Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

extended warranty service or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
extended warranty service or not?

so.. the other day i had a call from subarus warranty company sayin that i have past the 60k/5 year warranty (i have 75k on my 04) and thye asked if i woould like to renew my warranty or aka extend it... the offer they gave to me was 5 years for 2500. then i asked to speak to a manager because i wasnt sure if this was acutally a subaru warranty represenitive. so thye gave me all their info and the manager gave me a deal for 2280 for 7YEARS!! or until 180k miles.

so no my question is... is it worth it to get the extended warranty or not? my tranny feels like its starting to go out... 1st has a hard time going in ever so often same with reverse.. and 4th gear also.. everytime i shift it grinds and i mean everytime.. so should i get the extended warranty or not.

any thoughts to this would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-16-2008, 06:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
time for RA gears

jk, hope you get everything taken care of.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 PM

i would love ra gears... but i dont think i can afford them at the age of 18 with major bils... god damn wyotech...snap-on...bank of america.. best buys.. SCREW THEM ALL!1!!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:13 PM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
lol .. wyotech ... same here . too many bills to pay .... i don't think i can afford any aftermarket stuff to put on my subie i would go for the warranty if my tranny was going out.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:16 PM

yea but im afraid that subaru will say something to this effect' modified car... voids warranty to any engine/tranny problem"
Old 01-16-2008, 09:05 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
notice how none of the i-club members that work at a Suby dealer will reply to this aka dont renew!

$2200 is a lot of money to play with, as long as a catastrophe doesnt happen.

Think of it as if you dont spend it and nothing happens, you have the money to spend, if something does happen say for $5000, big deal suck it up and pay the difference of $2800 on top of what your $2200 wouldve cost you.

Last edited by kYLEMtnCRUZr; 01-16-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
The only major 'problem' the WRX has really is the gears snapping and the way subaru deals with it is basically hit or miss. If it were me, i'd just save the money and hope that there will be more cheaper options for us down the line.

A used wrx tranny can also be had for ~~$1200 i think? Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
save your monay.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 PM

damn so much money.. i guess no more warranty for me...
Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
use that 2 Gs for RA gears
Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 AM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
even you get the extended warranty, the day you bring your car to the dealership, they will just simply tell you that your car has been moded. and VOID your warranty.

you can always go to GST, LIC, MPJ those local shops if anything go wrong
Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
heres a little first hand experience.

3rd day i had my car (brand new, with 6yr 100k warranty) i put 50 miles on the car and 2nd gear got jacked up.. i didn't do **** to it.. no rough riding because i knew from many threads of reading before i got the car that the tranny wasn't the best.

well 50 miles after owning the car (200 miles, because i bought it brand new with 150 miles on it.. hmm odd)

but anyways they completely refused to replace my tranny called me a liar, and that i could goto hell..

once i got a lawyer they eventually said ok, we will split it.. and i took that offer because it was better than paying the whole thing or waiting a year for a court case..

moral of the story? **** the subaru warranty when it comes to anything important.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:57 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX, tuned by Ed@EQ
yeah - i'm on the same page as evsoul. if you read up on the extended warrenty literature, there are SOO many restrictions that practically nothing is actually covered.

i got burned a few months back on warranty work, had to fight Subaru of America Warranty reps for a while after an issue that was clearly their fault...and that was only for $400 of repair work. sounds like they fight harder for larger issues like trannys. keep your money and befriend a mechanic who can help swap large parts like that in the future.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by A.V.E.
use that 2 Gs for RA gears
this is a very good option.

The warranty is a gamble, you could get it and never need it, or you could not get it and then need it tomorrow. Even if you get it, dealing with the service department can be a gamble. My buddy had his engine seize and it would cost $2k for subaru to figure out if it would be under warranty because he's modified. He went the other route and paid more money for a built block (didn't want to pay $2k to find out Subaru wouldn't cover it and then still have to spend $6k on a new engine) but then it turned out it was from a broken oil pick-up line, which probably would have been covered because it was a part failure not resulting from the modification

The other thing to look at is if it is atually a SOA warranty or if its a 3rd-party company. I got the extended warranty when i got my car used and it was a lame 3rd-party company. I'd have to pay out of pocket and then submit a claim to them and see if they'd pay me back
Old 01-17-2008, 09:09 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB WRX Wagon Limited Edition
I actually just cancelled my extended warranty. When I first bought my car I was pushed pretty hard to get the extended warranty. After careful consideration I realized I could do more with the $2500 in my pocket. Hopefully, nothing major happens after my warranty is up, but you have to weigh your options and decide what is better for you.

Quick Reply: extended warranty service or not?