake. I don't want it to be too loud and definately don't want any "droning" sound inside the car. When this is done I will turn my attention to the ECU.

I was thinking about the following:
Catless downpipe
3" mid-pipe
stock muffler or other "stockish" 3" muffler

Thank you.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
What up and welcome!

As long as the muffler is not "Straight Through" then I'd say the sound wouldn't be too bad. Obviously, you will have an increase but overall it really depends on:

1. Muffler Type?
-Straight through will be loud
-Baffled is going to reduce the sound.

2. Are you planning to add resonators?

3. You could go with the trusty Borla Hush which is pretty tame until WOT. Seems to be a favorite.

There are tons of ways to work this so you get nice increases while keeping yourself away from being too loud.

In Addition, I wouldn't add a TBE (Down Pipe And Cat Back) without a Tune.

Last edited by KOSTI; 10-20-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 06 STi Full Cobb TBE Stage 2 OTS
Originally Posted by KOSTI
What up and welcome!

As long as the muffler is not "Straight Through" then I'd say the sound wouldn't be too bad. Obviously, you will have an increase but overall it really depends on:

1. Muffler Type?
-Straight through will be loud
-Baffled is going to reduce the sound.

2. Are you planning to add resonators?

3. You could go with the trusty Borla Hush which is pretty tame until WOT. Seems to be a favorite.

There are tons of ways to work this so you get nice increases while keeping yourself away from being too loud.

In Addition, I wouldn't add a TBE (Down Pipe And Cat Back) without a Tune.
i just installed my cobb turbo back exhaust. sounds awesome and runs nice. i can feel the extra power. my rpms dont jump or anything like that, but the car does back fire when i hit the gas repeatedly (i love how it sounds sorry), so i guess im running a little rich? i plan on getting the access port in december. can it damage my car running it like that for awhile before i get the access port?

Originally Posted by jgaultus
I am new to this forum and I'm sure this question has been asked in some fashion or another elsewhere, so I please excuse me.
Question is:
I have an '05 STI stock except for intake. I love the sound of the boxer motor and would like to hear a little more of it. I am also interested in better flow to match in intake. I don't want it to be too loud and definately don't want any "droning" sound inside the car. When this is done I will turn my attention to the ECU.

I was thinking about the following:
Catless downpipe
3" mid-pipe
stock muffler or other "stockish" 3" muffler

Thank you.
the cobb tbe sounds like the answer to your problems. 3'' mid pipe, looks like stock muffler, sounds awesome and truly brings out the boxer rumble. sounds very clean and u can feel the extra power. its loud, but not as loud as some after market tbe's like the helix. with the windows up you can still hear the rumble but slightly. with windows down, oh man oh man, music to my ears love it! the quality on the cobb is top notch and is quite expensive. i bought all my stuff new for $1400 which included the entire cobb tbe, 4 blue exhaust hangers, and cobb heat shield and also including shipping and handling for the entire setup. install is easy, but it took me awhile cuz the damn stock downpipe wouldnt come off. i recommend always having an extra hand help u for such an install. removing the intercooler is easiest, but it is not required. i got around intalling without removing the intercooler, but it was a pain positioning my hands, arms, and body in akward positions. anyway, anymore questions? if u got the money bro, trust me the cobb is well worth it. very nice exhaust, cobb really knows how to make their stuff!

Last edited by RageSTi06; 10-24-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:41 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
You should have engine management, such as Access Port, before going to TBE. It's been covered many times and if you do a search you'll get more info. I wouldn't run a TBE without some tune. I know the older models could run without management, I think that was 2002-03 but you can search that.

Regardless, with your year you should have a tune!