Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

How to change a Thermostat on my 04 Sti

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:05 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STI
How to change a Thermostat on my 04 Sti

well my car has been heating up recently when i do complete stops for a while but once i start moving agian the temp goes down...i've done my research and people say that's due to a faulty thermostat...

So i've been looking for a write up on how to change the thermostat but couldn't find any...can anyone help me? thanx
Old 07-31-2006, 06:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
That doesn't necessarily sound like a thermostat. Have you checked to be sure the fans are running when they are supposed to? If they aren't working properly it would cause exactly this problem.
A bad thermostat would restrict flow to the radiator and the car would probably be running hot all the time, not just when stopped.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:57 AM

Car Info: 2002 4EAT MBP wrx wagon
thermostat hm. Okay, first get the car up on ramps or stands if your prefer but I used ramps. Undo the lower radiator hose connection where it meets the thermostat housing, not at the radiator. Be careful at this step as this is to drain the coolant, have a catch pan under as well as a tarp/cardboard , wear eye protection and have some rags ready to stop up the hose so you can direct it into the catch pan. when you disconnect the hose, the silver housing where it was attached to is where the thermostat is. You'll need a 10mm (maybe 12mm can't remember) a 3 inch extension and a rachet. Be careful as this is a tight squeeze, may need to remove a rad fan. There are two bolts on the housing, remove those and you'll see the thermostat. pry it out and install your new one (I recommend crucial racing's) remember to put on the oem gasket on the new tstat if yours didn't come with one and remember to install the tstat in the right direction. reinstall everything in reverse order, fill back up with coolant at the upper resivoir and burp the system and you're done.