Rim repair shops?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Rim repair shops?

I've searched this forum for rim repair shops, and there seems to be a consensus that Wheel Technique is the shop of choice. But I hear both extremes about them, I hear they do a crap job, and I also hear they do a wonderful job. I'm picking up a set of gram lights, and one of the rims has a dent in them. Can anyone affirm that Wheel Technique is great or terrible? Or recommend another shop? How much should I expect to spend?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Car Info: toaster
i had a cracked rim and i took it to them because they are the only ones that weld around the bay area..... they do a good job, paint matching isnt perfect but i knew that beforehand that it was hard to paint match..... overall an OK experience but i would not drive all the way down there again just to fix a bend. they are the most expensive around here though. look to spend $150- $200 for one rim.......

if i had a bent rim i would try Rite Way wheel in walnut creek..... very helpful people and great advice. a lot cheaper as well. just my .02 cents

WES
Old 08-20-2008, 03:42 PM

I just read wheel techniques' review on yelp.com... 4 reviews 1 star each... I'm kind of scared to take anything to them
Old 08-20-2008, 04:25 PM

Car Info: 07 specB
Originally Posted by gottaWRX

if i had a bent rim i would try Rite Way wheel in walnut creek..... very helpful people and great advice. a lot cheaper as well. just my .02 cents

WES
is that the one on alpine?? thats what i was gonna reco too. my mom has a G37S and had a G35 before that and she parks way to close to curbs! scratched the **** out of her 18s on the 35 and her 19s on the 37 and they fixed them proper
Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 PM

Car Info: Wish it was still my WRB STI
Give Rolling Stock in SF a call but more than likely they'll want you to bring the wheels in. It'll definitely be cheaper than Wheel Techniques.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:36 PM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
it's not local, but even local wheel repair is gonn take a few days to a week. years ago, i sent a 3 pc jdm wheel for one of my old rides down to Mag Masters in Santa Ana after one my friends (R.I.P.) curbed it. they did a stellar job with the repair. No one could tell where the damaged originally was. MM is pretty well known in the custom+car show world. they do plating/refinishing/repairs on all types of metalwork not just wheels.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:38 PM

oh and turnaround was pretty quick....just a lil over a week, incl roundtrip shipping.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:02 AM

Car Info: White 04 WRX
Originally Posted by xqwizit
Give Rolling Stock in SF a call but more than likely they'll want you to bring the wheels in. It'll definitely be cheaper than Wheel Techniques.
i had brought my rims to rolling stock to get some curb rash removed and refinish the lips. They did do it for a very good price, but the work was just ok IMO. After picking up the rims, i was still able to see a lot of light haze marks all around the lip. I repolished, but i could still see it.

Also, I had dropped it off on a wednesday morning, they told me it would be done by friday afternoon and they'd call me. Never got a call, so i called monday and then they said it was not done at all yet because the guy was out of town. They said it would be done in a couple days (the following weds from when i originally dropped it off). I would have liked it done by when they had told me, but it was ok since i was not in a huge rush.

Overall, they did an alright job, it probably could have been done better and not say it will be done a specific time and not have it done. My friend and I both ran into this problem. I'm still undecided if I will bring more rims to be refinished there.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Anyone have experience at MotorSportTechniques or Roger Krause in Castro Valley (582-5031)?

And how much should I expect to pay for curb rash repair and wheel bend? small one.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by chinoyboi
Anyone have experience at MotorSportTechniques or Roger Krause in Castro Valley (582-5031)?

And how much should I expect to pay for curb rash repair and wheel bend? small one.
one of my friends co-owns motorsport techniques in hayward, and a few others, incl one of my good buds, wrenches there. it's one of the biggest shops in the bay....do alignments, engine swaps, reg maintenance, etc. i don't think they do their own wheel repairs tho, so i can't comment on that.

Roger Krause has been around for a long time and is a very reputable shop. they cater to the more hardcore motorsport enthusiasts, incl the porsche guys....very popular for alignments and suspension work.

you might want to look into wheels america in union city. i've heard they do pretty good work. i went there way back when i was scouting places for that wheel i mentioned before. the shop looked a lil run down, so that's why i ended up sending the wheel to Mag Masters in SoCal. apparently some bay area porsche and even ferrari guys have no reservations about using WA tho. one guy from SF that had a crazy green GT3RS, Bentley GT....among other toy$, incl. a Carrera GT now, repaired some wheels there and was satisfied. guy is a pretty big perfectionist too.

as for pricing, it really depends on the type of wheel you have and extent of the damaged area(s). painted lipped wheels tend to cost more to repair than polished ones. average price for a quality curb rash repair is around $100-$125.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Shops cars: 07 STI & 07 Lotus Exige S
Go to Wheels America in Hayward. This is the shop that is used by the majority of auto body shops..

--Bryan aka Ballz